Remaining games

Chat about anything football related here!
terrya1965

Re: Remaining games

Post by terrya1965 »

Ibbyham wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:44 pm
h69 wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:28 pm

There is a reason why noone has bought him.
Perhaps he is NOT as strong as we think as his current club the league is no where as strong as our leagues or top European Leagues. I would rather use Oxo-Flex or Perkins to step up to Antonio plate if I were Moyes as both are doing very well in U23 and surely are ready to go for it. Lyall did that with Cottee and look how he did for us in 1985-86.
Cottee was banging in a lot of goals at 16/17 for our reserves. I remember seeing him score a brace against Barnet in a pre season friendly in 1982.You knew he was going to make it then.He made his debut on New Years day 1983 v Spurs and netted in a 3-0 win.

Ibbyham

Post by Ibbyham »

h69 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:27 pm

Perhaps he is NOT as strong as we think as his current club the league is no where as strong as our leagues or top European Leagues. I would rather use Oxo-Flex or Perkins to step up to Antonio plate if I were Moyes as both are doing very well in U23 and surely are ready to go for it. Lyall did that with Cottee and look how he did for us in 1985-86.
I heard that he is a bit of a Diva
That why Moyes is not 100% sure.
"I am always correct", but "if I am wrong", please refer to the first phrase.

Ibbyham

Post by Ibbyham »

terrya1965 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:28 pm

Cottee was banging in a lot of goals at 16/17 for our reserves. I remember seeing him score a brace against Barnet in a pre season friendly in 1982.You knew he was going to make it then.He made his debut on New Years day 1983 v Spurs and netted in a 3-0 win.
He was the last West Ham proper youth striker to emerge as an excellent proven goal-scorer in 1982 and since then we didn't have a proper youth players-turned into top professional striker although Defoe was brought from Charlton when he was 16 and did well but did not stay with us for long as we got relegated under Roeder.

I watch the West Ham vs Leicester U23 and Oxo-Flex look a hell of a good striker and Perkins doing well so whether they are strong enough for the Premier League level is to remain to be seen. Hope both of them will feature in FA Cup against the Kiddies and see how they will give.

I remember Danny Williamson in 1993 when everyone thought he was the next Cottee but he failed to live with his reputation, and same for Freddie Sears.
"I am always correct", but "if I am wrong", please refer to the first phrase.

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

Ibbyham wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:58 am
terrya1965 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:28 pm

He was the last West Ham proper youth striker to emerge as an excellent proven goal-scorer in 1982 and since then we didn't have a proper youth players-turned into top professional striker although Defoe was brought from Charlton when he was 16 and did well but did not stay with us for long as we got relegated under Roeder.

I watch the West Ham vs Leicester U23 and Oxo-Flex look a hell of a good striker and Perkins doing well so whether they are strong enough for the Premier League level is to remain to be seen. Hope both of them will feature in FA Cup against the Kiddies and see how they will give.

I remember Danny Williamson in 1993 when everyone thought he was the next Cottee but he failed to live with his reputation, and same for Freddie Sears.
Danny Williamson picked up a very bad injury not long after he left us for Everton. Had to retire. Apparently Freddie Sears is now playing for Colchester.
Scored on his debut for us as I recall but never looked like developing into a PL quality striker. Had a decentish lower league career with Ipswich though.
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

h69

Post by h69 »

Whiskyman wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:44 am
Ibbyham wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:58 am

Danny Williamson picked up a very bad injury not long after he left us for Everton. Had to retire. Apparently Freddie Sears is now playing for Colchester.
Scored on his debut for us as I recall but never looked like developing into a PL quality striker. Had a decentish lower league career with Ipswich though.
We rarely let anyone go from the youth set up who goes on to better things. Houghton may be the last one that I can recall as I don't think Stanislas has done enough to warrant a mention.

JayK

Post by JayK »

h69 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:50 pm

We rarely let anyone go from the youth set up who goes on to better things. Houghton may be the last one that I can recall as I don't think Stanislas has done enough to warrant a mention.
Weren’t John Terry on our books?
COYI!!!

h69

Post by h69 »

JayK wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:18 pm

Yeah he was definitely with us I think but was not sure of whether he was let go or whether he never signed in the first place.

Brookbonds73

Post by Brookbonds73 »

As was Kenny Dalglish.
We know our onions.
Love a cup of Rosey I do.

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

Houghton had an excellent career after being allowed to leave and I think he is the only one who it can be said went on to have a top level career. Stanislas has had a very good career, including many games at the top level, and it could be said played at the same level as West Ham for much of his career. I can't think of too many others, apart from Richard Garcia, one of the 1999 FAYC winning team I believe, who even played at the top level for any number of games. There may be one or two others and no doubt their names will crop up here if anyone can think of any.

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

He was. But I think it was his choice to leave and join Chelsea rather than the club's. Tony Adams also had the chance of signing for us as a kid but chose Arsenal. No doubt there are others like that.