Oficial January Transfer Window Thread

Chat about anything football related here!
jameskel

Re: Oficial January Transfer Window Thread

Post by jameskel »

:D :D it is

but we need a striker,not having one, will be fucking shit for our brand
Covid in the Boardroom

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

jameskel wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 3:43 pm :D :D it is

but we need a striker,not having one, will be fucking shit for our brand
Our brand ? That would be Russell , I assume.
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

terrya1965

Post by terrya1965 »

Whiskyman wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 2:48 pm
h69 wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 2:24 pm

I think if a player is running down his contract for the summer by now, the chances are that he wants a huge payday and signing on fee as a free player and will not move. You can blame Mr Bosman for that(and I dont blame them by the way). Case in point regarding Christensen and Rudiger at the Chavs.

Lingard was an exception because he was desperate to play now (if the reports are correct of course) but Man United would not deal with us and wanted to rip off Newcastle.

There is the odd bargain but they normally are players being dumped like Digne, Coutinho or Aubameyang but that is not an easy market either, I think all the clubs around the top and bottom with something to play for were looking for those but I think most of the deals done were loans which apparently are not good enough for our fans....

Summer will be a lot better and will indicate whether we are really interested spending record fees. To be fair, Zouma cost a fortune if you take into account all the addons and wages so a few more like him and I would be happy.
The problem with a large number of our fans, or so it appears, is that if bids are made for players of quality they are "offers with no chance of succeeding". But if loan players or cheap option are brought in they aren't good enough.

Probably being unfair to say "our fans". I've had a laugh listening to some of the Mr Angrys from West Ham, Spurs, Arsenal & Everton, to name 4 and I think it's fair to say that attitude is pretty common throughout the football world.
Your right,we all have our cross to bare.

I think a lot of us are disappointed and frustrated with what could have pushed us on.

Both sensible posts by you and and H69.

eskimo joe

Post by eskimo joe »

terrya1965 wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 9:12 pm
Whiskyman wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 2:48 pm

The problem with a large number of our fans, or so it appears, is that if bids are made for players of quality they are "offers with no chance of succeeding". But if loan players or cheap option are brought in they aren't good enough.

Probably being unfair to say "our fans". I've had a laugh listening to some of the Mr Angrys from West Ham, Spurs, Arsenal & Everton, to name 4 and I think it's fair to say that attitude is pretty common throughout the football world.

I think a lot of us are disappointed and frustrated with what could have pushed us on.

I think a little perspective is required, as you know there are two sides to a story, can be seen if one cares to look and not highlight one side only.

£50 mil bid, no.chance of succeeding?! Depends when you place it, that and the situation is the point,not whether or not we could get said player. And at this point it is ambitious.

Sounding out ?! Maybe, but it was done at a time strategically convenient for them. They got history in this sort of shit from the day they took over, so is there any wonder that people look at this with a vast amount of scepticism?!

Maybe, if one day they pulled off one of these ventures then maybe, just maybe people would be less inclined to see it as nothing less than a game.
whufc_crest whufc_crest whufc_crest

h69

Post by h69 »

eskimo joe wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 5:38 am

I think a little perspective is required, as you know there are two sides to a story, can be seen if one cares to look and not highlight one side only.

£50 mil bid, no.chance of succeeding?! Depends when you place it, that and the situation is the point,not whether or not we could get said player. And at this point it is ambitious.

Sounding out ?! Maybe, but it was done at a time strategically convenient for them. They got history in this sort of shit from the day they took over, so is there any wonder that people look at this with a vast amount of scepticism?!

Maybe, if one day they pulled off one of these ventures then maybe, just maybe people would be less inclined to see it as nothing less than a game.
Maybe maybe not. We won't know really but I prefer not to get so worked up about it. I also think people are mad if they think that anything we do in Jan would 'push us on'. It would take a lot of money to move us up a another level and definitely a summer window at least if not two. We have only just got to this level and it will take some money in the summer just to sustain that.

But I go back to the way Liverpool bid for VVD at the end of a windows with little chance of acquiring him. It unsettled the player and led to him moving 2 windows later. Its a risk as it can also piss off the club like they did there and it can get acrimonious but I've seen it happen a lot. Newcastle did the same thing with Diego Carlos. Whether it work depends on whether the players in question are happy with their current clubs plight or in the case of one or two happy to change leagues.

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

In any industry where top people command big salaries there is sounding out going on all the time.. "Head Hunting" it's called isn't it ? And I think we'd be very naive if we thought the same thing wasn't happening in football. The transfer windows might be the only time that actual transfers can happen but I'd bet a very large wad of cash that the head hunting and sounding out is happening all the time.
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

eskimo joe

Post by eskimo joe »

Whiskyman wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 4:25 pm

In any industry where top people command big salaries there is sounding out going on all the time.. "Head Hunting" it's called isn't it ? And I think we'd be very naive if we thought the same thing wasn't happening in football. The transfer windows might be the only time that actual transfers can happen but I'd bet a very large wad of cash that the head hunting and sounding out is happening all the time.
That was not relevant to the point, of course head hunting goes on, and in this incident neither you or i are privy to rhe reasons, if it happened at all, The point is it has been their MO in most windows, and to many its not the disbelief that we would fork out 50 mil for a player, some maybe but not all, its the fact its a carbon copy of all the other windows, Go for a player and either piss about and not get him ( and thats not down to anything other than Sullivan), or go the Van Nistol Roy route, ( like he would have come here at the time).. Is it any wonder people react with disbelief? Sullivan sowed the seeds now unfortunately he reaping the rewards.

eskimo joe

Post by eskimo joe »

eskimo joe wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 4:43 pm

That was not relevant to the point, of course head hunting goes on, and in this incident neither you or i are privy to rhe reasons, if it happened at all, The point is it has been their MO in most windows, and to many its not the disbelief that we would fork out 50 mil for a player, some maybe but not all, its the fact its a carbon copy of all the other windows, Go for a player and either piss about and not get him ( and thats not down to anything other than Sullivan), or go the Van Nistol Roy route, ( like he would have come here at the time).. Is it any wonder people react with disbelief? Sullivan sowed the seeds now unfortunately he 1s reaping the rewards.

h69

Post by h69 »

That was not relevant to the point, of course head hunting goes on, and in this incident neither you or i are privy to rhe reasons, if it happened at all, The point is it has been their MO in most windows, and to many its not the disbelief that we would fork out 50 mil for a player, some maybe but not all, its the fact its a carbon copy of all the other windows, Go for a player and either piss about and not get him ( and thats not down to anything other than Sullivan), or go the Van Nistol Roy route, ( like he would have come here at the time).. Is it any wonder people react with disbelief? Sullivan sowed the seeds now unfortunately he reaping the rewards.
When was Van Nistelrooy linked with us ? I dont remember that ! (genuine question)
I thought Man Utd had him firmly in their sights for two years before he signed for them when he did his ACL.

I get what you are saying but I heard the same when we signed Anderson and Zouma but it turned out we did buy them so we will probably never know. All I know is that January transfers are far more complicated than most of us on here think they are

eskimo joe

Post by eskimo joe »

h69 wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 4:49 pm

When was Van Nistelrooy linked with us ? I dont remember that ! (genuine question)
I thought Man Utd had him firmly in their sights for two years before he signed for them when he did his ACL.

I get what you are saying but I heard the same when we signed Anderson and Zouma but it turned out we did buy them so we will probably never know. All I know is that January transfers are far more complicated than most of us on here think they are
At. The early stages of Sullivan's,residency with us and I think when Nistolroy was due to leave Manure he stated he had offered Van-Nistolroy £100k a week to join. Also said we were one of three clubs after him. I only remember it because it was funny at the time and I didn't think for a second he would come, we were relegation material at the time.