Bin Dippers

Chat about anything football related here!
h69

Re: Bin Dippers

Post by h69 »

Towie wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:54 pm
h69 wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:22 pm

Er....you can question what you want mate, I didnt say anything about not questioning things did ?

The question was 'is it negative to question the style ?' and my opinion is yes, it is negative. But negativity are often what forums are for. I didnt say you couldnt question anything.

Defending is as much a part of the game. The ends in this case justified the means in my opinion.
Why is it negative to question style?

As I’ve said we dominated last part of 1st half, why not continue that when it is working.

2nd half wasn’t working and we could quite easily have lost that game another day.

But if you are happy watching your team constantly defending so be it.
It was a negative comment about the style but I didnt say it was wrong, It was your opinion but you are welcome to it.
I just disagree with your view as I always do with people when winning is not enough and the style stuff gets wheeled out once again.

Me personally, I look at the way Leeds started the second half as far better than the way they ended the first half and can see why we adapted the way we did and ultimately it worked....for me it was a positive move that generated the points. Chelsea used to be excellent at getting ahead and then defending their lead. It is an art in my opinion.

I thought Leeds were good in the second half but their finishing was poor. That said, they had 17 shots and 2 on target and we had 16 shots and 5 on target so ultimately we were defensively far better and our attack was more clinical.

Opposing views are allowed surely.

Newmarket

Post by Newmarket »

h69 wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:03 pm

As I’ve said we dominated last part of 1st half, why not continue that when it is working.

2nd half wasn’t working and we could quite easily have lost that game another day.

I thought Leeds were good in the second half but their finishing was poor. That said, they had 17 shots and 2 on target and we had 16 shots and 5 on target so ultimately we were defensively far better and our attack was more clinical.

Of course they are , that’s what this place and places like it are for .
Do you not though , think that it was a dangerous game to play ? Pretty much inviting them on and saying “ wotcha gonna do” ?
A team with a better class of striker may well have scored the goals to reflect their possessional dominance.

After all Dirty Leeds did creat a lot of goal scoring opportunities.
I get that defending is a big part of the game , and no doubt we’ll be witnessing plenty of that on Sunday , but I think Towie was trying to point out that their defence isn’t much cop and why take the chance of letting a 2 goal lead slip when attack may have been the best form of defence in this case ?

Ultimately, yes , the tactic worked , but unless we get an early 2 goal lead from somewhere on Sunday it won’t work against Man Utd.

Or Chelsea . And probably not Arsenal either.

In my opinion of course.
Bring back Jonathon !

Towie

Post by Towie »

It was a negative comment about the style but I didnt say it was wrong, It was your opinion but you are welcome to it.
I just disagree with your view as I always do with people when winning is not enough and the style stuff gets wheeled out once again.

Me personally, I look at the way Leeds started the second half as far better than the way they ended the first half and can see why we adapted the way we did and ultimately it worked....for me it was a positive move that generated the points. Chelsea used to be excellent at getting ahead and then defending their lead. It is an art in my opinion.

One more try, I’ll rephrase it slightly different.

What is negative about questioning the tactics of a game?
It’s not what you do it is the way that you do it.

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

Newmarket wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:02 pm

Do you not though , think that it was a dangerous game to play ? Pretty much inviting them on and saying “ wotcha gonna do” ?
A team with a better class of striker may well have scored the goals to reflect their possessional dominance.

I get that defending is a big part of the game , and no doubt we’ll be witnessing plenty of that on Sunday , but I think Towie was trying to point out that their defence isn’t much cop and why take the chance of letting a 2 goal lead slip when attack may have been the best form of defence in this case ?

Ultimately, yes , the tactic worked , but unless we get an early 2 goal lead from somewhere on Sunday it won’t work against Man Utd.

In my opinion of course.
I feel quite sure Moyes and the coaching staff will be concerned they allowed Leeds to have that many shots on target. At least two of them, with better finishing, should have resulted in goals. I might be wrong but I can't recall too many other games where we have allowed the opposition to have so many scoring attempts.

The result justifies the means imo. Football is, after all, about winning. But for me it would be a lot easier to win, as a player, and certainly easier to watch, as a supporter, if we adopted a more possession based game management style when leading. It also makes counter attacking easier if you have the ball of course.
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

h69

Post by h69 »

Towie wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:35 pm

Depends what you say and whether what you say is justified in my opinion. In my mind, the comment you made was pretty negative about the way the team played. That is just how I saw your comment. That is cleary your opinion and you are entitled to it.
My opinion is different and I think there are more facets to football than just looking good and attacking at all cost. Differing opinion to yours, I thought that was how forums work or are we not allowed to enjoy doing the double over a supposed 'stylish' side that cannot defend for toffee.

h69

Post by h69 »

In my opinion of course.
Against Man United, I am not suggesting we should play the same way though. The post was about the game v Leeds.

I do think it can be a risk but football is all about taking risks and against that particular opponent I thought it was the right thing to do as they tend to go out all guns blazing at the beginning of each half but lose a bit of steam later on.

They are most vulnerable at set pieces....in fact the most vulnerable in the PL by all accounts so getting two goals up and keeping it tight against them worked fine. Against another team maybe we should play slightly differently but sometimes the other team makes you play a certain way.

I would argue that playing open and attacking football would have left ourselves open to Leeds gung ho attack and our attacking play was not that great in the first half either. Both goals were set pieces and players like Lingard and Antonio were struggling to break them down. It happens sometimes and you have to react accordingly. The same happened at the end of the away game with them. They missed a sitter right at the end to equalise.

Against Man United, we will likely have to play a different way depending on the way they set up.

Newmarket

Post by Newmarket »

h69 wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:05 am

In my opinion of course.
Against Man United, I am not suggesting we should play the same way though. The post was about the game v Leeds.

I do think it can be a risk but football is all about taking risks and against that particular opponent I thought it was the right thing to do as they tend to go out all guns blazing at the beginning of each half but lose a bit of steam later on.

They are most vulnerable at set pieces....in fact the most vulnerable in the PL by all accounts so getting two goals up and keeping it tight against them worked fine. Against another team maybe we should play slightly differently but sometimes the other team makes you play a certain way.

I would argue that playing open and attacking football would have left ourselves open to Leeds gung ho attack and our attacking play was not that great in the first half either. Both goals were set pieces and players like Lingard and Antonio were struggling to break them down. It happens sometimes and you have to react accordingly. The same happened at the end of the away game with them. They missed a sitter right at the end to equalise.

Against Man United, we will likely have to play a different way depending on the way they set up.
So , for the sheer hell of it , how do you think Moyes will approach Sunday’s game ?
Man Utd tend to play a lightning quick counter attacking game so I’m not expecting an open game as such.

It seems to me that we play a not-quite-as-quick counter attacking game in order to win corners and free kicks .

So neither side should want to hog possession and spend 90 minutes playing “excuse me sir , after YOU” :lol:

And how do YOU see it going ?
Bring back Jonathon !

Towie

Post by Towie »

h69 wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:59 am
Towie wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:35 pm

Depends what you say and whether what you say is justified in my opinion. In my mind, the comment you made was pretty negative about the way the team played. That is just how I saw your comment. That is cleary your opinion and you are entitled to it.
My opinion is different and I think there are more facets to football than just looking good and attacking at all cost. Differing opinion to yours, I thought that was how forums work or are we not allowed to enjoy doing the double over a supposed 'stylish' side that cannot defend for toffee.
So you think it negative for me to question the 2nd half tactics, When the 1st half tactics were working?

You seem to be satisfied with whatever happens, I will always hope Moyes looks at ways to which we can improve.

If that makes me negative so be it.
It’s not what you do it is the way that you do it.

mkhammer

Post by mkhammer »

Football Style and set up..
Think we're still in building mode...Moyes put the defensive side first,sorted that out,and it's paying off now so when we
are up against it ,we're pretty solid and hard to score against......Souceks been huge in that...the ability to switch to a 3/5..
Coufal..obviously,now Dawson,who'd a thought....has the defense really confident in what they can do.
But he's not defensively minded...can tell by the Players he has brought in...it's just a priority,a correct one,
Something Bielsa has to learn,otherwise Leeds will crash and burn...we played poorly,and still won easily..
Scouse are fucked now,their defense CB wise is all over the place...lost their best sitter in Henderson to play at
CB...huge mistake from Klomp...never thought I'd say that...
We have a sorted defense and 2 of the best sitters around..

Often you have to blame the players as much as the Manager when we don't fire...he picks more or less the same side
each game...and sometimes it's hard to get going when a team are coming at you,hard transition to attack...
Moyes keeps saying we have more gears...we def have..and is disappointed even tho we won,a win that took us 5th..
Great sign...not being happy,always wanting more.

We all said Peller needed couple seasons to build a side...with a 100 mill plus year spend...So......

Scouse thing...really Pleased I agreed to a Bet with Mr Whisky,if Scouse meet Bayern...in the CL..
What I get for Bigging the Scouse up...should have kept me trap shut..... :lol:

only1salty

Post by only1salty »

Newmarket wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:21 am
h69 wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:05 am

So , for the sheer hell of it , how do you think Moyes will approach Sunday’s game ?
Man Utd tend to play a lightning quick counter attacking game so I’m not expecting an open game as such.

It seems to me that we play a not-quite-as-quick counter attacking game in order to win corners and free kicks .

So neither side should want to hog possession and spend 90 minutes playing “excuse me sir , after YOU” :lol:

And how do YOU see it going ?
If the past is anything to by. Defend in numbers, take a 0-0 and try and score from a set piece. Modus operandi against big clubs.

Comparing us to Leeds is a non starter. They are a newly promoted team with championship players. we are meant to be an established premier league squad. At least they have a go and I commend them for it.

If I wanted to watch paint dry I would do that instead. There's a reason people moan about Mourinho despite his track record. His football brand is boring.