2022 FIFA World Cup thread

Chat about anything football related here!
eskimo joe

Re: 2022 FIFA World Cup thread

Post by eskimo joe »

terrya1965 wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 9:30 pm
BlackDiamond wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 9:09 pm
Mr Southgate wants so desperately to be viewed as a statesman,however every gesture portrays him as a simpering egotist. Why don't the FA remind him, he's a football manager not a milk monitor on Mumsnet
I think a lot of people in this country are fed up with the virtue signalling by our players,nevermind the rest of the World.It's like we are telling the rest that we are right and you are wrong.Other countries have their laws.You go there,you stick by them.If you don't agree,then don't go.
True... But at the same time you shouldn't have to go there on one set of rules only for them to be changed as soon as you arrive.

Like we all said, should have all stayed at home. As for FIFA and their hypocritical ways, I thought thieves got their hands chopped off in that country, or maybe I am just tarring them with the brush of others. And as for FIFA believing politics and football should be kept seperate, I quite agree, pity they don't practice what they preach.

Good opening ceremony shown on BBC so I read. Hope you all enjoyed it, I forwent the pleasure and settled for a warm fire a good book and a comfy pair of slippers.
Last edited by eskimo joe on Mon Nov 21, 2022 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
whufc_crest whufc_crest whufc_crest

tassiehammer

Post by tassiehammer »

Gareth Southgate the whole of England (And an old Stratford boy in Tasmania) are with you. Ohh its .....................................
Just like my dreams they fade and die.
But on the positive side..............

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

Newmarket wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 6:56 am
Whiskyman wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 11:48 pm

And a lot of other people are fed up with people foaming at the mouth and getting uptight over a stupid, meaningless gesture that has absolutely no impact, or relevance, whatsoever.

Oxygen of publicity I think Maggie called it back in the day.
You are of course correct.

However one can’t help the way one feels .

It doesn’t mean anything . But it’s people like Southgate and whoever is pulling his strings that are trying to give the impression we all feel the same way is what gets me foaming at the mouth .
We'll have to agree to disagree mate. My view is that the vast (silent) majority in the country are bright enough to see this sort of posturing for what it is. The England football team don't represent any views I hold, they are they to play a few games of football. Personally I think it's wrong for the F.A. or any other body to issue a directive to the team, we can agree on that. If individuals in that team want to take the knee, or even start kissing and cuddling each other in defiance of Qatar's stance on uphill gardening, they should do it, but, imo, no one has the right to demand everyone complies with their stupid instruction.

And if individual players feel as strongly as you obviously do on the subject they should have the balls to defy any such instruction. I believe Wiklfred Zaha and Ivan Toney are two players who have refused to take part in the ritual befpre PL matches. If they have the balls to do it there's no reason why others should not follow their example.

Tbh I've had no interest in the England international team since the F A appointed a Swede and an Italian to manage them, so maybe that influences my views more than others who do feel an affinity with the national team.
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

Newmarket

Post by Newmarket »

Whiskyman wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 7:55 am

It doesn’t mean anything . But it’s people like Southgate and whoever is pulling his strings that are trying to give the impression we all feel the same way is what gets me foaming at the mouth .
We'll have to agree to disagree mate. My view is that the vast (silent) majority in the country are bright enough to see this sort of posturing for what it is. The England football team don't represent any views I hold, they are they to play a few games of football. Personally I think it's wrong for the F.A. or any other body to issue a directive to the team, we can agree on that. If individuals in that team want to take the knee, or even start kissing and cuddling each other in defiance of Qatar's stance on uphill gardening, they should do it, but, imo, no one has the right to demand everyone complies with their stupid instruction.

And if individual players feel as strongly as you obviously do on the subject they should have the balls to defy any such instruction. I believe Wiklfred Zaha and Ivan Toney are two players who have refused to take part in the ritual befpre PL matches. If they have the balls to do it there's no reason why others should not follow their example.

Oh we DO agree . Your last paragraph is bang on .

I have no interest whatsoever in this World Cup , mostly due to the English David Moyes and his tactics / team selection /game management.
But this anti -shirt lifting (on the part of the Qatari’s) Wilberforce licking political posturing( on the part of whoever is responsible from England’s side) isn’t helping.
I don’t know what time the England game kicks off , hopefully I’m still at work , but if I’m about I might just tune in for the kick off … just out of curiosity, to see whether any of our players have grown a set of testicles yet.

And then switch off and listen to the Gonzo or something.
Bring back Jonathon !

BlackDiamond

Post by BlackDiamond »

Tbh I've had no interest in the England international team since the F A appointed a Swede and an Italian to manage them, so maybe that influences my views more than others who do feel an affinity with the national team.
It now seems the wearing of the OneLove armband might have to be entirely shelved - as the match officials will issue yellow-cards to anyone using the
'field of honour' as an area for personal protest.

Harry Kane is a little upset because nobody tells HK what to do. Gareth Southgate is simpering in the background like a girl who has just had her first finger - watching which way the wind blows

palerider

Post by palerider »

I've had a bet that every single goal scored in the WC will be by either a current or former West Ham player.

Looking good so far. :lol:

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

Newmarket wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:26 am

Oh we DO agree . Your last paragraph is bang on .

I have no interest whatsoever in this World Cup , mostly due to the English David Moyes and his tactics / team selection /game management.
But this anti -shirt lifting (on the part of the Qatari’s) Wilberforce licking political posturing( on the part of whoever is responsible from England’s side) isn’t helping.
I don’t know what time the England game kicks off , hopefully I’m still at work , but if I’m about I might just tune in for the kick off … just out of curiosity, to see whether any of our players have grown a set of testicles yet.

And then switch off and listen to the Gonzo or something.
I shall follow the World Cup because I love watching football. But I have had no interest whatsoever in England at international level since the country that invented the bloody game appointed first a Swede and then an Italian to oversee the national team. So excuse me if I don't have St George flags peering out of my car windows, a fucking great flagpole in my garden or any of the other nationalistic paraphernalia associated with international competition.

I won't watch every match of course, I'll pick and choose the ones I think will provide a bit of entertainment. However I don't think I would resort to anything quite as dramatic as listenuing to one of Gonzo's podcasts.

Unless of course he starts taking the knee, denounces prejudice against the uphill gardening community and demands freedom for Tibet prior to broadcasting.

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

BlackDiamond wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:43 am [
It now seems the wearing of the OneLove armband might have to be entirely shelved - as the match officials will issue yellow-cards to anyone using the

Harry Kane is a little upset because nobody tells HK what to do. Gareth Southgate is simpering in the background like a girl who has just had her first finger - watching which way the wind blows
Perhaps instead of wearing silly armbands Kane, as team captain, should arrange that, instead of walking in an orderly procession from tunnel to pitch, the team should appear in pairs, holding hands, and skipping. A sort of group mincing if you prefer to call it that.

And they seem to be promoting fudge packing to such an extent that it may be considered appropriate to enter the field of play to the strains of the old Tom Robinson anthem to turd burgling.

BlackDiamond

Post by BlackDiamond »

Whiskyman wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:29 am
BlackDiamond wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:43 am [

Perhaps instead of wearing silly armbands Kane, as team captain, should arrange that, instead of walking in an orderly procession from tunnel to pitch, the team should appear in pairs, holding hands, and skipping. A sort of group mincing if you prefer to call it that.

And they seem to be promoting fudge packing to such an extent that it may be considered appropriate to enter the field of play to the strains of the old Tom Robinson anthem to turd burgling.

I think 'Shower in the Darkness' would be a more appropriate TRB song - stand up and fight for your tights...

palerider

Post by palerider »

Firstly. I have no problem with uphill ski-ers. It's up to them how they live their lives.

But I would piss myself if Brucie was shown a yellow for wearing the OneLove armband as he entered the field of play and then get a second for taking the knee. England's captain sent off before a ball was kicked.

This poxy virtue signalling should have died a death a year ago. I wonder how much of it is at the instigation of the holy waistcoat. The cunt's just like Jehovah's witnesses who can't take no for an answer and still knock on your doors after all this time.

Sport is sport. Nothing more. Protest sure, but never make a major tournament a soapbox, however much I despise FIFA and it's corruption.