Well now David.

Chat about anything football related here!
terrya1965

Re: Its all our fault...

Post by terrya1965 »

Whiskyman wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:25 am
terrya1965 wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:10 am
I think him and Moyes have that in common. They are no good at managing World Class Footballers.

I know many will not like what I say,but Rice would be a lot better player elsewhere than here.Even at somewhere like Brighton,where they play some lovely football.
That expression "lovely football" always amuses me. What exactly does it mean ? Different things to different people I guess. Some of the greatest footballers in my lifetime have been defenders. Bobby Moore, Paolo Maldini, Franco Baresi to name 3. Their job was basically to stifle creativity, which they did excellently. Isn't that lovely football in one sense of the word ?

Bet it's not what you meant though is it. ;)
I have followed West Ham over 50 years(first game 1971) and by far our most enjoyable Football was played under Greenwood and Lyall.Redknapp and Bilic in his first season(more down to Payet imo) did play some good Football too.Apart from that.it's been pretty ordinary and dire too.

Under Lyall,Brooking and Devonshire on the day could be unplayable.My favorite period of watching my beloved Hammers.

Can I ask you a question,why do you support West Ham?Are you from the East End?My Dad lived off of Green St and that's the reason, I support them,but there are plenty of outsiders that loved the way we played the"Pass and Move" game.My Mum's side were from North London,but a lot of them my age or older support West Ham.
Arsenal and Spurs were bigger teams,but they chose us,because they liked the way we played Football.

Yes,most of all,I want us to win,no matter what.It's in the blood,but the is nothing better than watching it with a bit of style Whiskyman.

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

eskimo joe wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:35 am

That expression "lovely football" always amuses me. What exactly does it mean ? Different things to different people I guess. Some of the greatest footballers in my lifetime have been defenders. Bobby Moore, Paolo Maldini, Franco Baresi to name 3. Their job was basically to stifle creativity, which they did excellently. Isn't that lovely football in one sense of the word ?

It's easier to tell you what it doesn't mean, defend and punt for example. We have had one or two of those and it was far from lovely.

But even lovely football can turn sour. Moyes being a prime example. I didn't mind watching his football ( a step up from lardarses ) the first full season, but it ceased being lovely when it stopped working. Now it looks more like football without a clear direction, or more a failing one.

As for individuals, Moore yes, Brooking yes, Devonshire yes. The list can continue.
The point I was trying to make Joe was that good defending is just as much an art as good attacking play. But people tend to pay to watch the likes of Messi, Ronaldo & Co for the entertainment they provide. But they wouldn't rush to the ticket office to see Bobby Moore or Paolo Maldini.
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

terrya1965 wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:52 am

I have followed West Ham over 50 years(first game 1971) and by far our most enjoyable Football was played under Greenwood and Lyall.Redknapp and Bilic in his first season(more down to Payet imo) did play some good Football too.Apart from that.it's been pretty ordinary and dire too.

Under Lyall,Brooking and Devonshire on the day could be unplayable.My favorite period of watching my beloved Hammers.

Can I ask you a question,why do you support West Ham?Are you from the East End?My Dad lived off of Green St and that's the reason, I support them,but there are plenty of outsiders that loved the way we played the"Pass and Move" game.My Mum's side were from North London,but a lot of them my age or older support West Ham.
Arsenal and Spurs were bigger teams,but they chose us,because they liked the way we played Football.

Yes,most of all,I want us to win,no matter what.It's in the blood,but the is nothing better than watching it with a bit of style Whiskyman.
I'm originally from Forest Gate, lived there until I was 14 when the family moved to the sticks, so West Ham was my local club. If I'd been brought up in Islington I would have been a gooner or if I'd lived in Enfield probably Spurs. Back in the 70s if you wanted to watch a game you went to your local club. That's how it worked back then.

Dwayne Pipes

Post by Dwayne Pipes »

Still cracking on going over there and a few aways a hard habit to break for me more about a good day and night out with pals seeing a few old faces a good few beers and a fucking good laugh.
A break from the old woman is also a bonus of course ;)
Hate fucking Sunday games though that to me is for a full day in the piss not interrupted by trudging over the fucking football.
Part of our success lately I suppose :D playing Thursday nights.
Still local so travel not a problem as it might be for others on here.
Wouldn’t judge if you go or not ,tbh couldn’t give a fuck
As I say suits me for the time being.

eskimo joe

Post by eskimo joe »

Whiskyman wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 12:56 pm
eskimo joe wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:35 am

It's easier to tell you what it doesn't mean, defend and punt for example. We have had one or two of those and it was far from lovely.

But even lovely football can turn sour. Moyes being a prime example. I didn't mind watching his football ( a step up from lardarses ) the first full season, but it ceased being lovely when it stopped working. Now it looks more like football without a clear direction, or more a failing one.

As for individuals, Moore yes, Brooking yes, Devonshire yes. The list can continue.
The point I was trying to make Joe was that good defending is just as much an art as good attacking play. But people tend to pay to watch the likes of Messi, Ronaldo & Co for the entertainment they provide. But they wouldn't rush to the ticket office to see Bobby Moore or Paolo Maldini.
I agree, being a defender myself I very much appreciated Booby Moore's reading of the game and his defensive abilities
whufc_crest whufc_crest whufc_crest

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

Dwayne Pipes wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:33 pm Still cracking on going over there and a few aways a hard habit to break for me more about a good day and night out with pals seeing a few old faces a good few beers and a fucking good laugh.
A break from the old woman is also a bonus of course ;)
Hate fucking Sunday games though that to me is for a full day in the piss not interrupted by trudging over the fucking football.
Part of our success lately I suppose :D playing Thursday nights.
Still local so travel not a problem as it might be for others on here.
Wouldn’t judge if you go or not ,tbh couldn’t give a fuck
As I say suits me for the time being.
Sums it all up perfectly Dwayne. You enjoy going for the reasons stated. So why should you stop going ?

But somehow I don;t imagine you are one of those whingers who moan about having the piss taken out of you simply because they have to have something to belly ache about.

Of course I could be wrong and will expect to read a full blooded "woe is me" response in due course if that is the case. ;)

Castiron

Post by Castiron »

Every great team is built on a solid defence is it not?.

terrya1965

Post by terrya1965 »

Castiron wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:21 pm Every great team is built on a solid defence is it not?.
Apart from City ;)

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

terrya1965 wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:55 pm
Castiron wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:21 pm Every great team is built on a solid defence is it not?.
Apart from City ;)
Not a lot wrong with their defence, except it seems to be built on the overall principle that attack is the best form of.

Castiron

Post by Castiron »

terrya1965 wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:55 pm
Apart from City ;)
I think they do both pretty damn well really. There problem sometimes is, that they are so fucking in control most of the time, they just switch off and take their foot off the gas.
Look at how many times they've come back when you think they are dead.