Subtle. Not.

All the boring stuff!!
frogiron

Subtle. Not.

Post by frogiron »

Just a couple of ads. Nothing too invasive.

Except the one that is so big it covers all the page and you cannot remove it without clicking on it.

By reloading the page several times, I got it to disappear without having to click on the fucking thing.

But really.

I understand the need for advertising. I'm not even against it. But this is fucking awful and is not so much advertising as ransom - you can't get on the site without clicking me.

Nice.
GTFOOOCYTPPOC

BillyDWhizz

Re: Subtle. Not.

Post by BillyDWhizz »

Install adblock. I don't get that big assed thing of which you speak on my screen.
Who the fuck is General Failure and why is he reading my harddisk?

CambridgeIron71

Post by CambridgeIron71 »

Don't get it either, even without adblocker...
Pretty bubbles in the air.

palerider

Post by palerider »

Frogster. I'm surprised that someone as computer-savvy as yourself hasn't got Adblock. Even I managed to install it and I'm about as clever on a laptop as a hairdresser from Huddersfield on the Jeremy Kyle show wondering why her baby's black.

And it's a Godsend I can tell you. I love it when a message comes up asking you to disable adblock because the that particular site relies on advertising and they want to send you some adverts.

:lol:

Post by 1234 »

frogiron wrote:Image

Just a couple of ads. Nothing too invasive.

Except the one that is so big it covers all the page and you cannot remove it without clicking on it.

By reloading the page several times, I got it to disappear without having to click on the fucking thing.

But really.

I understand the need for advertising. I'm not even against it. But this is fucking awful and is not so much advertising as ransom - you can't get on the site without clicking me.

Nice.
A certain poster predicted this would happen.

OZHAMMER

Post by OZHAMMER »

I don't have adblocker, and I haven't encountered this yet.

redhammer
Site Admin

Post by redhammer »

OZHAMMER wrote:I don't have adblocker, and I haven't encountered this yet.
same! but nevertheless we have contacted the source as it should not happen!
1234 wrote:A certain poster predicted this would happen.
You did, but a certain poster also predicted Hammers Chat would not exist, however we outgrew the previous one and had to pay for a new one. You are welcome to pay all the costs and then we will remove all the ads from the site.

frogiron

Post by frogiron »

Saying "Well I don't get that one" is hardly a surprise. It would actually be surprising if you got the same ad as me, bearing in mind the many variables involved.

For info, I do have Ad Blocker. It does not remove all ads. Never will. Like most, it needs continually "educating" to tell it which sources to block. And even then, it is never going to be 100% effective.

To clarify:

I am not complaining about ads as a means of funding.

I don't have an issue with ads particularly.

I have an issue with an ad that blocks the whole fucking page, and which requires me to click it to remove it and thereby gain access. A worrying requirement, bearing in mind the growing "No means Yes" sector of shitehouse popups, and the fact that it is a common strategy used by popups which hide malware.
GTFOOOCYTPPOC

Gonzo

Post by Gonzo »

That should not be on there at all and I've never seen it before. If you see it again do the same and I'll send it on but we actually got rid of a load of stuff off here today so as we could have a banner at the top. If it was our chap then I'm pretty sure that he stuck it on by mistake and it came down straight away (which would explain why nobody else has has a pop-up).

I think you might have been a bit unlucky there Frog because we closed the site for about three hours this afternoon to test a couple of things and the revamped version came online at 5pm.

frogiron

Post by frogiron »

For info Mr. The Gonzo, that ad has not appeared yesterday or today.

Thank you for listening!

:)
GTFOOOCYTPPOC