Adverts covering screen

All the boring stuff!!
frogiron

Re: Adverts covering screen

Post by frogiron »

Gonz -

I'm sorry mate, but your site is becoming unusable.

I also get the fucking Tiger Woods Turkish Airlines Ad.

I don't have to tell you I'm sure that clicking the "close" button of any such ad is a dumb thing to do. So I have to close the fucking browser down and start again. Normally at least half a dozen times. Eventually, it doesn't pop up for some reason.

But then I get another one - a full page telling me (in French) flogging anti-virus software. And have to go through the same nonsense.

Honestly mate -it is fuck-awful. Worse than the old site I'm afraid. At least they were pop ups you could ignore, or could be dealt with by Adblocker and the like. These are designed to block the entire page, meaning you either have to click on them or close the browser. It's just fucking rude. Whoever is hosting your site, and the agency flogging your ad space, need a good fucking kick up the bollocks.

And before I get the usual queue of people telling me to download Ablocker:
Please don't.
I'm not a technical dunce.
I already have adblocking software running.
I have no such problem on any other site - this is clearly site specific.
GTFOOOCYTPPOC

Taansend

Post by Taansend »

Tiger keeps popping up every ten seconds. I've closed it twice since I started typing this. It covers most of the screen.

Every page I go to Tiger pops up. I don't even like golf.....

I can't use this site on my phone anymore.

It's getting more aggressive the more I complain :lol:

palerider

Post by palerider »

When I bought my laptop I paid a small fee and PC World set up all sorts of stuff while I waited including adblocker. That's because I am a technical retard.

It wasn't expensive and I don't know which one it is, but I don't get the problems discussed. But if I did I'd be pretty hacked-off and I doubt I'd use the site.

But I just clicked on the window thingy to check what was on there and it appears to be just called 'Adguard'. I'm obviously a tech genius now. I'll have to grow a wispy beard, eat pot noodles and develop spots.

frogiron

Post by frogiron »

palerider wrote:When I bought my laptop I paid a small fee and PC World set up all sorts of stuff while I waited including adblocker. That's because I am a technical retard.

It wasn't expensive and I don't know which one it is, but I don't get the problems discussed. But if I did I'd be pretty hacked-off and I doubt I'd use the site.

But I just clicked on the window thingy to check what was on there and it appears to be just called 'Adguard'. I'm obviously a tech genius now. I'll have to grow a wispy beard, eat pot noodles and develop spots.

Hello Mr. P

Thing is mate, no ad blocker is ever 100% effective.
But more relevantly, the site as you see it in the UK is different to how it appears overseas, because the host or their agency will sell space to other advertisers for foreign regions. And by definition, this is often away from the view of the site owner. So they flog it under different conditions to those agreed with the site owner because, generally, the site owner never gets to see the site as their foreign subscribers view it.
GTFOOOCYTPPOC

palerider

Post by palerider »

frogiron wrote:
palerider wrote:When I bought my laptop I paid a small fee and PC World set up all sorts of stuff while I waited including adblocker. That's because I am a technical retard.

Hello Mr. P

Thing is mate, no ad blocker is ever 100% effective.
But more relevantly, the site as you see it in the UK is different to how it appears overseas, because the host or their agency will sell space to other advertisers for foreign regions. And by definition, this is often away from the view of the site owner. So they flog it under different conditions to those agreed with the site owner because, generally, the site owner never gets to see the site as their foreign subscribers view it.
That must be unbelievably annoying then and something our chaps need to address pdq.

Taansend

Post by Taansend »

It's only this site and it comes and goes.

I now have a slideshow of make up items

Gonzo

Post by Gonzo »

frogiron wrote:Gonz -

I don't have to tell you I'm sure that clicking the "close" button of any such ad is a dumb thing to do. So I have to close the fucking browser down and start again. Normally at least half a dozen times. Eventually, it doesn't pop up for some reason.

But then I get another one - a full page telling me (in French) flogging anti-virus software. And have to go through the same nonsense.

Honestly mate -it is fuck-awful. Worse than the old site I'm afraid. At least they were pop ups you could ignore, or could be dealt with by Adblocker and the like. These are designed to block the entire page, meaning you either have to click on them or close the browser. It's just fucking rude. Whoever is hosting your site, and the agency flogging your ad space, need a good fucking kick up the bollocks.

Please don't.

FFS, sorry . . . . what can I say? If they can't sort it so as you and Tanz can view without issue I'll just cancel it.

Geo has written today and here is a copy of what I've just sent

complaint-1.jpg
complaint-1.jpg (193.29 KiB) Viewed 5652 times

palerider

Post by palerider »

I'd be a cunt if I mentioned the Chelsea game at the iconic London Stadium wouldn't I ?

frogiron

Post by frogiron »

Gonzo wrote:
frogiron wrote:Gonz -

Please don't.

FFS, sorry . . . . what can I say? If they can't sort it so as you and Tanz can view without issue I'll just cancel it.

Geo has written today and here is a copy of what I've just sent

complaint-1.jpg

Gonz - really there's no need to apologise. I know from the start this exercise has been about getting a forum that works and is a pleasant place to be.

I know it is not your fault, and not the result of any action on your part. I hope my post didn't come across like I felt it was.

They are clearly doing this behind your back. They know exactly the style and presence of ad they are selling, so they must just think you will not find out.

Anyway mate - keep up the good work. I know it's a complaint, but it's not aimed at you in any way.

I'm so sorry about the swearing too - if I'd had known, I'd have... no what am I saying, I'd still have said they need a kick up the bollocks :)
GTFOOOCYTPPOC

Gonzo

Post by Gonzo »

frogiron wrote:
Gonz - really there's no need to apologise. I know from the start this exercise has been about getting a forum that works and is a pleasant place to be.

I know it is not your fault, and not the result of any action on your part. I hope my post didn't come across like I felt it was.

They are clearly doing this behind your back. They know exactly the style and presence of ad they are selling, so they must just think you will not find out.

Anyway mate - keep up the good work. I know it's a complaint, but it's not aimed at you in any way.

I'm so sorry about the swearing too - if I'd had known, I'd have... no what am I saying, I'd still have said they need a kick up the bollocks :)

No, no mate. Swear all you want, I was just making the point to him.

Anyway, he has replied and I'll keep you in the loop mate. I've sent his Tanz's OP too so he has all the info he needs really.

complaint 2.jpg
complaint 2.jpg (129.24 KiB) Viewed 5646 times