Really Random science/health question...

News, Banter and anything else non football!!
MitchFY66

Really Random science/health question...

Post by MitchFY66 »

It's times like this when I wish I was still at school so I could just ask my science teacher...

When you put your hand on your chest to "feel you heart beat" that isn't actually your heart you are feeling, or is it?

Does anyone know exactly what it is you are feeling beat, is it arteries, or is it muscular movement - vibrations of the beats, so to speak?

If it is the actual beating of the chambers of your heart, can you tell if they are functioning properly by any patters in how these beat? Random question I know, but I was just curious.

I've looked everywhere online but still can't find an exact answer.Here's me hoping I can stumble across a Doctor on here...
He's not the messiah! He's a very naughty boy!

eastcoastclaret
Location: Chris Eubank has written a book about ethics. If it sells well, he'll write one about Kent too

Re: Really Random science/health question...

Post by eastcoastclaret »

What's in the box Mitch?

:D
gonna need a bigger boat...my thumbs have gone weird...weleese bwian...I didn't eat the salmon mousse...nice beaver...like a glove...I have nipples Greg...the details of my life...he's not the messiah....

MitchFY66

Post by MitchFY66 »

eastcoastclaret wrote:What's in the box Mitch?

:D
I'll reveal all if someone can genuinely answer this question for me shakeass :lol:

Taansend

Post by Taansend »

MitchFY66 wrote:It's times like this when I wish I was still at school so I could just ask my science teacher...

When you put your hand on your chest to "feel you heart beat" that isn't actually your heart you are feeling, or is it?

Does anyone know exactly what it is you are feeling beat, is it arteries, or is it muscular movement - vibrations of the beats, so to speak?

If it is the actual beating of the chambers of your heart, can you tell if they are functioning properly by any patters in how these beat? Random question I know, but I was just curious.

I've looked everywhere online but still can't find an exact answer.Here's me hoping I can stumble across a Doctor on here...
The Answer is Yes.

Jimmyticket

Post by Jimmyticket »

MitchFY66 wrote:It's times like this when I wish I was still at school so I could just ask my science teacher...

Hahaha..

Thanks for that...

Brookbonds73

Post by Brookbonds73 »

It's when you can't feel a beat, that's when the worry sets in.
Love a cup of Rosey I do.

onethirtyeight

Post by onethirtyeight »

Brookbonds73 wrote:It's when you can't feel a beat, that's when the worry sets in.
Me right now

CambridgeIron71

Post by CambridgeIron71 »

Well the true origin of "be still my beating heart" is shrouded in mystery and conflict.

Some claim it is an exclamation that something is too exciting or overwhelming for one to bear; literally, that it is causing one's heart to beat too fast. Others proclaim it was originally used with the swooning earnestness of women's poetry of the Romantic period.

'Beating heart' has long been used to denote breathless excitement. John Dryden used it with that meaning as early as 1697, in The works of Virgil:
"When from the Goal they start, The Youthful Charioteers with beating Heart, Rush to the Race."

'My beating heart' was a stock expression for 18th century novelists and poets. It is first recorded in Nicholas Rowe's Tamerlane, a tragedy, 1702:
"My beating Heart Bounds with exulting motion."

The earliest citation of the full 'be still, my beating heart' comes from William Mountfort's Zelmane, 1705:
"Ha! hold my Brain; be still my beating Heart."

Sting wrote a song titled 'be still my beating heart.'

Someone else says the original quote is from Homer's Odyssey. Odysseus.

My favourite I found was from an American news editor who proudly declared - "This feminine phrase is correctly used humorously to express excitement about something surprising, like a tray of desserts or a an unexpected shoe store." :D

Do we still have a heartbeat of the club?

Just a heartbeat away.

In contemporary English, the expression is usually used sarcastically to imply that a situation is not nearly as exciting as has been suggested. So I'll put my Bunsen burner back in the loft.

So that's what's probably causing it Mitch. But I still can't help you with the answer.
Pretty bubbles in the air.

MitchFY66

Post by MitchFY66 »

I found part of the answer!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apex_beat" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MitchFY66

Post by MitchFY66 »

Wait... Why am I asking on here when someone I've known for years is currently studying Biodmedical science.

For those of you who don't know me, the above statement is the story of my life.