Military coups... do we live in an Orwellian society?

News, Banter and anything else non football!!
MitchFY66

Military coups... do we live in an Orwellian society?

Post by MitchFY66 »

1) Harold Wilson claimed that MI5 were plotting against him, at the time people thought he was suffering from some kind of paranoia. Years after his resignation, it is now common knowledge that his claims were true. MI5 kept a very close eye on him after the CIA started to believe Wilson was a KGB spy. Several witnesses to top-secret meetings also spoke of planned military coups being discussed.

2) A serving General in our Armed Forces spoke to the press last year and said that they would consider a coup against Corbyn if he scrapped Trident, pulled out of NATO or announced cuts to the Armed Forces. He also said that he wasn't the only General who felt this way.

The Wilson piece is history, I purely added it as an example. But the Corbyn example is extremely worrying. I'd imagine it wouldn't be a coup in the traditional sense of the army taking control, rather they army leaders would publicly attack Corbyn. Either way, this is extremely worrying. Whether you agree with Corbyn's policies on the military etc. surely you have to agree that the armed forces simply can't interfere with democracy and the elected PM?

Things like this really get me thinking... Are we as free as we think? The media are constantly pushing their own agenda, whoever Murdoch has supported has won the next general election. Coincidence? I don't think so! The constant bashing of Corbyn is damaging to our democracy, whether you like Corbyn or not.
He's not the messiah! He's a very naughty boy!

palerider

Re: Military coups... do we live in an Orwellian society?

Post by palerider »

I really think that should it ever look like Corbyn might, just might have a chance if becoming prime minister, he'd have an 'accident'. And people more in the know than me who I talk to think the same.

So yes is the answer.

doughboy

Post by doughboy »

palerider wrote:I really think that should it ever look like Corbyn might, just might have a chance if becoming prime minister, he'd have an 'accident'. And people more in the know than me who I talk to think the same.

So yes is the answer.
Like robin cook...?
God save the Queen...
Coz tourists are MONEY...!!!

palerider

Post by palerider »

doughboy wrote:
palerider wrote:I really think that should it ever look like Corbyn might, just might have a chance if becoming prime minister, he'd have an 'accident'. And people more in the know than me who I talk to think the same.

So yes is the answer.
Like robin cook...?
Cook.

David Kelly.

Dodi and Di.

Oops. They slipped on the soap your honour.

Glidril

Post by Glidril »

So if you are in the armed forces youre not allowed to have a say in your countries policies

but if you are a union leader your allowed to never shut up about them - often using " action" to further your own political agenda

hmmmm

Neville Bartos

Post by Neville Bartos »

Glidril wrote:So if you are in the armed forces youre not allowed to have a say in your countries policies

but if you are a union leader your allowed to never shut up about them - often using " action" to further your own political agenda

hmmmm
Everyone gets a say in policy. Its called voting.
Maybe if trade unions had paramilitary wings you might have a point. The miners strikes might have been a wee bit fruitier if they'd had 50 challenger 2's, 30 Typhoons and half a dozen nuclear attack subs at their disposal.
Communism deprives no man of the power to appropriate the products of society; all that it does is to deprive him of the power to subjugate the labour of others by means of such appropriations.