Aberfan

News, Banter and anything else non football!!
palerider

Aberfan

Post by palerider »

I'm showing my age here. But I remember the day well. 50 years ago today. 144 people including 116 children from Pantglas school buried in a sea of coal slag.

It's not often I get serious on here, but reading an article about it yesterday had me near to tears. Since 1939 when a similar accident happened, the Coal Board knew the risks of water disturbing the slag heaps. But they did nothing because it was convenient and too expensive. After the disaster, a charity appeal collected a large sum for the relatives and the future of the village. The Coal Board demanded,and took, 15% of it to remove the tips. It wasn't until Tony Blair's government that it was repaid with interest and an apology. One of the few humanitarian acts Blair oversaw.

The Chairman of the Coal Board, Lord Robens, was due to receive an award for industry that day in Guildford. When he arrived he was told about the tragedy but went ahead with the ceremony saying that he'd sent his best men along and there was nothing he could do in person. What an utter, heartless cunt.

Had the slide happened an hour earlier, the school would have been empty. The following week was half-term. But the parents of 116 children have had to live with it for that long. They say time's a great healer but to lose your child ? I don't think I'd have had the strength.

I just pray that those still with us have in some way found some peace.