Cost of living in UK?

News, Banter and anything else non football!!
Noni

Cost of living in UK?

Post by Noni »

Curious to know what the cost of living is like in UK?.

Unfortunately, I had to sack my prostitute friend Mercedes, as she demanded too much money from me.

Times are hard throughout the world.

Can you afford to live?

palerider

Re: Cost of living in UK?

Post by palerider »

Truthfully, yes. But it's getting harder. Although I don't want to get all political about it.

It must be a fucking nightmare for some though.
Last edited by palerider on Sat May 28, 2022 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

Noni wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 2:51 pm Curious to know what the cost of living is like in UK?.

Unfortunately, I had to sack my prostitute friend Mercedes, as she demanded too much money from me.

Times are hard throughout the world.

Can you afford to live?
Biggest price hike has been energy and there are further increases planned for October. The real impact of those will be felt in the winter when heating is needed. Air conditioning running costs are less of an issue in the UK :lol:

Some foodstuffs are in short supply, in large part due to Brexit issues and so the old supply and demand rule comes into force. And of course the falling value of the pound means that imported goods automatically cost more in sterling terms.

To bring football into it it will be interesting to see if season ticket take ups are affected. If we are to believe some politicians (Must say I tend not to believe any of them) "millions" are struggling with cost of living rises. If true I guess the season ticket would be low down on the priorities of most families.

And so sorry to hear you had to dispense with the services of Mercedes. A sign of the times I fear.
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

Rick_Deckard

Post by Rick_Deckard »

This suits big businesses and manufacturers though....they use times like these to keep prices as high as the market will bare...
I bet you nothing except a handful of products items will go back to pre Ukraine war prices...
Have you ever know n for example British Gas to to lower prices to the same extent wholesale prices go down ?...you havent because they never have...keep the price of a product higher for long enough and the public get used to and accept it..bazinga, job done..and they like others will have every excuse in the book to justify it and get away with it.

The so called windfall tax based on exceptional profit items listed in accounts (theyll just do some creative accounting to get them back into other items and spread them around )is a nonsense because if it looks like they will take a hit they will recoup that from the public one way or another, why doesnt the government make them reduce prices at the point of sale ?...easier to administer and fair because its based on usage.

When has petrol ever reflected the true traded oil price , ups and down, only ups, people are already used to the high prices, it will go down eventually but only a small amount...suits the markets/businesses to keep it well north of £ 1.50

This is and always has been how the markets work to a lesser or greater degree

Noni

Post by Noni »

On average our food prices in Canada have gone up by 20% ......😢

JayK

Post by JayK »

Noni wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 5:32 am On average our food prices in Canada have gone up by 20% ......😢
I would imagine that’s a tough one to swallow
COYI!!!

BlackDiamond

Post by BlackDiamond »

JayK wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:36 am
Noni wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 5:32 am On average our food prices in Canada have gone up by 20% ......😢
I would imagine that’s a tough one to swallow
Becomes too much to chew...

palerider

Post by palerider »

You can often find good stuff on the reduced aisle at my local Tesco but I usually have to barge old ladies out of the way to get the best deals.

JayK

Post by JayK »

palerider wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 11:00 am You can often find good stuff on the reduced aisle at my local Tesco but I usually have to barge old ladies out of the way to get the best deals.
As they say in China, it’s a eat dog world. I think that’s the saying anyway
COYI!!!

palerider

Post by palerider »

JayK wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 11:38 am
palerider wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 11:00 am You can often find good stuff on the reduced aisle at my local Tesco but I usually have to barge old ladies out of the way to get the best deals.
As they say in China, it’s a eat dog world. I think that’s the saying anyway
The actual Chinese proverb is

'Give a man a dog and you'll feed him for a week.
But teach him how to catch them and he can open a restaurant'.