The Ashes

News, Banter and anything else non football!!

Re: The Ashes

Post by 9898 »

jameskel wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 4:53 pm We just can't compete with pace. County cricket is full of Sunday cricketers made to look wordbeaters in our conditions.
What this excellent young man is trying to say is one day/20/20 is made for bitsa players but test cricket relies onj quality over a period of time and a different midset. We only have Root for tests.
P.S Stokes is over rated and is gone as he can't handle it and doesn't live the right life.
"Mum. I've wet the bed again."

BillyDWhizz

Post by BillyDWhizz »

17-2 at stumps today chasing 473. FOUR-HUNDRED-AND-SEVENTY-THREE!? England won't get that many in the series let alone in an innings!

Can't wait for the inevitable collapse tomorrow and being forced to follow on having to get 300 to avoid an innings defeat. Pitiful display... again.
Who the fuck is General Failure and why is he reading my harddisk?

OZHAMMER

Post by OZHAMMER »

BillyDWhizz wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 11:09 am 17-2 at stumps today chasing 473. FOUR-HUNDRED-AND-SEVENTY-THREE!? England won't get that many in the series let alone in an innings!

Can't wait for the inevitable collapse tomorrow and being forced to follow on having to get 300 to avoid an innings defeat. Pitiful display... again.
I’m not sure we enforce the follow on much anymore. Don’t understand why.

palerider

Post by palerider »

It's fucking embarrassing.

Without Cummins and Hazlewood too.

Perhaps Oz will pick Kylie and Dame Edna in the next test to give us a chance.

BillyDWhizz

Post by BillyDWhizz »

OZHAMMER wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 11:34 am
BillyDWhizz wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 11:09 am 17-2 at stumps today chasing 473. FOUR-HUNDRED-AND-SEVENTY-THREE!? England won't get that many in the series let alone in an innings!

Ahhh yes. If you believe the rumours then it's all down to the old VVS Laxman and Rahul Dravid effect. I believe it was Steve Waugh who after Aus had scored 445 at Eden Gardens in Kolkata, skittled out India for 171 and enforced the follow on, only for VVS and Rahul to put on something daft like 460 with India ending up 657/7, who then proceeded to duly bowl out Oz for 212 and make Waugh's decision look a bit silly.

In truth though, Waugh enforced the follow on every other chance he got for the rest of his career and it was Ponting and later Clarke who were reticent to enforce follow on's citing bowler fatigue etc. And that's probably why Aus don't enforce the follow on's much any more.

In this case, tomorrow though, should England (probably) collapse and do have to follow on, if I were Oz captain, I'd enforce it and politely enquire to Joe Root if he'd like my bowlers to bowl underarm... you know, just to make things a bit more competitive... :twisted:
Who the fuck is General Failure and why is he reading my harddisk?

jameskel

Post by jameskel »

I have a feeling they will enforce the follow-on this time and win the game tomorrow. We are fucking pitiful.

Burns, is possibly the worst player I have ever seen play for England

we would be better off letting Morgan takes his 20/20 side out here and have a slog for 20 overs an innings
Covid in the Boardroom

Newmarket

Post by Newmarket »

They’ll enforce THIS inevitable follow on .

To increase the humiliation.

I would .
Bring back Jonathon !

OZHAMMER

Post by OZHAMMER »

BillyDWhizz wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 12:41 pm
OZHAMMER wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 11:34 am

Ahhh yes. If you believe the rumours then it's all down to the old VVS Laxman and Rahul Dravid effect. I believe it was Steve Waugh who after Aus had scored 445 at Eden Gardens in Kolkata, skittled out India for 171 and enforced the follow on, only for VVS and Rahul to put on something daft like 460 with India ending up 657/7, who then proceeded to duly bowl out Oz for 212 and make Waugh's decision look a bit silly.

In truth though, Waugh enforced the follow on every other chance he got for the rest of his career and it was Ponting and later Clarke who were reticent to enforce follow on's citing bowler fatigue etc. And that's probably why Aus don't enforce the follow on's much any more.

In this case, tomorrow though, should England (probably) collapse and do have to follow on, if I were Oz captain, I'd enforce it and politely enquire to Joe Root if he'd like my bowlers to bowl underarm... you know, just to make things a bit more competitive... :twisted:
I think you’re right with your recollection of the events surrounding the follow-on. And definitely correct with Ponting’s hesitation (re bowler fatigue) as I’ve heard him mention it numerous times.

But personally, unless it’s 44 degrees and the players can’t stand up, put them to the sword.

terrya1965

Post by terrya1965 »

I WILL MAKE A PREDICTION.

Will wake up at 8 tomorrow and we'll be all out under a 130 runs and we'll be following on, with a couple of wickets already down.

palerider

Post by palerider »

palerider wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 12:26 pm It's fucking embarrassing.

Without Cummins and Hazlewood too.

Perhaps Oz will pick Kylie and Dame Edna in the next test to give us a chance.
Australia 1500-9 dec

England 209-8

Kylie 3-17, Dame Edna 3-24.

Ps. Has any selector ever considered Buttler isn't a test player ?

There are some saying he only has hands to stop his wrists fraying at the edges.