Will Emma Raducanu be the First British Women's Grand Slam Winner in 44 years?

News, Banter and anything else non football!!
JayK

Re: Will Emma Raducanu be the First British Women's Grand Slam Winner in 44 years?

Post by JayK »

She done alright huh. 10 games from qualifiers to the final and winning it. Prize money of $2.5mil. If I won that at 18 I wouldn’t have made it to 19. Fair play to her
COYI!!!

terrya1965

Re: Will Emma Raducanu be the First British Women's Grand Slam Winner in 44 years?

Post by terrya1965 »

Well done Emma.

Fairytale of New York will be the headlines tomorrow.

Competed in 2 Grand Slams and WON one of them without dropping a set.

EXTRAORDINARY

Noni

Re: Will Emma Raducanu be the First Women's Grand Slam Winner in 44 years?

Post by Noni »

Ironworksfc wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:05 pm How good is her orgasm sound when she hits the ball
From the highlights on YouTube I was getting aroused and specially now she's won a title. ;)

JayK

Post by JayK »

Apparently $100mil in sponsorship money etc this year too. Wow
COYI!!!

Noni

Post by Noni »

History maker, record breaker
With this victory, Raducanu becomes:

The first British female winner at Flushing Meadows since Virginia Wade in 1968
The first qualifier in the Open era to win a Slam
The youngest women's Slam champion since Maria Sharapova at Wimbledon in 2004
The youngest Briton to win a Grand Slam title
The first woman to win the US Open without dropping a set since Serena Williams in 2014
She will also take home £1.8m in prize money, rise to 23 in the world rankings and will become the British number one on Monday.

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

Noni wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:19 am History maker, record breaker

The first woman to win the US Open without dropping a set since Serena Williams in 2014
She will also take home £1.8m in prize money, rise to 23 in the world rankings and will become the British number one on Monday.
Can't stand the sport tbh, but good luck to her. But how the fuck has someone whose old man is Romanian, and with a Chinese mother and a birth certificate saying she was born in Canada, by any stretch of the imagination be described as British ?

Isn't your nationality basically determined by where you were born ? Unless you were born abroad whilst your parents were serving, for example, in the military or the civil service.
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

Noni

Post by Noni »

Whiskyman wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:17 am
Noni wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:19 am History maker, record breaker

Can't stand the sport tbh, but good luck to her. But how the fuck has someone whose old man is Romanian, and with a Chinese mother and a birth certificate saying she was born in Canada, by any stretch of the imagination be described as British ?

Isn't your nationality basically determined by where you were born ? Unless you were born abroad whilst your parents were serving, for example, in the military or the civil service.
Personally I don't care, if she carries the flag, it's good for me. Let's face it, most players who play for West Ham are foreigners apart from Antonio, Rice and Noble plus a few more. :D

I'm British with Claret and Blue blood from East End. Been in Canada almost 30 years now, not quite though, but I will always say I'm British ;) I need to take my Canadian citizenship to qualify for my Canadian pension :shock:

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

Noni wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:51 am
Whiskyman wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:17 am

Personally I don't care, if she carries the flag, it's good for me. Let's face it, most players who play for West Ham are foreigners apart from Antonio, Rice and Noble plus a few more. :D

I'm British with Claret and Blue blood from East End. Been in Canada almost 30 years now, not quite though, but I will always say I'm British ;) I need to take my Canadian citizenship to qualify for my Canadian pension :shock:
I guess you were born in the UK which used to be what defined your nationality. I've got nothing whatsoever against this Emma bird, or foreigners in general whether or not they play for West Ham. ;) I just don't get how someone born in Canada and whose parents don't appear to have any connection with the UK suddenly gets to be adopted as British by the press. Presumably it's to whip up some sort of interest in a competition which I imagine few of us would otherwise have known was taking place.

There's almost a transfer system in football for international status now. You might remember Adnam Januzaj, who was born in Kosovo, who the F A wanted to be "English" because he looked as if he might be a bit decent. But he decided he didn't want to be English and decided to be Belgian instead,

And he turned out not to be as good as everyone thought he would anyway. ;)
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

JayK

Post by JayK »

She definitely has an English accent.

The girl she was up against, Fernandez looked nothing like a Canadian with a not very Canadian name.
COYI!!!

palerider

Post by palerider »

Isn't it tradition that she dances with the Men's winner at the Championship Ball ? Or is that only Wimbledon ?

It would be better if tradition meant the Men's champ gave her a good back-scuttling but I think the thought of Serena Williams put paid to that idea.