The Official F1 thread 2021

News, Banter and anything else non football!!
JayK

Re: The Official F1 thread 2021

Post by JayK »

Noni wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:04 pm
JayK wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:26 am

Sprint qualifying? That’s new ain’t it? They gotta run to their cars?
I would really enjoy that if that happened, :) I'm afraid it won't happen. There's a total of 3 sprint qualifying this season. Britain, Italy and the USA.
This is purely an experiment to see if this would spark fans interest in the sport. If successful they may introduce this next season as well.

If they do, I would only prefer several sprint qualifiers in a season and still keep the old system as the main qualifier.
But what is it Noni?
COYI!!!

Noni

Post by Noni »

JayK wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:03 pm
Noni wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:04 pm

I would really enjoy that if that happened, :) I'm afraid it won't happen. There's a total of 3 sprint qualifying this season. Britain, Italy and the USA.
This is purely an experiment to see if this would spark fans interest in the sport. If successful they may introduce this next season as well.

If they do, I would only prefer several sprint qualifiers in a season and still keep the old system as the main qualifier.
But what is it Noni?
From what I understand. Friday will have 1 practice session in the morning and the first sprint qualifying in the afternoon.

This will be followed by Saturday's 2nd and final qualifying. I believe each of the 3 qualifying sessions results in points for the top 3 drivers of that weekend.

Points are awarded in the final qualifying ready for the race.

Don't quote me here please, that's just what I perceived from pundits.

Noni

Post by Noni »

JayK

Post by JayK »

Noni wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:27 am
JayK wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:03 pm

But what is it Noni?
From what I understand. Friday will have 1 practice session in the morning and the first sprint qualifying in the afternoon.

This will be followed by Saturday's 2nd and final qualifying. I believe each of the 3 qualifying sessions results in points for the top 3 drivers of that weekend.

Points are awarded in the final qualifying ready for the race.

Don't quote me here please, that's just what I perceived from pundits.
Thanks mate. Still not understanding the sprint session in the afternoon but will watch that vid later when I got time 👍🏽
COYI!!!

Gandalf

Post by Gandalf »

To put it simply there will be qualifying on Friday, sprint race on Saturday and the Grand Prix on Sunday.
The qualifying determines the grip positions for the sprint race. And the finishing positions of the sprint race will determine the grid positions for the Grand Prix.

JayK

Post by JayK »

Noni wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:45 am
Just watched this. So effectively Saturday is just a 17 lap mini race. It didn’t say (or I may have missed it) whether they all start on the grid together in their Friday qualifying positions?
COYI!!!

JayK

Post by JayK »

Gandalf wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:24 am To put it simply there will be qualifying on Friday, sprint race on Saturday and the Grand Prix on Sunday.
The qualifying determines the grip positions for the sprint race. And the finishing positions of the sprint race will determine the grid positions for the Grand Prix.
Ah, just seen this. I guess you just answered my question. Thanks mate
COYI!!!

Noni

Post by Noni »

Well there you go!. Sprint qualifying to Sunday's race

Max on Pole.......3 points
Hamilton 2nd.....2 points
Bottas 3rd ..........1 point

4.Charles Leclerc (Ferrari)
5.Lando Norris (McLaren)
6.Daniel Ricciardo (McLaren)
7.Fernando Alonso (Alpine)
8.Sebastian Vettel (Aston Martin)
9.George Russell (Williams)
10.Esteban Ocon (Alpine)

Russell much improved in race form. Lando maintaining his own.
Mercedes good in long pace...... Daniel much better and Vettel :shock: His time could still be alive. ;)

We need a Hamilton win here!!!.

Newmarket

Post by Newmarket »

Noni wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 5:23 pm Well there you go!. Sprint qualifying to Sunday's race

Max on Pole.......3 points
Hamilton 2nd.....2 points
Bottas 3rd ..........1 point

4.Charles Leclerc (Ferrari)
5.Lando Norris (McLaren)
6.Daniel Ricciardo (McLaren)
7.Fernando Alonso (Alpine)
8.Sebastian Vettel (Aston Martin)
9.George Russell (Williams)
10.Esteban Ocon (Alpine)

Russell much improved in race form. Lando maintaining his own.
Mercedes good in long pace...... Daniel much better and Vettel :shock: His time could still be alive. ;)

We need a Hamilton win here!!!.
No YOU do :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Bring back Jonathon !

Noni

Post by Noni »

Well what a race, just what we needed.... :)

I thought Max drove very harshly indeed as resulted in his crash with Hamilton. He should of at least allowed Hamilton the width as telemetry showed Max's steering wheel veering sharply towards Hamilton causing a collision. My opinion appears that this was just a racing incident but the stewards felt differently. As a result Hamilton was awarded a 10 second penalty. With Max out of the race, Lewis can now climb back those points back. Max's crashed ended quite badly and as a precautionary action was taken to Hospital for brain scans.

Lewis Hamilton climbed through the field and with the help of Bottas was able to catch LeClerc and pass him for the win with 3 laps remaining. This will be Hamilton's 8th British Grand Prix win. 🏆

With Max scoring no points, Hamilton is 8 points away from Max in the WC.

LeClerc came 2nd and Bottas 3rd.

Again the McLaren boys did well with Norris 4th and great drive and improved Ricciardo to come 5th. Strong points and looking good.

Carlos Sainz came 6th.

Sadly once again after a penalty, George Russell was yet gain deprived of points for the Williams team that came 12th and 14th.