Andy Carroll

Chat about anything football related here!
Neville Bartos

Re: Andy Carroll

Post by Neville Bartos »

Gonzo wrote:
Neville Bartos wrote:Carroll is a horrific drain on resources. A reported 90k a week for a player who has 80 league appearances and just over 20 goals in 4 seasons is nothing short of unacceptable.
If anyone is willing to cough up 8 figures for him we should bite their arm off.

Fucking hell, that's 5 goals per season. :roll:

I would still like to see what he can do with a pre-season behind him, I'd hate for him to leave then spend an injury free season elsewhere.
I rate AC as a player, but his injury record is awful. The negatives of having him on the books seem to far outweigh the positives in that regard. If we could punt him on and get someone like Berahino, Benteke or Bony in on similar wages we'd be getting a much better return on and off the pitch, Imo.
Communism deprives no man of the power to appropriate the products of society; all that it does is to deprive him of the power to subjugate the labour of others by means of such appropriations.

eskimo joe

Post by eskimo joe »

belfasthammer wrote:We have been developing width in defence midfield and up front doesn't make sense to sell andy
That was my thought also. All too easy to look at the dosh and his record and say what the heck.

We now have the means to deliver balls from the wings instead of his behind, why partially nullify the point in having them by selling the most able player to make use of them. It would be like selling Goliath and replacing him with Tattoo.
whufc_crest whufc_crest whufc_crest

mkhammer

Post by mkhammer »

Keep him all day long.......
For the same reason he should be in the England squad,Defenders hate him ,
he scares the living shit out of them at times.
Trouble is i agree the times are not quite enough, cos of the injuries.
We have the best aerial threat in the league with him in the squad.

Can see him and Callieri being a right handful this year,assuming Slaven intends on
trying them together.
It's getting pretty hard to pick the Irons starting 11 now TBH.
Especially when Lanzini and Cresswell,both up and running,
Hope Bilic can keep everyone happy,gonna quite a headache for him this year I feel..

IRON-MAN ⚒

Post by IRON-MAN ⚒ »

defo keep him' if he can stay injury free he will score a lot of important goals this season looked hungry for it in prea season. COYI'SSSSSSSSSSS whufc_crest
BA14 TO E13 SINCE 85. whufc_crest

ToneLoc

Post by ToneLoc »

We seem to be caught in an endless loop with AC.
When he's fit it's "keep him keep him" and when he gets injured it's "sell him sell him".

When fit he is so damn effective so it's hard to talk about selling him when he's banging in goals and terrorising defenders. He also gives us good defensive presence when we're up against it.

But his brittle body IS an obvious problem and there has to be an equilibrium in productivity vs bench time.

I'm in the "keep him" camp because he gives us so much when fully firing but I would say if it's one more long term injury then it may be time to ask him to move on. Of course that's the conundrum because how do you get your money back if he's injured?

It's a damn tricky one !
Fancy calling your only son "Barnestoneworth"
He's got another name....
Yeah....."United"

eskimo joe

Post by eskimo joe »

ToneLoc wrote:We seem to be caught in an endless loop with AC.
When he's fit it's "keep him keep him" and when he gets injured it's "sell him sell him".

When fit he is so damn effective so it's hard to talk about selling him when he's banging in goals and terrorising defenders. He also gives us good defensive presence when we're up against it.

But his brittle body IS an obvious problem and there has to be an equilibrium in productivity vs bench time.

I'm in the "keep him" camp because he gives us so much when fully firing but I would say if it's one more long term injury then it may be time to ask him to move on. Of course that's the conundrum because how do you get your money back if he's injured?

It's a damn tricky one !

Well, for arguments sake, if we want to sell him the best time would be now. Bit we wouldn't get anywhere near what we paid for him back. It would just be a case of cutting your losses.

I think we have reached the point where we should forget the outlay for him and just concentrate on getting the best use of him. If we get three quarters of a season out of him it will be a bonus.
whufc_crest whufc_crest whufc_crest

LittleHammerton

Post by LittleHammerton »

For me we need to keep, just starting to look fit and strong for the first time in years, hopefully Slav knows how to train him to ensure keeping him that way.

I know it's a big 'if' but if he can stay fit I believe he is one of the most dangerous strikers around, at times almost unplayable.

Presumably if we sold Benteke would come in, well I think Andy is the more likely scorer, as another poster said he terrorises defences....just look at the game against Arsenal, and other goals such as against Chelsea last season.

marksb

Post by marksb »

I am not sure I would start AC if all strikers are fit.

Last season when Sakho was playing and started, he usually did a fantastic job, I appreciate it is about scoring and he was lacking on that score, but what I noticed and think others also noticed is that he would run the defenders all over the place and after 70 mins, they were visibly knackered (in the majority of games he started).

When the manager then substituted him with AC, you can imagine what was going through their minds. AC gave us a different option and in a great deal of cases he made a huge impact on the game and often scored or knocked the ball down for someone else to score.

We need players like Sakho (yes I would give him a 2nd chance, but he must understand the error of his ways and his advisers need to chat to him) to run the defence ragged and give them a hard time for 70 mins, if we aren't winning already, what better impact player than AC, he does give us a different dimension and more often than not will score or create opportunity.

Plus we are in Europe, so we need a big squad, so I would keep AC and start recouping the money the club have spent!

JayK

Post by JayK »

I read somewhere £15mil was the quoted offer for Carroll.
The last few years I've been screaming for us to sell him and bring in a striker who can at least play a few games before getting injured.
Right now I think I'd like us to hold out. If Bilic and the medical team have finally got things right, he really could stay fit, score more goals (maybe 15-20) and then we could look at asking another £10mil or £15mil on top of the original £15mil
COYI!!!

CheikouTime

Post by CheikouTime »

After investing so much time and resources into the big man and finally having him fully fit, would be ridiculous to sell him!

Taking into account he is the most likely out of our forward line to get to the 20 goal target and it really leaves us short upfront - just can't see it happening