Expectations?

Chat about anything football related here!
Paulwhu38

Expectations?

Post by Paulwhu38 »

I'm just curious what other West Ham fan's expectations are for the coming season?

Personally I've seen so many people on Twitter slating the Sullivan's and DG for not going out and spending 50 odd million on a striker and suggesting that if we did we'd be challenging for the top four 4/league title.
I do agree that we need that 20 goal a season striker but I think we need to try and become stable at our new home and try to match our excellent season last year at least before we start getting too carried away.

For me, I think top four would be great, and is achievable without too many injuries(not a great start with Cresswell though) but I think a lot of people are thinking that because of what Leicester managed to achieve last season, it's doable again this, but I think the likes of Liverpool, United & Chelsea will all be added back into the top 4 mix along with City, Arsenal and Tottenham so including us you're looking at 7 clubs going for 4 places so it will be very difficult. 8 if you include Leicester but I personally think they'll struggle this year with the champions tag hanging over them and champions league football(until Christmas at least)

But for me I think it I would be happy with: Europa League qualification via league position so 6th lowest
A decent run in the FA cup maybe at least the quarter-final.
AT LEAST the second knock-out stage of Europa league
Not too bothered by League Cup but if we can reach another semi final/final I wouldn't say no!

Think I'm asking for too much or not enough?

Gonzo

Re: Expectations?

Post by Gonzo »

Paulwhu38 wrote:I'm just curious what other West Ham fan's expectations are for the coming season?

Personally I've seen so many people on Twitter slating the Sullivan's and DG for not going out and spending 50 odd million on a striker and suggesting that if we did we'd be challenging for the top four 4/league title.
I do agree that we need that 20 goal a season striker but I think we need to try and become stable at our new home and try to match our excellent season last year at least before we start getting too carried away.

For me, I think top four would be great, and is achievable without too many injuries(not a great start with Cresswell though) but I think a lot of people are thinking that because of what Leicester managed to achieve last season, it's doable again this, but I think the likes of Liverpool, United & Chelsea will all be added back into the top 4 mix along with City, Arsenal and Tottenham so including us you're looking at 7 clubs going for 4 places so it will be very difficult. 8 if you include Leicester but I personally think they'll struggle this year with the champions tag hanging over them and champions league football(until Christmas at least)

But for me I think it I would be happy with: Europa League qualification via league position so 6th lowest
Not too bothered by League Cup but if we can reach another semi final/final I wouldn't say no!

Hello Paul, welcome to the site old chap.

My expectations are the same as every season . . . . . . I just want to win the FA Cup.

Of course that is a hope rather than an expectation but I do think that it is realistic one. In terms of league position I would think that 8th would be about right but obviously that would change if we did make a world class signing. It's a tough one though because others are spending ad if Palace get Benteke I'd take them to finish above us.

dorsetdano

Post by dorsetdano »

Gonzo wrote:
Paulwhu38 wrote:I'm just curious what other West Ham fan's expectations are for the coming season?

My expectations are the same as every season . . . . . . I just want to win the FA Cup.

Of course that is a hope rather than an expectation but I do think that it is realistic one. In terms of league position I would think that 8th would be about right but obviously that would change if we did make a world class signing. It's a tough one though because others are spending ad if Palace get Benteke I'd take them to finish above us.
I'd be happy with winning the Milk Littlewoods What's it called this year cup; especially seeing as we've never won it! Also no one has mentioned Everton, who should also be in the mix, seeing as they have bundles of money and are not involved in Europe.

Seriously I just want to see us playing decent football and taking the game to the big boys in the way that we did last year; instead of our pathetic efforts against the top four over the previous three years. Final position isn't paramount with me, obviously assuming we're not near the bottom. I just see the League being ultra competitive this year and the days of teams getting 90+ points and running away with the League are gone. If we get near last years total with a final thrown in and a good run in Europe I'll be happy.

eskimo joe

Post by eskimo joe »

10 th and a cup run.

Beating the big boys as last, but not holding my breath.
whufc_crest whufc_crest whufc_crest

Sofa

Post by Sofa »

All I want from this season is the same brand of football we saw last season. Mixing it with the so called big teams and competing with the big spenders. I can't wait for a chance to go to a full Olympic stadium on a midweek europa game. I can't even be bothered reading all the negative stuff. It's all positive for me. This is the start of a new era in our clubs history. Let's just enjoy the ride eh.

BillyDWhizz

Post by BillyDWhizz »

I'll be honest, I was expecting us to kick on a bit from last season even if it was just by a couple of points. But now after Cressies injury and the apparent blindspot the club has when it comes to a right back I'm not nearly as confident as I was even a week ago. We weren't particularly solid last year in the defence department and nothing seems to have been done to address that issue. I'm sure we'll be ok but I'm worried that instead of a good season we'll just end up having an average one.

Hoping for 5th-8th and decent cup run but wouldn't be surprised if we finished as low as 12th and have our cup runs curtailed by the usual tough away draws/dodgy refereeing decisions we always seem to get.
Who the fuck is General Failure and why is he reading my harddisk?

Post by 1001 »

Sofa wrote:All I want from this season is the same brand of football we saw last season. Mixing it with the so called big teams and competing with the big spenders. I can't wait for a chance to go to a full Olympic stadium on a midweek europa game. I can't even be bothered reading all the negative stuff. It's all positive for me. This is the start of a new era in our clubs history. Let's just enjoy the ride eh.
goodpost:) What he said...
The only West Ham fan in the village...

Newmarket

Post by Newmarket »

I have no expectations whatsoever .

Plenty of hope and wishful thinking though .

I'm looking for a half full glass instead of my usual half empty one but that won't begin to transform until this fucking awful silly season is dead & buried.
Bring back Jonathon !

terrya1965

Post by terrya1965 »

Gonzo wrote:

I`d go along with Gonzo..I`d love to win the Cup too.7th would be Par though.I`m not one of them fans that expect too much.I really enjoyed our football last year.If it`s similar I will be happy.If we do better,I`d be ecstatic.

westsideboy

Post by westsideboy »

I think we need to bed in at the OS first, I think we may struggle a bit for the first few months especially if we don't strengthen at the back and get in a striker.
So I think 8th or 9th won't be to bad as I think most of the teams that under achieved last season will improve .

But an FA Cup would be my dream.