An "Average" Season

Chat about anything football related here!
Pennywise

An "Average" Season

Post by Pennywise »

It's been a tad negative on here recently and given some of the arguments and labels that we've been bang average, I thought I'd take a look at what is an average season for West Ham United.

So, I've taken our league positions for the last 10, 20, 30 and 40 years and taken the average. In the seasons where we lay in the 2nd tier, I have added the number of teams in the top division to the league position for that year. So, if we finished 7th in the old Div 2 in 1989/90, our corresponding league position for the average was 29 as there were 22 teams in the top flight. For the 2011-12 season, we finished 3rd in the Championship, so our average league position was 23 as there were 20 teams in the Prem that year.

Following? Excellent.

So, here are the results:

10 Year Average: 13.6
20 Year Average: 13.55
30 Year Average: 15.23
40 Year Average: 14.9

We are currently sitting 11th in the table, after last years over achievement, it's a little bit of a disappointment, granted. However, in terms of being West Ham, it's above average. This in a season that has seen us move into a new stadium, a move not without it's problems. It's also been a season that has seen us lose our best player. Yet, despite all that, we are still performing above what is our average.

Slav seems to be getting a bit of stick on here and I just don't get it at all. We've been relegated with better squads than this and in seasons where a lot less had been going on.

How's about cutting him and the team a bit of slack?

eskimo joe

Re: An "Average" Season

Post by eskimo joe »

Pennywise wrote:It's been a tad negative on here recently and given some of the arguments and labels that we've been bang average, I thought I'd take a look at what is an average season for West Ham United.

So, I've taken our league positions for the last 10, 20, 30 and 40 years and taken the average. In the seasons where we lay in the 2nd tier, I have added the number of teams in the top division to the league position for that year. So, if we finished 7th in the old Div 2 in 1989/90, our corresponding league position for the average was 29 as there were 22 teams in the top flight. For the 2011-12 season, we finished 3rd in the Championship, so our average league position was 23 as there were 20 teams in the Prem that year.

Following? Excellent.

We are currently sitting 11th in the table, after last years over achievement, it's a little bit of a disappointment, granted. However, in terms of being West Ham, it's above average. This in a season that has seen us move into a new stadium, a move not without it's problems. It's also been a season that has seen us lose our best player. Yet, despite all that, we are still performing above what is our average.

Slav seems to be getting a bit of stick on here and I just don't get it at all. We've been relegated with better squads than this and in seasons where a lot less had been going on.

Good post, and I would have said we were above average too, not pre Christmas though.

Though we are as we are just think how much better we would appear if Bilic didn't persist in some of his strange choices, and it is for that reason comments are made Bourne out of frustration.

I don't want him gone, just wsnt him to learn.
whufc_crest whufc_crest whufc_crest

Pennywise

Post by Pennywise »

eskimo joe wrote:
Pennywise wrote:It's been a tad negative on here recently and given some of the arguments and labels that we've been bang average, I thought I'd take a look at what is an average season for West Ham United.

Following? Excellent.

Good post, and I would have said we were above average too, not pre Christmas though.

Though we are as we are just think how much better we would appear if Bilic didn't persist in some of his strange choices, and it is for that reason comments are made Bourne out of frustration.

I know what you mean, but I think a lot of this is down to playing Antonio and Kouyate and right back. But, if he doesn't have a RB he trusts, what's he supposed to do....just play Byram and see the poor cunt get skinned every week?

Gonzo

Post by Gonzo »

Hello mate

I think a win away to Bournemouth will sort out a lot of the negativity.

I believe a lot of people had their expectations raised by the exceptional Payet led last season at UP, the move to the new stadium and the talk of a stellar signing. You are correct that 11th is not too shabby for West Ham but it's probably less than many expected.

OZHAMMER

Post by OZHAMMER »

Following? Excellent.

Great post EE.

We live in the age of entitlement - we expect this, and we expect it now.

Just be thankful for what you've got, instead of whinging for what you've not.

eskimo joe

Post by eskimo joe »

Pennywise wrote:
eskimo joe wrote:

I know what you mean, but I think a lot of this is down to playing Antonio and Kouyate and right back. But, if he doesn't have a RB he trusts, what's he supposed to do....just play Byram and see the poor cunt get skinned every week?

Well I must admit to thinking just that, or Nordvelt. Neither are probably totally ideal but maybe a better option than Kouyate who is best suited central.
whufc_crest whufc_crest whufc_crest

Brookbonds73

Post by Brookbonds73 »

In all honesty, for me this season was all about just staying up. I never expected us to emulate last seasons exploits.
Having said that, I like many others have been angered at our transfer dealings and by this constant barrage of bollocks spouted by our owners telling me how much we've spent this season.
All we've done in my eyes is sold a decent defender, and lost a world class midfielder and brought in average or below average journeymen.
It's left a bitter taste in my mouth I'm afraid and I feel as do others around me, like we've had the piss taken out of us, by a team of shysters.
We was told to embrace the change, well nows the time to start to improve. I don't want average, I want better than that from now on. A steady improvement EVERY year. After 40 odd years a Hammer, I've had a guts full of average.
Love a cup of Rosey I do.

Pennywise

Post by Pennywise »

Bonds, I agree, the one thing that annoys me the most are the lies from the board. No, I don't hate them, yes, I can see they've done a stand up job. But let's not kid ourselves, they've not done it out of any love for the club, they've done it to make money. The nonsense about signing £30m players drives me up the wall because they're treating us like idiots.

Still, with what he's had at his disposal, I don't think it's been anywhere near as bad as some make out. Some weeks we've been good, some uttery shite. THAT is the West Ham way.

Joe, I wouldn't have either Nordtviet or Byram starting. The idea scares the shit out of me. At RB the best option out of a load of bad ones is Kouyate, which isn't saying much I know.

ToneLoc

Post by ToneLoc »

Following? Excellent.

Agree mate.
Yes there's a twinge of anti-climax after last season and I think most people are more pissed off at the poor performance of the club in the last 2 transfer windows.

But when all is said and done, taking into account the fact that we were always going to struggle in the new place, poor and lack of attention to key positions in the squad, issues with the fat Frenchman.......it's been an OK if not great season so far..... still time for some nice wins to perk us up of course.
I've certainly enjoyed this season as a whole it and can generally place the word "enjoy" around the majority of the games I've watched.

Still, that may have something to do with listening to some of the inane but comical bollocks spouted by dear ol Woo during the game :D
Fancy calling your only son "Barnestoneworth"
He's got another name....
Yeah....."United"

jameskel

Post by jameskel »

FFS

cant you just have a punch up with Porterman, rather than subjecting us to that pile of wank :D

We have all been duped by the promises from the owners
Covid in the Boardroom