Mervyn Day

Chat about anything football related here!
Down under mick

Mervyn Day

Post by Down under mick »

Just wondering how you blokes rate Mervyn Day as a goal keeper. Have vague memories watching him on tv back here in oz in the early to mid 70s probably not as good as Phil Parkes

redders64

Re: Mervyn Day

Post by redders64 »

I remember watching him back in the 70s myself and thought he was a more than decent goalie!!

Down under mick

Yeah he seemed to go alright pretty spectacular saved a few penalties from memory

dorsetdano

Post by dorsetdano »

He was an excellent goalkeeper and broke into the first when very young certainly before he was 20. He played in the 75 cup final and the 76 cup winners cup game and was being talked of England's next goalkeeper at a time when Shilton and Clemence were in their prime. At some point and I think it was in the 77-78 season he was playing at home and was lobbed outrageously from almost half way by someone (he probably came out further from his line than any other goalie at the time from memory). Having conceded this goal, his confidence seemed to go completely and he changed from being sure and confident (just the right side of cocky) to indecisive almost overnight. His form dropped off and he picked up some injuries and worst still we were relegated. Bobby Ferguson regained his place as goalie but was seen as being a stop gap and eventually Phil Parkes was signed and Mervyn never got a look in from there.

He left for Orient and eventually ended up at Leeds where he had a good few years. He came back to the club as Curbishley's no 2 and left at the same time as Curbs. Never met him, but told that he is an OK guy.

That's how I remember it

Newmarket

Post by Newmarket »

I remember the North Bank chant " Mervyn Mervyn on your line..."
Slaughtered him , but decent keeper up to that point.
Bring back Jonathon !

Down under mick

Thanks for that. With the newspapers all time best side I just wondered where he stood glad to see billy bonds my all time favorite getting heaps of votes

Brookbonds73

Post by Brookbonds73 »

Newmarket wrote:I remember the North Bank chant " Mervyn Mervyn on your line..."
Slaughtered him , but decent keeper up to that point.
The bloke who lobbed him from practically the half way line was an Evertonian named Ronnie goodlass in a 2-2 draw at Upton Park. Like you say Newms it slaughtered him and his confidence was shot. A good keeper up til then, but no where near Phil Parkes, who if it had not been for shilton and clemence would have been England's number one for a long time.
Love a cup of Rosey I do.

downunda

Post by downunda »

Yes I have the same memory myself, he got lobbed that once and then a few games after that he started to hesitate with the high balls and wasn't sure whether to stay on his line or go for it. I also remember him getting some stick from the home fans. It then came down to a total loss of confidence.

eskimo joe

Post by eskimo joe »

Iremember him being the dogs bollox when he started many were praising him.. Also some didnt like him cause he appeared arrogant but changed their opinion when he cried after the F.A cup win.
whufc_crest whufc_crest whufc_crest

garnett

Post by garnett »

If memory serves me right he had the goalkeeping world at his feet, then got married.

The rest is history.