WHU as a Business

Chat about anything football related here!
frogiron3

Re: WHU as a Business

Post by frogiron3 »

Helo F&D. Been a while. Hope all is good with you
Fade-and-Die wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 1:14 pm
frogiron3 wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 10:54 am Morning -

My thoughts exactly, line by line, point by point.

And welcome back, mate. Again :D

frogiron3

Post by frogiron3 »

eastcoastclaret wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 1:37 pm The frogs back and making sense as always.
Anyone seen Nev?
Hello East. Good to see you again mate

Newmarket

Post by Newmarket »

If you’d asked me 4/5 years ago I’d have said without a dadow of a shout that Allardyce’s era was the worst most boring negative shit my eyes had ever suffered over West Ham .
I detest that man and everything he stands for .

Then Moyes rocked up …..

Allardyce might have been an ‘Orrible cunt with ‘Orrible football but at least he was trying to win every game.
Bring back Jonathon !

palerider

Post by palerider »

Newmarket wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 6:05 pm If you’d asked me 4/5 years ago I’d have said without a dadow of a shout that Allardyce’s era was the worst most boring negative shit my eyes had ever suffered over West Ham .
I detest that man and everything he stands for .

Then Moyes rocked up …..

Allardyce might have been an ‘Orrible cunt with ‘Orrible football but at least he was trying to win every game.
In his way I suppose he was.

Shrek was, and is, one horrible arrogant cunt. The fact I like him more as a person than Moyes says it all.

garnett

Post by garnett »

I don't get approaching football as if I were a contestant on The Apprentice.

Maybe the owners encourage it. By discussing annual results, financial forecasts, “involving” us in the “business” then fans will excuse their appalling decisions as financial sense. Or worse, feel like they have been part of them.

As if anything any of us said or thought would make the slightest difference to a multi-million pound entertainment business. Owned by an individual. We’re not Union Berlin. We are a club owned by very wealthy people who act in their own self-interest.

The idea of involvement is, imo, a smoke screen

I grew up with Greenwood and Lyall. Those were salad days. Ricocheting between success and failure, winning cups and relegation. Always dramatic, always engaging. Always playing the “right” way. It may have helped as a kid being four feet from the playing surface - so close you could smell the deep heat on the players and hear every word they said. But it was magical and emotional.

Look at what we’ve had to endure since those days.

We had Bilic – exciting but too mercurial. Roeder – one of my most disengaged periods. I think I slept through most of it. Zola – f**k it, lets see what happens. Oh - that. Curbs – Let’s make us as safe and boring as Charlton. Allardyce was the most hideous, anti-football, arrogant dick. I screamed like a banshee when his name was being proposed. And I hated every single minute of his tenure. My worst period in my 55 years as a west ham fan.

I loved our time under Arry. He made things exciting – you never knew what was going to happen. He was like betting blind – you could end up with a royal flush, or a nine high. Ludicrously unpredictable. But it was fun.

And that is what I want. Fun.

If it is just about success, we’re following the wrong club. It’s always been about entertainment. Otherwise why support West Ham?

If it’s about business, I simply don’t care. It's not my money.

Rich people who buy football cubs don’t do it for sound financial motives. It’s a vanity thing. Which is fine – fill your boots. Strut around in a Russian hat all you like. But don’t expect me to give the tiniest of sh*ts about your financial well-being. It’s your business. You chose to buy it. Freely chose. And you enjoy the cachet of sitting in the Directors box. Good for you – you paid for it.

I can buy potatoes at Tesco. I can like their potatoes. It does not mean I need to be involved in, care about, or even think about, the annual results of supermarket. I Don’t care.

The job of an owner is to dig deep, spend money and entertain me. If you can’t afford it, sling your hook and sell to someone who can. That’s the entertainment business.

I follow the club for excitement. For drama. I’d rather flirt with relegation than sit watching a bunch of static lumps grind out a 0-0 by being “hard to beat”.

Just give me entertainment again. I just hate the “mid-table security” mindset. More Arry. Less Fat Sam.
Welcome back Frog

frogiron3

Post by frogiron3 »

garnett wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 11:22 am

I don't get approaching football as if I were a contestant on The Apprentice.

Maybe the owners encourage it. By discussing annual results, financial forecasts, “involving” us in the “business” then fans will excuse their appalling decisions as financial sense. Or worse, feel like they have been part of them.

As if anything any of us said or thought would make the slightest difference to a multi-million pound entertainment business. Owned by an individual. We’re not Union Berlin. We are a club owned by very wealthy people who act in their own self-interest.

The idea of involvement is, imo, a smoke screen

I grew up with Greenwood and Lyall. Those were salad days. Ricocheting between success and failure, winning cups and relegation. Always dramatic, always engaging. Always playing the “right” way. It may have helped as a kid being four feet from the playing surface - so close you could smell the deep heat on the players and hear every word they said. But it was magical and emotional.

Look at what we’ve had to endure since those days.

We had Bilic – exciting but too mercurial. Roeder – one of my most disengaged periods. I think I slept through most of it. Zola – f**k it, lets see what happens. Oh - that. Curbs – Let’s make us as safe and boring as Charlton. Allardyce was the most hideous, anti-football, arrogant dick. I screamed like a banshee when his name was being proposed. And I hated every single minute of his tenure. My worst period in my 55 years as a west ham fan.

I loved our time under Arry. He made things exciting – you never knew what was going to happen. He was like betting blind – you could end up with a royal flush, or a nine high. Ludicrously unpredictable. But it was fun.

And that is what I want. Fun.

If it is just about success, we’re following the wrong club. It’s always been about entertainment. Otherwise why support West Ham?

If it’s about business, I simply don’t care. It's not my money.

Rich people who buy football cubs don’t do it for sound financial motives. It’s a vanity thing. Which is fine – fill your boots. Strut around in a Russian hat all you like. But don’t expect me to give the tiniest of sh*ts about your financial well-being. It’s your business. You chose to buy it. Freely chose. And you enjoy the cachet of sitting in the Directors box. Good for you – you paid for it.

I can buy potatoes at Tesco. I can like their potatoes. It does not mean I need to be involved in, care about, or even think about, the annual results of supermarket. I Don’t care.

The job of an owner is to dig deep, spend money and entertain me. If you can’t afford it, sling your hook and sell to someone who can. That’s the entertainment business.

I follow the club for excitement. For drama. I’d rather flirt with relegation than sit watching a bunch of static lumps grind out a 0-0 by being “hard to beat”.

Just give me entertainment again. I just hate the “mid-table security” mindset. More Arry. Less Fat Sam.
Welcome back Frog
Hello Alf -Good to see you mate. Hope all is good with you

Fade-and-Die

Post by Fade-and-Die »

frogiron3 wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 4:02 pm Helo F&D. Been a while. Hope all is good with you
Fade-and-Die wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 1:14 pm
All is well, thank you mate. I hope yourself likewise.

frogiron3

Post by frogiron3 »

Yeah all good F&D. Cheers.

A sprightly 35. In my head. Sadly, in real years, that was 30 years ago. But still cracking on and ignoring the (many) aches and pains gathered through a lifetime of ingnoring every bit of advice ever provided to me :lol: :lol:

Fade-and-Die wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 1:19 pm
frogiron3 wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 4:02 pm Helo F&D. Been a while. Hope all is good with you

All is well, thank you mate. I hope yourself likewise.

garnett

Post by garnett »

frogiron3 wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 12:08 pm
garnett wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 11:22 am

Welcome back Frog
All good here in wet Bow a bit older balder and fatter.
Tbh the site has been struggling, you may just be the tonic to reignite it with your wisdom, which I'm afraid to say has been lacking somewhat.
I'm glad you're back.

exhammer

Post by exhammer »

garnett wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 2:16 pm
frogiron3 wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 12:08 pm

All good here in wet Bow a bit older balder and fatter.
Tbh the site has been struggling, you may just be the tonic to reignite it with your wisdom, which I'm afraid to say has been lacking somewhat.
I'm glad you're back.
Place needs reigniting. Most exciting thing I've read here lately has been the two Aussie lovebirds trying to get it on. :o