Arsenal vs West Ham Official Match Thread

Chat about anything football related here!
Flairon

Re: Arsenal vs West Ham Official Match Thread

Post by Flairon »

dagenhamdave wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 2:46 pm Looking at the big picture would JWP be a better penalty taker than Benny?
Has to be surely.
Flairon

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

Flairon wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 12:31 pm Amongst all the disharmony I feel that we have lost sight of the fact that we have so far this season defeated Arsenal (twice), Chelsea, The Spuds, Man Utd and let's not forget Brighton away.

Sure there have been some poor results, but if we are being honest that has long been the case.

As fans, we are being ridiculed by fans of other clubs for having an unrealistic sense of entitlement. Sure it is not perfect, but it's is surely better than it was under Alladyce, Bilic, Curbishly, Pelligrini to name but a few.

The idiom, be careful of what you wish for, springs to mind.

Quieten down old chap, you're fucking up some agendas here. ;)
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

Flairon wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 5:47 pm
eskimo joe wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 4:17 pm
At the end of tge day we are an exciting team on the counter attack, even when we play defensively. Sadly we may potentially loose Pacqueta, Bowen and Kudus before too long, so will need to regroup and rebuild once again.
The world and his wife know City want Paqueta and what City want City usually get. Who wouldn't want to play in a Guardiola team.

Not sure we should be resigned to losing Bowen, Kudus and Alvarez though if we can offer them European football. Good players want success and if we can offer them a modicum of that there's no real reason why they need to leave. Of course if we slip back to being a club simply in the PL to make up the numbers the best of the bunch will want out, and no one could really blame them.

Towie

Post by Towie »

Whiskyman wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 8:19 am
Flairon wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 12:31 pm Amongst all the disharmony I feel that we have lost sight of the fact that we have so far this season defeated Arsenal (twice), Chelsea, The Spuds, Man Utd and let's not forget Brighton away.

Sure there have been some poor results, but if we are being honest that has long been the case.

As fans, we are being ridiculed by fans of other clubs for having an unrealistic sense of entitlement. Sure it is not perfect, but it's is surely better than it was under Alladyce, Bilic, Curbishly, Pelligrini to name but a few.

Agendas? Please enlighten us?
It’s not what you do it is the way that you do it.

Clayton

Post by Clayton »

Agendas ? what plans could any of the fans on here have that could in anyway affect the club ? :roll: how could any of us get our way with or without the cooperation of the majority . Sounds to me like you think there is a rebellion looming on the horizon .
I think as fans we just give our opinions on issues at the club that we consider to be important and think should be solved . I think the real issue at times on forums is when one fans opinion is not seen as matching those of the clubs supposed stalwart or seen as the right sort of supporter , thats when the sarcasm raises its ugly head , because they see themselves as having the only opinion .

For instance just because our current manager and the squad have us doing better then was thought possible doesn't mean it can't be improved upon . A few points to consider , that most fans have opinions about and are not part of a underground conspiracy .

1. I think the majority of fans want the club to have new owners to take the club forward .
2. I think the majority of fans think we could always do with better players or even actually having a a striker playing on matchday ?
3. A different manager could get more out of certain players/selection if players were actually started in their best position .
4. A different manager may give the youth a chance ( a lot of the other clubs are doing it , and doing it well ) we will never know if they have the ability otherwise .
5. A different manager may do better if he actually had tactics to fall back on if Plan A isn't working .
6. Just because the current manager has managed along with the current squad to win a minor European Trophy and had them finishing consistently in the top half of the table doesn't mean a new manager couldn't build on this .

Newmarket

Post by Newmarket »

dagenhamdave wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 2:46 pm Looking at the big picture would JWP be a better penalty taker than Benny?
The stats say otherwise.

Benrahma and even Paqueta have a far superior strike rate than JWP , though he can take a corner.
Bring back Jonathon !

dagenhamdave

Post by dagenhamdave »

Newmarket wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:26 am
The stats say otherwise.

Benrahma and even Paqueta have a far superior strike rate than JWP , though he can take a corner.
Benny's shooting skill during a match is piss poor at best?

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

Clayton wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 9:50 am

Agendas ? what plans could any of the fans on here have that could in anyway affect the club ? :roll: how could any of us get our way with or without the cooperation of the majority . Sounds to me like you think there is a rebellion looming on the horizon .
I think as fans we just give our opinions on issues at the club that we consider to be important and think should be solved . I think the real issue at times on forums is when one fans opinion is not seen as matching those of the clubs supposed stalwart or seen as the right sort of supporter , thats when the sarcasm raises its ugly head , because they see themselves as having the only opinion .

For instance just because our current manager and the squad have us doing better then was thought possible doesn't mean it can't be improved upon . A few points to consider , that most fans have opinions about and are not part of a underground conspiracy .

1. I think the majority of fans want the club to have new owners to take the club forward .
2. I think the majority of fans think we could always do with better players or even actually having a a striker playing on matchday ?
3. A different manager could get more out of certain players/selection if players were actually started in their best position .
4. A different manager may give the youth a chance ( a lot of the other clubs are doing it , and doing it well ) we will never know if they have the ability otherwise .
5. A different manager may do better if he actually had tactics to fall back on if Plan A isn't working .
6. Just because the current manager has managed along with the current squad to win a minor European Trophy and had them finishing consistently in the top half of the table doesn't mean a new manager couldn't build on this .
I think you're reading too much into a tongue in cheek comment mate. Let's put it another way. I can't disagree with any of the points you've made above, although of course it could be said the opposite of what everyone would hope could just as easily happen. This is West Ham after all.

But as you wll know there are a small number of people who, irrespective of the team's achievements, will refuse to give Moyes any credit for those achievements. I think most fans realise he has many faults but equally can recognise the club now enjoys a higher standing in the pecking order than prior to his arrival. One of the faults often mentioned is stubbornnes, probably a valid observation, but surely it's just as stubborn to refuse to recognise any of the improvements that have happenedc under the Moyes management, warts and all.

Newmarket

Post by Newmarket »

At the end of the day we all want what is best for West Ham United .
As much as I detest Moyes for his (usually) inept or lack of in-game management, his often seemingly non-existent squad management, his snide remarks directed at the greatest fanbase in the world and his refusal to integrate our marvellous set of kids into the first team set up in any shape or form , there is no denying what he has achieved in the last 4 years .

Watching defensive football CAN be entertaining when it’s carried out efficiently and effectively but it’ll take more than 3 clean sheets to convince me I’m afraid though I allow myself to be hopeful.
It’s our mo though that it won’t last . That doesn’t mean it can’t though .
The opportunity for us (the club) to build on what , to us , is success has been there a few times over the last few years .

Our inability to win the game that would put us top 4 has been evident since the Payet season .
Our refusal to invest in January windows when the opportunity to kick on and build has hampered us ( Payet season , last Europa run 2 years ago) and Moyes’ 12/13 man favourites squad system has always been a problem but just because we are just ‘little ole West Ham’ and we should know our place doesn’t mean things could not have been even better . It doesn’t mean we have a sense of entitlement it just means we have a little ambition.

Let’s hope a couple more classy additions to the squad this month show that Sullivan’s hopes and wishes for the club match ours .
I mean , Werner or Emineke ? Go figure …

I’m not holding my breath.
Bring back Jonathon !

Newmarket

Post by Newmarket »

dagenhamdave wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:44 am
Newmarket wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:26 am

The stats say otherwise.

Benny's shooting skill during a match is piss poor at best?
Apologies Dave , I thought we were talking Penalties 🙄
Bring back Jonathon !