AFCON

Chat about anything football related here!
garnett

Re: AFCON

Post by garnett »

He has got to be gutted, the size of that shop window to showcase himself and they fucked it up.
I still think he is gone in the summer.

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

garnett wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:18 am He has got to be gutted, the size of that shop window to showcase himself and they fucked it up.
Imo if we can offer him Europoean football he stays, if not he'll want out. Understandable.
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

andyginbrasil

Post by andyginbrasil »

Whiskyman wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:33 am
garnett wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:18 am He has got to be gutted, the size of that shop window to showcase himself and they fucked it up.
Imo if we can offer him Europoean football he stays, if not he'll want out. Understandable.
So out then

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

andyginbrasil wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:38 am

So out then
If Chelsea beat the Mickey Mousers in the Mickey Mouse cup then probably right. Might just squeak in if the scousers win it. Of course if Fulham do the biz tonight that theory goes down the flusher. ;)

andyginbrasil

Post by andyginbrasil »

Whiskyman wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:41 am
andyginbrasil wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:38 am

So out then
If Chelsea beat the Mickey Mousers in the Mickey Mouse cup then probably right. Might just squeak in if the scousers win it. Of course if Fulham do the biz tonight that theory goes down the flusher. ;)
I wouldn't worry about tonight Whisky, we've got another 18 games to fuck it up :D

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

andyginbrasil wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:42 am
Whiskyman wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:41 am

I wouldn't worry about tonight Whisky, we've got another 18 games to fuck it up :D
Indeed we have. But the two "elite" clubs below us who are reckoned to be the biggest threat aren't doing a bad job of fucking their own chances up as well. The old one step forward , two steps back principle.

garnett

Post by garnett »

Of course it's understandable, we're only a stepping stone club european football or not, it's what's wrong with our recruitment policy imo, no long term strategy.

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

garnett wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:58 am

Of course it's understandable, we're only a stepping stone club european football or not, it's what's wrong with our recruitment policy imo, no long term strategy.
I have to disagree. Our recruitment policy in the past has too often involved buying players past their sell by date, Redknapp was a master of this particulr strategy, who then have no resale value should the club wish to get them out of the door. By bringing in the likes of Kudus and Alvarez, who may well see the club as a stepping stone, should they decide to move on their value will have been enhanced and, as we have seen with the Rice money (compare how that was spent with the way the Rio Ferdinand fee was squandered) if the money is used wisely it can improve the squad. That is my definition of a joined up thinking transfer policy as opposed to simply throwing money at any player whose agent comes through the door waving brown envelopes at the right moment.

Steidten still has to pass the test of time of course but the early signs, Kudus and Alvarez, as opposed to Maguire for instance, do at least show the green shoots of a coherent policy being implemented. If we could do better at getting our promising young players out on loan we might even see one or two being added to the first team pool which would be a further benefit.

JayK

Post by JayK »

Whiskyman wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 3:27 pm
garnett wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:58 am

I have to disagree. Our recruitment policy in the past has too often involved buying players past their sell by date, Redknapp was a master of this particulr strategy, who then have no resale value should the club wish to get them out of the door. By bringing in the likes of Kudus and Alvarez, who may well see the club as a stepping stone, should they decide to move on their value will have been enhanced and, as we have seen with the Rice money (compare how that was spent with the way the Rio Ferdinand fee was squandered) if the money is used wisely it can improve the squad. That is my definition of a joined up thinking transfer policy as opposed to simply throwing money at any player whose agent comes through the door waving brown envelopes at the right moment.

Steidten still has to pass the test of time of course but the early signs, Kudus and Alvarez, as opposed to Maguire for instance, do at least show the green shoots of a coherent policy being implemented. If we could do better at getting our promising young players out on loan we might even see one or two being added to the first team pool which would be a further benefit.
Agree with that. Brighton do it very well. Eventually we might find ourselves at the point of keeping some of our better players rather than sell them on
COYI!!!

dagenhamdave

Post by dagenhamdave »

Watching Aguerd is playing as a right centre half tonight.
After 40 minutes he looks comfortable on either foot and playing quite well, putting in some excellent diagonal passes.

Won 1-0 and he had a very solid game.