West Ham vs Olympiacos Official Match Thread

Chat about anything football related here!
Newmarket

Re: West Ham vs Olympiacos Official Match Thread

Post by Newmarket »

Whiskyman wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 9:48 am
Newmarket wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 11:32 pm Well that was a load of shit wasn’t it .

Did it reach the lofty standards needed to be described as shit ? Didn't think it was that good myself. Apart from a 10 minute spell it had all the enthusiasm of a bloody testimonial.

But Emerson was decent.
Tbf I saw 10 minutes of “highlights” last night and am only going by the general consensus.
Tbh I’m beginning to lose interest again and am tempted to believe, albeit through here say in this case , that after our recent PL performances Olympiakos couldn’t have been much cop.

If we get beat at the weekend as I expect we are bang in trouble imo.
David Moyes has made a habit of , and imo saved his job over the last 2 years by beating the poor teams at home to keep his head above water .

However losing at home to Everton has bucked that trend so I’m not exactly full of confidence for what is to come.

Call me doom and gloom but this is all becoming reminiscent of the Cuntosaurus’ final season .

Only 2 months earlier .

If Allardyce’s final season had gone to pot in October/November instead of the new year we would have been relegated.
Bring back Jonathon !

Dwayne Pipes

Post by Dwayne Pipes »

It wasn’t pretty then again it rarely is with us.
One bright moment of a lovely ball by Prowse and a decent finish by Paqueta in a fucking dull as dishwater game.
Enough said.

terrya1965

Post by terrya1965 »

Flairon wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 8:39 am
deanox wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 11:18 pm Fuck Moyes, but a good win even if we didn’t play that good.
Paqueta took his goal well so onwards and upwards.
I do have to say this guys, I know we have a loathing for the sweaty sock but it’s great to see us competing in Europe for the third year in a row, even if we’re not playing champagne football it’s been a great ride and I hope there’s more to come.

Fuck me these happy pills are great 😉⚒⚒⚒

Tbh, I think we are all a little spoiled by how easy it appeared last season in the Europa Conference. Today's result was good, but we all feel disappointed by the performance.

Why oh why do we take so long to make changes when it clearly is not going right on the pitch.
I think that is a fair assessment mate.

It was never going to be straightforward,but we got the result and that's what counts at the end of the day.One or two frustrate me,especially Paqueta and Benrahma.Thought Coufal had a decent game for us.

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

Newmarket wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 11:05 am
Whiskyman wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 9:48 am

Did it reach the lofty standards needed to be described as shit ? Didn't think it was that good myself. Apart from a 10 minute spell it had all the enthusiasm of a bloody testimonial.

But Emerson was decent.
Tbf I saw 10 minutes of “highlights” last night and am only going by the general consensus.
Tbh I’m beginning to lose interest again and am tempted to believe, albeit through here say in this case , that after our recent PL performances Olympiakos couldn’t have been much cop.

If we get beat at the weekend as I expect we are bang in trouble imo.
David Moyes has made a habit of , and imo saved his job over the last 2 years by beating the poor teams at home to keep his head above water .

However losing at home to Everton has bucked that trend so I’m not exactly full of confidence for what is to come.

Call me doom and gloom but this is all becoming reminiscent of the Cuntosaurus’ final season .

Only 2 months earlier .

If Allardyce’s final season had gone to pot in October/November instead of the new year we would have been relegated.
Can't disagree with anything you've said there. And you have probably noticed the common thread. We were going very well until it became common knowledge that Allardyce's time was up, at which point the wheels fell off, a state of affairs I, and I suspect many others, attributed to lame duck manager syndrome. This season the news of Moyes departure at season's end has come a little earlier but I wxpect a very similar outcome in terms of results because of the news. And there is one person alone who can be held responsible for this shambolic way of running a company. Although tbh it beggars belief that the other major shareholders have permitted such a massive cock up regarding releasing the info.

After all they are shareholders and each league position directly affects the value of their shareholding. And relegation would hurt them even more. We are indeed fortunate there are unbelievably at least 4 teams who are actually playing worse than we are.
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

Clayton wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 10:43 am A 1-0 win in Europe at home - 56% possession - 14 shots - 5 on target - 6 corners - and a clean sheet , Greeks had only the 9 attempts with none on target , the players received scores from 6.5 for Cornet which was the lowest up to JWP receiving a 7.8 the highest and PotM award on the BBC . At least 8 of our players received a ranking of 7 or more , that's mindblowing stats for the players in my book .
Sounds to me like we got a convincing win over tough opposition , or am I reading to much into this article , and we as asual played bang average under the great disillusioned one .
Tbh I never really pay much attention to those silly markings and it sounds from your post that you don't either. But fwiw I thought Emerson had a decent game, probably our best player in fact, but the rest were at best bang average to very sub standard. As Dwayne mentions there was one piece of quality football played and that was the bit that resulted in the goal, thanks to one of the rare occasions where VAR did what it's supposed to do.
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

Optimistic Lee

Post by Optimistic Lee »

I haven’t managed to read all accounts of the match and so I apologise in advance if this observation has already been spotted by one of you.

When Pacqueta scored he predictably ran to the fans to celebrate. He then came to a halt and he did that South American wagging of the finger from side to side which confused me , until he angrily pointed to the spot he was standing on. I was confused no more my friends, as I interpreted this body language as a clear statement to the fans to ignore all the speculation about my impending departure because I am here to stay playing for this great club.

Man City effectively dumped him once the alleged betting anomalies were disclosed by aborting the transfer. Brazilian international management also dumped him. Conversely, West Ham stayed loyal to Luis and we may well have another Paolo who will never forget the support that the fans and management (excluding Moyes) have shown to this rising star.

The sands have shifted since Pac-Man was intent on joining Citie. Moyes is withering on the vine and Tim, along with the support of Noble and others, are clearly in charge of leading the future vision for this great club. Bowen was convinced, which is why he signed a new contract. Kudus, Bowen and Paqueta are an awesome forward attacking midfield and we just need Tim signings in key areas to achieve short to medium term progress.

Watch the Pacqueta replay of his celebration and tell me that I am wrong.
Tough times never last but tough people do

Newmarket

Post by Newmarket »

Optimistic Lee wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 6:32 pm I haven’t managed to read all accounts of the match and so I apologise in advance if this observation has already been spotted by one of you.

When Pacqueta scored he predictably ran to the fans to celebrate. He then came to a halt and he did that South American wagging of the finger from side to side which confused me , until he angrily pointed to the spot he was standing on. I was confused no more my friends, as I interpreted this body language as a clear statement to the fans to ignore all the speculation about my impending departure because I am here to stay playing for this great club.

Man City effectively dumped him once the alleged betting anomalies were disclosed by aborting the transfer. Brazilian international management also dumped him. Conversely, West Ham stayed loyal to Luis and we may well have another Paolo who will never forget the support that the fans and management (excluding Moyes) have shown to this rising star.

The sands have shifted since Pac-Man was intent on joining Citie. Moyes is withering on the vine and Tim, along with the support of Noble and others, are clearly in charge of leading the future vision for this great club. Bowen was convinced, which is why he signed a new contract. Kudus, Bowen and Paqueta are an awesome forward attacking midfield and we just need Tim signings in key areas to achieve short to medium term progress.

Watch the Pacqueta replay of his celebration and tell me that I am wrong.
You are wrong :lol:

Well you might be … well you are probably wrong 😃
Bring back Jonathon !

normannomates

Post by normannomates »

deluded -lee

youre still young...get out while you can

Optimistic Lee

Post by Optimistic Lee »

Okay my friends, I stand corrected. It was nice to dream for a fleeting moment, but I guess that I suffering from a bewildered optimism.
Tough times never last but tough people do