Well now David.

Chat about anything football related here!
terrya1965

Re: Moyes here next season or not ?

Post by terrya1965 »

Whiskyman wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 11:17 pm
terrya1965 wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 10:31 pm

I actually enjoyed 1981 a lot more tbh.We walked the 2nd Division,got to a League Cup Final and we were in Europe too.Believe it or not,our average home Attendance was over 6,000 higher in 1981.The crowds didn't pick up till the last 3 or 4 games.It was really exciting the last few games,if only we wouldn't have started the season so badly,winning just one of the first seven games.

I went to a lot of games in both seasons too.
My highlight of 1981 was an unbelievable trip to Tbilisi. We played ome good stuff but usually the opposition was so fucking crap we went to games expecting to win,which we usually did. Apart from when we played Luton of course.
We won 15 from 17 games in the middle of that season. Luton,with the London derbies cost us.Spurs and Arsenal Away,then Chelsea at home only weeks after we hammered them 4-0 at the Bridge(one of my favourite performances of all time).It was a "If only" season.
Tbilisi has to go down has the best performance by any team I have seen at UP..We sid beat them away 1-0,their first defeat at their place for a ridiculous amount out of time.

I think we can both agree,both would be go down has our greatest seasons on the whole. This is why for me,Alan Devonshire is in my Top 3 has Greatest West Ham player.(Brooking and Moore my top 2).

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

terrya1965 wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:00 am
Whiskyman wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 11:17 pm

My highlight of 1981 was an unbelievable trip to Tbilisi. We played ome good stuff but usually the opposition was so fucking crap we went to games expecting to win,which we usually did. Apart from when we played Luton of course.
We won 15 from 17 games in the middle of that season. Luton,with the London derbies cost us.Spurs and Arsenal Away,then Chelsea at home only weeks after we hammered them 4-0 at the Bridge(one of my favourite performances of all time).It was a "If only" season.
Tbilisi has to go down has the best performance by any team I have seen at UP..We sid beat them away 1-0,their first defeat at their place for a ridiculous amount out of time.

I think we can both agree,both would be go down has our greatest seasons on the whole. This is why for me,Alan Devonshire is in my Top 3 has Greatest West Ham player.(Brooking and Moore my top 2).
!985/86 is the best for me, absolutely no contest. As I said in the previous post we played some great football in the 1981 promtion season but muchj of it against crap opposition which is why it doesn't clome close in my book. That season we were going to watch matches just knowing we were going to win. An unusual experience to say the least.
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

Newmarket

Post by Newmarket »

Whiskyman wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:36 am
terrya1965 wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:00 am

!985/86 That season we were going to watch matches just knowing we were going to win. An unusual experience to say the least.
You mean a bit like this years Europa Conference League ?

Good god it’s an omen .
Bring back Jonathon !

JayK

Post by JayK »

Newmarket wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 3:06 pm

!985/86 That season we were going to watch matches just knowing we were going to win. An unusual experience to say the least.

Good god it’s an omen .
Tim’s drunk :lol:
COYI!!!

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

Good god it’s an omen .
Oi !! If you're going to edit my quoted FFS do it properly. ;) You've made it look as if I said we were going to matches expecting to win that season, when I said we EXPECTED to win games when we were in the second division playing against crap opposition with the bloody good team we had at the time.

And for what it's worth I haven't been expecting us to win the conference games easily since the Cypriots. And, whisper it quietly, it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if we get played off the park next Wednesday. Fiorentina are a very good side technically (he said, after watching a whole 80 minutes of clips from this season's Serie A games) who play with a bit of pace. They like to keep the ball at ground level too.

But if we do lose I'll be choking on the canapes. ;)

Whiskyman

Oi, Newmarket

Post by Whiskyman »

Looking at the voting so far one question springs to mind.

How long has the dwarf been coming along to the forum ?

Newmarket

Post by Newmarket »

Whiskyman wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 3:43 pm

Good god it’s an omen .
Oi !! If you're going to edit my quoted FFS do it properly. ;) You've made it look as if I said we were going to matches expecting to win that season, when I said we EXPECTED to win games when we were in the second division playing against crap opposition with the bloody good team we had at the time.

And for what it's worth I haven't been expecting us to win the conference games easily since the Cypriots. And, whisper it quietly, it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if we get played off the park next Wednesday. Fiorentina are a very good side technically (he said, after watching a whole 80 minutes of clips from this season's Serie A games) who play with a bit of pace. They like to keep the ball at ground level too.

But if we do lose I'll be choking on the canapes. ;)
Apologies, I didn’t read your post properly.
It doesn’t really matter though .
You went to matches in the second division expecting to win matches and lots , maybe even most of our fanbase watched the conference league games with similar expectations.

I agree though that they may come a cropper having the same level of expectation in (shhhh 🤫) Prague.
Bring back Jonathon !

Newmarket

Re: If Moyes Goes (Poll)

Post by Newmarket »

Well , the Dwarf Cunt has finally found , what to him , is THE winning formula.
A cheap yes man Cunt with the ability to keep the club on the gravy train of the Premier League whilst keeping 50% of the fan base wetting their knickers over European qualification every year ?
Big 3 days for Sullivan , the Messiah AND Rice .

Tin pot Mickey Mouse trophy maybe , but maybe the biggest 3 days in the history of West Ham United.
Bring back Jonathon !

terrya1965

Post by terrya1965 »

Newmarket wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:13 am Well , the Dwarf Cunt has finally found , what to him , is THE winning formula.
A cheap yes man Cunt with the ability to keep the club on the gravy train of the Premier League whilst keeping 50% of the fan base wetting their knickers over European qualification every year ?

Tin pot Mickey Mouse trophy maybe , but maybe the biggest 3 days in the history of West Ham United.
In what aspect do you say it's the biggest game in our history Tim?

If we win this one,it would be the lowest on the list of triumphs for the fans,who witness the other Cup wins,but for moving the club forward,yes the most important.It would help put us even more on the map and it's Europe again next season.

I don't think it touches any of the other 3 wins personally.Winning the FA Cup was proper massive back then,it was what every club wanted to win.Some say this will match the CWC,but if they did their research,the opposition we beat were a lot better than the one's we beat this season.Some were Champions elect and they were all near or around about the tops of their Leagues at the time.

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

terrya1965 wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:18 am
Newmarket wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:13 am Well , the Dwarf Cunt has finally found , what to him , is THE winning formula.

In what aspect do you say it's the biggest game in our history Tim?

If we win this one,it would be the lowest on the list of triumphs for the fans,who witness the other Cup wins,but for moving the club forward,yes the most important.It would help put us even more on the map and it's Europe again next season.

I don't think it touches any of the other 3 wins personally.Winning the FA Cup was proper massive back then,it was what every club wanted to win.Some say this will match the CWC,but if they did their research,the opposition we beat were a lot better than the one's we beat this season.Some were Champions elect and they were all near or around about the tops of their Leagues at the time.
Yes, but this is today, with today's incentives. This trophy may be "tin pot" as some are calling it but back in the day the ECWC was the poor relation of Euro trophies. Time moves on and what was massive in 1980 is no big deal today. I was at the finals in 1975, 76 and 80 and I'll be at the one on Wednesday. And if we win it it will be every bit an occasion to be celebrated just as the two F A Cup wins were. In fact more so than when we beat Fulham imo.

Sad thing is somehow I don't think we're quite going to pull this one off. Big worry for me is that Gonzales character down their right side up against Cresswell. Our lot are going to have to bring their A game to the party if we want to win the thing.