West Ham Ins & Outs 2023/24

Chat about anything football related here!
FlatCapDave

West Ham Ins & Outs 2023/24

Post by FlatCapDave »

So, the season is almost finished (still a European cup to win), but let's have a look at who's out of contract and whatnot. I'm sure there'll be a ton of rumours as well.

The following are out of contract this summer. Some have an option for another year:
  • Lukasz Fabianski (1 year option)
    Angelo Ogbonna
    Aaron Cresswell
    Vladimir Coufal (club has 2 year option)
    Manuel Lanzini (club has 2 year option)
The following are entering the final year of their contracts:
  • Ben Johnson
    Declan Rice (club has 1 year option)
    Tomas Soucek (club has 1 year option)
    Pablo Fornals
    Michail Antonio (1 year option)
Be interesting to see who goes and who is kept on.

Towie

Re: West Ham Ins & Outs 2023/24

Post by Towie »

Club has taken up extensions on Coufal and Cresswell apparently.

No mention of others.
It’s not what you do it is the way that you do it.

andyginbrasil

Post by andyginbrasil »

Lukasz Fabianski (1 year option)
Angelo Ogbonna
Aaron Cresswell

Average age of 33 ........

eskimo joe

Post by eskimo joe »

andyginbrasil wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 5:03 pm Lukasz Fabianski (1 year option)
Angelo Ogbonna
Aaron Cresswell

Reminds me of the song " 19"
whufc_crest whufc_crest whufc_crest

OZHAMMER

Post by OZHAMMER »

eskimo joe wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 5:21 am
andyginbrasil wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 5:03 pm Lukasz Fabianski (1 year option)
Angelo Ogbonna
Aaron Cresswell

Reminds me of the song " 19"
Yep. Great tune.

palerider

Post by palerider »

Irrespective of what happens in Prague it's been largely awful. But think of what it would have been like without Rice.

And why, with him offski, the coming transfer window will determine if we stay in the PL or make Leicester's struggles look like a surge for Europe.

With the squad we have it's that simple. Ageing players highlighted by giving Cresswell a contract extension at a time that Oscar Pistorius could out- sprint him without his blades. We need a Rice replacement, a new keeper, left-back, centre-back (Zoomer will struggle to play more than 20 games and Oggy if he stays can only be a back-up sadly), a winger and a striker. Under another manager I'd have said keep faith with Scamacca but we know that won't happen.

I'd pull out all the stops to sign Lavia from Southampton as the new Declan. He made an awful error against the victims on Sunday but you can excuse that for carrying their midfield all season. Yet I read we're leading the chase for Ward-Prowse. Why ?.....because of his dead ball skills of course. He's average in the other parts of his game and gives a big hint as to who'll be in charge next season.

I'd take a punt on Ismaila Sarr too. We badly need pace up front. As for the rest I'll leave that to the McDullard manual of tactical genius.

Outs ? Well, take your pick. On the evidence of the last 10 months there are lots of contenders. But keep Pacman at all costs.

eskimo joe

Post by eskimo joe »

palerider wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 7:28 am Irrespective of what happens in Prague it's been largely awful. But think of what it would have been like without Rice.

And why, with him offski, the coming transfer window will determine if we stay in the PL or make Leicester's struggles look like a surge for Europe.

With the squad we have it's that simple. Ageing players highlighted by giving Cresswell a contract extension at a time that Oscar Pistorius could out- sprint him without his blades. We need a Rice replacement, a new keeper, left-back, centre-back (Zoomer will struggle to play more than 20 games and Oggy if he stays can only be a back-up sadly), a winger and a striker. Under another manager I'd have said keep faith with Scamacca but we know that won't happen.

I'd pull out all the stops to sign Lavia from Southampton as the new Declan. He made an awful error against the victims on Sunday but you can excuse that for carrying their midfield all season. Yet I read we're leading the chase for Ward-Prowse. Why ?.....because of his dead ball skills of course. He's average in the other parts of his game and gives a big hint as to who'll be in charge next season.

I'd take a punt on Ismaila Sarr too. We badly need pace up front. As for the rest I'll leave that to the McDullard manual of tactical genius.

Outs ? Well, take your pick. On the evidence of the last 10 months there are lots of contenders. But keep Pacman at all costs.
Thought the same when I heard of our interest in Ward-Prowse. Moyes the halfwit gives the impression that he is trying to plug the hole in his head lacking tactical ideas with a barrage of set piece marvels. I.E he can't think of any other way to create goals so he sticks to what he does best ( and it isn't winning ). Sit back and rely on the counter and possible set pieces. He did it well for a season and half, now he needs to restock so he can rekindle his earlier success.

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

Sorry for the unbridled pessimism,. BUT

Next season will likely be a relegation battle ending in a desecent into the Championship unless there are 3 teams worse than us. The 3 coming up are always a reasonable bet to go back dowm, although this season proved an exception, and to those can probably be added Everton, Forest, Palace, Wolves, if Lopetegui fucks off, and maybe even Brighton if European fixtures and the loss of MacAllister, Caicedo and maybe others prove to be difficult to overcome.

So we have an ageing squad that iwill no longer be able to turn to Rice for help when the going gets tough. I expect Fornals, if Moyes stays, to want out which will mean we will be left with Pacqueta to provide the creativity. And like the kid's cartoon character whose name I can't remember when he's good he's very, very good, but when he's bad----let's just say he's ineffective, If Moyes remains we will have the usual one dimensional, predictable tactical approach to games that has seen our form dip alarmingly in the past 18 months with no indication that a Plan B or Plan C is about to take the Premier League by storm. Of course Moyes might go, but what can we then expect ? I think we all know it will mean another familiar face from the merry go round of managers who have been round the block, and in some cvases are halfway back again.

I keep hoping that some of those people who keep telling us sniffily that "with the squad we've got we shouldn't be struggling" will come up with some decent explanations why they think that. I would love to be convinced I am wrong about our squad being bang average---and getting older. But I'm not holding my breath. A sad state of affairs when, with this league season only just put to bed, the hope is that there just may be 3 teams more crap than us next season to save us from the drop.
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

Clayton

Post by Clayton »

Whiskyman wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 8:42 am Sorry for the unbridled pessimism,. BUT

Next season will likely be a relegation battle ending in a desecent into the Championship unless there are 3 teams worse than us. The 3 coming up are always a reasonable bet to go back dowm, although this season proved an exception, and to those can probably be added Everton, Forest, Palace, Wolves, if Lopetegui fucks off, and maybe even Brighton if European fixtures and the loss of MacAllister, Caicedo and maybe others prove to be difficult to overcome.

So we have an ageing squad that iwill no longer be able to turn to Rice for help when the going gets tough. I expect Fornals, if Moyes stays, to want out which will mean we will be left with Pacqueta to provide the creativity. And like the kid's cartoon character whose name I can't remember when he's good he's very, very good, but when he's bad----let's just say he's ineffective, If Moyes remains we will have the usual one dimensional, predictable tactical approach to games that has seen our form dip alarmingly in the past 18 months with no indication that a Plan B or Plan C is about to take the Premier League by storm. Of course Moyes might go, but what can we then expect ? I think we all know it will mean another familiar face from the merry go round of managers who have been round the block, and in some cvases are halfway back again.

I keep hoping that some of those people who keep telling us sniffily that "with the squad we've got we shouldn't be struggling" will come up with some decent explanations why they think that. I would love to be convinced I am wrong about our squad being bang average---and getting older. But I'm not holding my breath. A sad state of affairs when, with this league season only just put to bed, the hope is that there just may be 3 teams more crap than us next season to save us from the drop.
All true imo , but think the last paragraph would cause many fans to over react in a not so pleasant manner ( in a similar way when I happened to mention to aquaintances that Noble was past his sell by date ) , personally I totally agree with your comment concerning the squad .

eskimo joe

Post by eskimo joe »

Whiskyman wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 8:42 am Sorry for the unbridled pessimism,. BUT

Well I agree with most of that, but I wouldn't go as far as to say I acted Snifley, ( I am guessing that means whining) saying that we had a squad that shouldn't be struggling as it was. Yes some were on or near their use by date but we still had players who went mostly unused in anything other than a cameo appearance. We had and have decent enough players to at least keep us at mid table.
So I would say the fault was at least 75%Moyes's . Add to that the fact that at the beginning of this season, well the end of last season actually, we had 8 or 9 players in the squad that needed replacing and some were, with a crock whom Moyes admitted he hadn't a clue how to play, a midfielder he plays OOP and a striker he can't accommodate and seemed reluctant to play anyway( prob because he knew he wouldn't suit) all coupled together with a system sussed at least 5 months earlier. So there really isn't any wonder, I guess , that we struggled.

I think Moyes purchased the players to pad out the squad because of his experience during the Europa season, but it didn't work league wise, which should tell him somethin.

Let's spend 160 odd mil to win a prize prob of less value.. Ain't a scooby what the positional payout is, but I would wager that and the monies from the CL fall short.