Wolves vs West Ham Official Match Thread

Chat about anything football related here!
Ibbyham

Wolves vs West Ham Official Match Thread

Post by Ibbyham »

This is a massive 1st 6 pointer with Everton next after this. Can we follow on our win against Brentford to here but need to do better especially in attack if we are to get anything from this game as Wolves are already fired-up with their new manager so this will be a tough one. 2 players that I don't want to see in the team is Soucek and Kehrer as both are liability and not making our team balance. Will Areola ever get a start? as he wasn't started against Brentford which baffled me. Expected Benrahma to draft in the team. Hope Coufal will be ok for this match. Zouma could start but not 100% sure yet.

Fabianski

Coufal
Dawson
Zouma
Aguerd

Paqueta
Rice

Bowen
Benrahma
Fornals

Scamacca

We need to upped our performance as a TEAM and Moyes need to get his tactics and approach better by confusing Wolves how we play rather than playing the same crap. 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3 as if Moyes put 4-3-3 then Fornals will be with Rice and Paqueta in middle with Benrahma and Bowen supporting Scamacca in attack which is I think a good way of getting aything from this game.

COYI!!!! whufc_crest whufc_crest whufc_crest
"I am always correct", but "if I am wrong", please refer to the first phrase.

BlackDiamond

Re: Wolves vs West Ham Official Match Thread

Post by BlackDiamond »

Ibbyham wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 11:54 am This is a massive 1st 6 pointer with Everton next after this. Can we follow on our win against Brentford to here but need to do better especially in attack if we are to get anything from this game as Wolves are already fired-up with their new manager so this will be a tough one. 2 players that I don't want to see in the team is Soucek and Kehrer as both are liability and not making our team balance. Will Areola ever get a start? as he wasn't started against Brentford which baffled me. Expected Benrahma to draft in the team. Hope Coufal will be ok for this match. Zouma could start but not 100% sure yet.

Fabianski

Coufal
Dawson
Zouma
Aguerd

Paqueta
Rice

Bowen
Benrahma
Fornals

Scamacca

We need to upped our performance as a TEAM and Moyes need to get his tactics and approach better by confusing Wolves how we play rather than playing the same crap. 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3 as if Moyes put 4-3-3 then Fornals will be with Rice and Paqueta in middle with Benrahma and Bowen supporting Scamacca in attack which is I think a good way of getting aything from this game.

Excellent intro Ibbs, I would change that slightly with

Areola

Ashby
Zouma
Aguerd
Johnson

Paqueta
Rice

Bowen
Benrahma
Fornals

Scamacca

I'm tempted to try and work Downes into the team but that means one of Bowen,Benrahma,Fornals would drop out. And again for this game, I would be tempted to say to special-operator Bowen, Jarrod old son,you can have this game as a rest day... you have earned it...

I imagine DM is too sophisticated to even consider this proposal and who can blame him...after all, winning is what he does

hd1

Post by hd1 »

Given he's mixed it up for the last three games, I don't think anyone can really guess what line-up he'll put out. The one thing I'll give him credit for is trying to change the way we play, the fact it's not worked is still down to him though and it needs to get sorted very quickly.

However, hold them and get an earlyish goal and the crowd will be on their backs. They have more freedom when they play away as was seen yesterday so it's up to us to turn the crowd.

Castiron

Post by Castiron »

hd1 wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 1:45 pm Given he's mixed it up for the last three games, I don't think anyone can really guess what line-up he'll put out. The one thing I'll give him credit for is trying to change the way we play, the fact it's not worked is still down to him though and it needs to get sorted very quickly.

However, hold them and get an earlyish goal and the crowd will be on their backs. They have more freedom when they play away as was seen yesterday so it's up to us to turn the crowd.
When you say change things, do you mean playing Aguerd at left back, because I haven't really seen what he's changed tbh.
Paqueta had a decent game yesterday, but as mentioned in commentary, did we buy Paqueta to be sweeping up in defence, or covering the left back position.

Ibbyham

Post by Ibbyham »

BlackDiamond wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 12:23 pm
Ibbyham wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 11:54 am This is a massive 1st 6 pointer with Everton next after this. Can we follow on our win against Brentford to here but need to do better especially in attack if we are to get anything from this game as Wolves are already fired-up with their new manager so this will be a tough one. 2 players that I don't want to see in the team is Soucek and Kehrer as both are liability and not making our team balance. Will Areola ever get a start? as he wasn't started against Brentford which baffled me. Expected Benrahma to draft in the team. Hope Coufal will be ok for this match. Zouma could start but not 100% sure yet.

Fabianski

Coufal
Dawson
Zouma
Aguerd

Paqueta
Rice

Bowen
Benrahma
Fornals

Scamacca

Excellent intro Ibbs, I would change that slightly with

Areola

Ashby
Zouma
Aguerd
Johnson

Paqueta
Rice

Bowen
Benrahma
Fornals

Scamacca

I'm tempted to try and work Downes into the team but that means one of Bowen,Benrahma,Fornals would drop out. And again for this game, I would be tempted to say to special-operator Bowen, Jarrod old son,you can have this game as a rest day... you have earned it...

I imagine DM is too sophisticated to even consider this proposal and who can blame him...after all, winning is what he does
Not a bad line-up as I prefer Areola to Fabianski and not sure about Ben Johnson as he is a good defender but lack quality in crossing the ball to the attacker like Coufal does.
"I am always correct", but "if I am wrong", please refer to the first phrase.

hd1

Post by hd1 »

Castiron wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 1:55 pm
hd1 wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 1:45 pm Given he's mixed it up for the last three games, I don't think anyone can really guess what line-up he'll put out. The one thing I'll give him credit for is trying to change the way we play, the fact it's not worked is still down to him though and it needs to get sorted very quickly.

When you say change things, do you mean playing Aguerd at left back, because I haven't really seen what he's changed tbh.
Paqueta had a decent game yesterday, but as mentioned in commentary, did we buy Paqueta to be sweeping up in defence, or covering the left back position.
We played 3 CB's yesterday. Aguerd played on the left of them so of course he will cover that area at times. Johnson and Emerson played as wing backs.

Paqueta has been played higher and it didn't work, and if you recall Moyes said he would try him playing deeper which he did.

So yes, he has changed things in each game (not particularly successfully as mentioned)

Castiron

Post by Castiron »

hd1 wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 2:13 pm
Castiron wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 1:55 pm
We played 3 CB's yesterday. Aguerd played on the left of them so of course he will cover that area at times. Johnson and Emerson played as wing backs.

Paqueta has been played higher and it didn't work, and if you recall Moyes said he would try him playing deeper which he did.

So yes, he has changed things in each game (not particularly successfully as mentioned)
But we've played with Emerson as a wing back before and it didn't work.
Yesterday, especially in the first half, we played on the edge of our box, allowing Brentford to come at us. We were slow in possession. We created almost next to nothing, indeed I think we had one shot on target all game.
Antonio and Soucek performing to the level that they've been at for months.
If that is change then fair enough.

hd1

Post by hd1 »

Castiron wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 2:21 pm
hd1 wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 2:13 pm

Yesterday, especially in the first half, we played on the edge of our box, allowing Brentford to come at us. We were slow in possession. We created almost next to nothing, indeed I think we had one shot on target all game.
So we've tried Emerson as wingback before, therefore it is not a change? Moyes has consistently chosen to play Cresswell as part of a back 4 so whilst we may have played Emerson as a wingback before, this is still a change to what is 'the norm'. That's what everyone has been asking him to do, but like I said it's not worked particularly well so far.

If you don't consider this a change, both in players and formation, what would you consider a change to be?

andyginbrasil

Post by andyginbrasil »

hd1 wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 8:14 pm
Castiron wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 2:21 pm
So we've tried Emerson as wingback before, therefore it is not a change? Moyes has consistently chosen to play Cresswell as part of a back 4 so whilst we may have played Emerson as a wingback before, this is still a change to what is 'the norm'. That's what everyone has been asking him to do, but like I said it's not worked particularly well so far.

If you don't consider this a change, both in players and formation, what would you consider a change to be?
Maybe start with a new manager that would be a good starting point.....

palerider

Post by palerider »

andyginbrasil wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 8:49 pm
hd1 wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 8:14 pm

Maybe start with a new manager that would be a good starting point.....
I've heard it said that McDullard's shoulder to cry on in the boardroom was David Gold. And that now that he's gone the remaining members won't be as forgiving. And further than that, a defeat tomorrow and he's sacked.

Although who I got it from has been right before, (he knew Pardew was going), I'm not so sure. Corboran at WBA is lined up for the summer. He may well get them into the play-offs, they're the form team, but it's almost a given that Burnley and the Blunts will go up automatically.

So why not go for him now ? I don't know his playing philosophy but it must be better than the Scotch twat's.

Sadly I think tomorrow will be a plucky one goal defeat, McDullard spouting out the usual round of excuses, maybe even saying it was the wrong type of rain, not forgetting of course blaming Benny, and declaring how well we played but then there'll be the usual silence from the dwarf while the media link us to a vast array of talent that have as much chance of signing for us to improve the team than Prince Harry appearing live on TV apologising profusely for all of the garbage he's uttered and announcing he's divorcing the American bitch.