Well now David.

Chat about anything football related here!
Brookbonds73

What we're seeing now.

Post by Brookbonds73 »

I'm afraid, is what Everton fans witnessed during his last few seasons at Goodison. So much so in fact that at the time of his eventual departure to Man Utd, the majority of Evertonians couldn't wait for him to leave.
The football they played had become stale, cumbersome and downright boring towards the end of his reign. Whilst they accepted the fact that Moyes had turned their side in to a regular top 10 team dabbling in and out of Europe, and providing them with a stable workmanlike side, the football, the tactics etc had become truly dreadful to watch. The general consensus was "thanks Dave, but ffs can you please leave now"
If his good mate Alex Ferguson hadn't put in a word for him in getting the Man United job, most doubted whether or not he would have gotten anywhere near old Trafford. But such was Ferguson's power, he did get the job and the rest is history.
Fast forward to us and sadly it is where we find ourselves today, it truly is a carbon copy of his days on Merseyside.
The main difference is we have spent money on some very good players, players who have plied their trade elsewhere and expect to play in their natural positions when turning out in our colours, not to be messed around with outdated square pegs in round hole scenarios. It makes them look bad and us as a team look as though we've just been slung together within the last few days.
Moyes is a decent manager, a top 10 manager, but that is all, and whilst he has carried out a marvelous job and turned us round from being perennial relegation fodder in to a top half side, giving us some glorious European nights in the process, the cracks are beginning to appear and have been doing so for quite some time.
I personally don't want us to become a Chelsea type club whereby sacking a manager comes as natural as breathing, but the truth is our manager has taken us as far as he can and we have to change in order to progress.
We have a very good squad, probably the best squad we've ever had, we just need a new man to take us to a new level.
Cheers Moyes for what you've done and I personally wish you well in the future, but you're time has passed.
Love a cup of Rosey I do.

JayK

Re: What we're seeing now.

Post by JayK »

Well said BB. And without a fuck or a cunt to be found 😃
COYI!!!

HamstasParadise

Post by HamstasParadise »

Ideally there will be an uptick in form/results and the new players will gel and we will be less predictable in our set up and style. I’d rather not have a change of manager as I quite like the work ethic and team spirit he and his team instils.

The problem with the belief we’ve gone as far as we can with a manager is “Ok, who then?” How far can anyone take us quickly and permanently? I think this latest splurge of spending will not be repeated for a while, it must have created considerable debt. It needs to be allowed a bit more time to work.

The “proven world class manager with trophies to his name” certainly didn’t work last time, we were too easy to beat.

It’s very competitive in the space below the usual top six, with numerous clubs thinking they should be in the chase for Europa League. We are one of many.

I agree that a run at top 6 every now and then is probably Moyes ceiling, but it is easy to get in a mess chopping and changing. Too many managers are not allowed to ride out the tough spells for long enough, the chop comes too quickly. (Mind you the knives are always out for players after a few ordinary weeks too).

I’d be happy with a change right now if success is guaranteed and long lived. But I don’t think it can be certain that it would be better rather than worse. So who would we gamble on?
“Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.” (Mark Twain.)

HamstasParadise

JayK wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 1:19 pm Well said BB. And without a fuck or a cunt to be found 😃
👍😄A far more pithy version of what I wrote. I must learn the art of précis.
“Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.” (Mark Twain.)

palerider

Post by palerider »

HamstasParadise wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 1:22 pm Ideally there will be an uptick in form/results and the new players will gel and we will be less predictable in our set up and style. I’d rather not have a change of manager as I quite like the work ethic and team spirit he and his team instils.

The problem with the belief we’ve gone as far as we can with a manager is “Ok, who then?” How far can anyone take us quickly and permanently? I think this latest splurge of spending will not be repeated for a while, it must have created considerable debt. It needs to be allowed a bit more time to work.

The “proven world class manager with trophies to his name” certainly didn’t work last time, we were too easy to beat.

It’s very competitive in the space below the usual top six, with numerous clubs thinking they should be in the chase for Europa League. We are one of many.

I agree that a run at top 6 every now and then is probably Moyes ceiling, but it is easy to get in a mess chopping and changing. Too many managers are not allowed to ride out the tough spells for long enough, the chop comes too quickly. (Mind you the knives are always out for players after a few ordinary weeks too).

I’d be happy with a change right now if success is guaranteed and long lived. But I don’t think it can be certain that it would be better rather than worse. So who would we gamble on?
Make Brentford an offer they can't refuse for Thomas Frank.

HamstasParadise

palerider wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 1:30 pm

Make Brentford an offer they can't refuse for Thomas Frank.
A good call…..

JayK

Post by JayK »

HamstasParadise wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 1:23 pm
JayK wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 1:19 pm Well said BB. And without a fuck or a cunt to be found 😃
👍😄A far more pithy version of what I wrote. I must learn the art of précis.
Yours was good too :D
COYI!!!

palerider

Post by palerider »

Brookbonds73 wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 12:35 pm I'm afraid, is what Everton fans witnessed during his last few seasons at Goodison. So much so in fact that at the time of his eventual departure to Man Utd, the majority of Evertonians couldn't wait for him to leave.
The football they played had become stale, cumbersome and downright boring towards the end of his reign. Whilst they accepted the fact that Moyes had turned their side in to a regular top 10 team dabbling in and out of Europe, and providing them with a stable workmanlike side, the football, the tactics etc had become truly dreadful to watch. The general consensus was "thanks Dave, but ffs can you please leave now"
If his good mate Alex Ferguson hadn't put in a word for him in getting the Man United job, most doubted whether or not he would have gotten anywhere near old Trafford. But such was Ferguson's power, he did get the job and the rest is history.
Fast forward to us and sadly it is where we find ourselves today, it truly is a carbon copy of his days on Merseyside.
The main difference is we have spent money on some very good players, players who have plied their trade elsewhere and expect to play in their natural positions when turning out in our colours, not to be messed around with outdated square pegs in round hole scenarios. It makes them look bad and us as a team look as though we've just been slung together within the last few days.
Moyes is a decent manager, a top 10 manager, but that is all, and whilst he has carried out a marvelous job and turned us round from being perennial relegation fodder in to a top half side, giving us some glorious European nights in the process, the cracks are beginning to appear and have been doing so for quite some time.
I personally don't want us to become a Chelsea type club whereby sacking a manager comes as natural as breathing, but the truth is our manager has taken us as far as he can and we have to change in order to progress.
We have a very good squad, probably the best squad we've ever had, we just need a new man to take us to a new level.
Cheers Moyes for what you've done and I personally wish you well in the future, but you're time has passed.
A good read my learned friend. I forgot your extended family had a penchant for shell suits and drive-by shootings. You clearly know what you're talking about.

Moyes is a good egg, let me be clear on that. The night he came over to Langport, pissed up and agressive, offering people out in the Black Swan came after that horror show at the Kiddy fiddlers so can be excused. I do it all the time there if they haven't got Butcombe on.

But his rigid, blinkered ways can't be excused. As Pale Senior explained to me back in 1923, Syd King royally fucked up in the White Horse final by not utilising gegenpress. 'Pale' he said. 'You can't teach an old dinosaur new tricks'. And sadly that's now the case with the lemur.

He's served us well. I'm not for one moment saying he should be taken out to a remote corner of Rush Green and dispatched humanely like I do when one of the Somalis drops from exhaustion on Pale Farm. No. He should be able to retire in comfort at the club caravan in Jaywick with a complimentary bottle of Auld McFelcher single malt every week.

Like all good things, they come to an end. Di Canio must come in to save us pronto.

It will not be boring.

Ibbyham

Post by Ibbyham »

Moyes is not the only manager when club get stale as 80% of the manager only last 2 seasons as they runs out of ideas compared to 1970s.

There are only a few managers that kept on going which are Pep Guardiola, Jurgen Klopp, and couple of coeahes like Bayern Munich for exampble.
"I am always correct", but "if I am wrong", please refer to the first phrase.

Clayton

Post by Clayton »

HamstasParadise wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 1:22 pm Ideally there will be an uptick in form/results and the new players will gel and we will be less predictable in our set up and style. I’d rather not have a change of manager as I quite like the work ethic and team spirit he and his team instils.

That “proven world class manager with trophies to his name” certainly didn’t work last time, we were too easy to beat , and the reason being he was well past his sell by date , maybe the owners really thought they were onto a winner when they brought Death back from China , but he was a poor image of his former self .
With our expenditure and fan base now we shouldn't be just one of many competing for that spot just outside of the top six we should be a dead cert , even competing for that spot in 6th .
Would I want a change of management ? , of cause I would , didn't want the bug-eyed jock in the first place , to many memories of his stint at Everton . There is no denying he got the squad fit and punching above their weight , but his tactics are one dimensional , confusing and uninspiring and it appears that the opposition have all caught on to how we setup every week .
He has been backed by the owners and brought in some tremendous talent , yet he continues in the same old way , not knowing how to get the best from what he has at his disposal now .
Problem is who could we get and who would want the job , to build in all fairness on what Moyes has started , thing if it ain't fixed soon it could all fall apart and we would be back where we were , a middle of the pack club at times fighting it out in the relegation zone .