Well now David.

Chat about anything football related here!
Whiskyman

Re: POLL: If Moyes would walk or get the sack who would you want to take over?

Post by Whiskyman »

Ibbyham wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 12:32 pm My 5 wishlist for manager West Ham:

1. Sir Alex Ferguson
2. Johnnier Jackson (from AFC Wimbledon)
3. Neal Ardley (Solihull manager)
4. Mark Robinson
5. Prince Harry

Hope this help. 8-)
It certainly does. Probably more realistic than some of the wish lists that will no doubt appear over the forthcoming months. ;)
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

Whiskyman

Re: What we're seeing now.

Post by Whiskyman »

Brookbonds73 wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 12:35 pm .
We have a very good squad, probably the best squad we've ever had, we just need a new man to take us to a new level.
Bloody good post that. Haven't copied it all in because there's only one bit I'd disagree with. I question whether the squad is all that tbh. I tend to look at the top 5 or 6 and ask how many of our lot would get into their lot. And tbh I don't see too many. It's early days for the very new boys but on the evidence so far which is admittedly very limited I would say only Areola would be in with a shout of getting a regular squad place in any of them. Maybe others will develop into superstars for us in due course but I'm making that comment on the basis of today's evidence.

Of the players Moyes himself has brought to the club apart from Areola I only see Bowen, last season's model not this year's, being of any interest to the top 6, at least in the sense of seriously challenging for a regular spot in the team. I'm certainly not writing off the likes of Paqueta, Scammaca, Kehrer, and of course Aguerd, because they need time to adjust. Hopefully they will prove to be good acquisitions but, for me, jury's out.

We all know who the other player is who would be a shoe in for any of the top 6 but in my book that's 3 players only who are , at this moment in time, genuine top 6 standard. That said Moyes should certainly be judged on league placing compared with money spent so whether he's spent wisely on the likes of Paqueta, Scamacca and Aguerd remains to be seen and I'm sure the board are looking very closely, and possibly nervously, at the league table.

I completely agree with your view that Moyes has taken us as far as he is able. Where I think we differ is that I think as a club West Ham is as far, certainly in it's present incarnation, as high up the food chain as it's ever going to be. Maybe one day we will attract the attention of a nation state and become the next PSG or Manchester City but it will take a lot more than one transfer window to assemble a squad capable of a sustained annual challenge for the top places.

andyginbrasil

Post by andyginbrasil »

Just a thought..... aren't you looking for a new challenge Whisky

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

andyginbrasil wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 4:38 pm Just a thought..... aren't you looking for a new challenge Whisky
I am very proud of my trophy count with my kids over the years my good man. I wouldn't want anything to sully that reputation ?

Is Felipe Scolari still doing the rounds in your part of the world? Maybe he could use a few extra million reals to pad out his pension pot. ;)

andyginbrasil

Post by andyginbrasil »

Whiskyman wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 4:47 pm
andyginbrasil wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 4:38 pm Just a thought..... aren't you looking for a new challenge Whisky
I am very proud of my trophy count with my kids over the years my good man. I wouldn't want anything to sully that reputation ?

Is Felipe Scolari still doing the rounds in your part of the world? Maybe he could use a few extra million reals to pad out his pension pot. ;)
He is in deed... actually managing my club here in Paraná, Athletico Paranaense who are sitting in 6th a very impressive feat for the club.
30 clubs in 40 years......so very shortly he will be looking for a new job. Usually only stays in one place for 15 months.
But in my opinion for what it's worth doesn't fit into our up and coming young manager slot....more like the Mr Dead slot at 73 years old

jameskel

Post by jameskel »

BFS
Covid in the Boardroom

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

andyginbrasil wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 5:03 pm
Whiskyman wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 4:47 pm

He is in deed... actually managing my club here in Paraná, Athletico Paranaense who are sitting in 6th a very impressive feat for the club.
30 clubs in 40 years......so very shortly he will be looking for a new job. Usually only stays in one place for 15 months.
But in my opinion for what it's worth doesn't fit into our up and coming young manager slot....more like the Mr Dead slot at 73 years old
So you wouldn't fancy a dream team of Scolari with Twitchy as his Triffic Director of Football then ? Very ageist if I may say so.
Last edited by Whiskyman on Fri Sep 16, 2022 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eskimo joe

Post by eskimo joe »

Marco Silva , he was responsible for buying Vlasic at Everton. Can't see him as an improvement l, though his footy might be better. Not really seen his teams play other than Neverton, So would opt out on him

Only other option is Pinocchio.
whufc_crest whufc_crest whufc_crest

eskimo joe

Post by eskimo joe »

Whiskyman wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 4:32 pm
We have a very good squad, probably the best squad we've ever had, we just need a new man to take us to a new level.
Bloody good post that. Haven't copied it all in because there's only one bit I'd disagree with. I question whether the squad is all that tbh. I tend to look at the top 5 or 6 and ask how many of our lot would get into their lot. And tbh I don't see too many. It's early days for the very new boys but on the evidence so far which is admittedly very limited I would say only Areola would be in with a shout of getting a regular squad place in any of them. Maybe others will develop into superstars for us in due course but I'm making that comment on the basis of today's evidence.

Of the players Moyes himself has brought to the club apart from Areola I only see Bowen, last season's model not this year's, being of any interest to the top 6, at least in the sense of seriously challenging for a regular spot in the team. I'm certainly not writing off the likes of Paqueta, Scammaca, Kehrer, and of course Aguerd, because they need time to adjust. Hopefully they will prove to be good acquisitions but, for me, jury's out.

We all know who the other player is who would be a shoe in for any of the top 6 but in my book that's 3 players only who are , at this moment in time, genuine top 6 standard. That said Moyes should certainly be judged on league placing compared with money spent so whether he's spent wisely on the likes of Paqueta, Scamacca and Aguerd remains to be seen and I'm sure the board are looking very closely, and possibly nervously, at the league table.

I completely agree with your view that Moyes has taken us as far as he is able. Where I think we differ is that I think as a club West Ham is as far, certainly in it's present incarnation, as high up the food chain as it's ever going to be. Maybe one day we will attract the attention of a nation state and become the next PSG or Manchester City but it will take a lot more than one transfer window to assemble a squad capable of a sustained annual challenge for the top places.
TBH, never ever held the thought we would any time soon, or even during my lifetime, that we would be capable of becoming a top 4 club.

However, I do feel, and admittedly more recent, that we could become a club challenging for a top six spot, but under the circumstances we are now going through I feel all the work is slowly being undone. And that for me is the real irk.
whufc_crest whufc_crest whufc_crest

Brookbonds73

Post by Brookbonds73 »

Whiskyman wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 4:32 pm

Indeed it will take several more windows of the previous one's ilk to make us in to a challenging outfit.
And for that we'll probably need a nation state like you say to help us.
But in the meantime under a new man at the helm, I see no reason why we couldn't cement regular top six finishes. Top four may well be a stretch too far, but fifth or sixth shouldn't be beyond us.
I fear under Moyes we'll gradually start to drop down places every year, until such time the honeymoon period will well and truly be over, if it isn't already.
That would be a shame, considering what we've become as to what we were.
We simply have to act soon, or the good work will quickly unravel.
Love a cup of Rosey I do.