Internationals

Chat about anything football related here!
Rick_Deckard

Re: Internationals

Post by Rick_Deckard »

nearly fell over laughing , Channel 4 commentator said Gareth Southgate needs to find some consistency. ...
Five defeats in a row , no goals scored in open play for almost 500 minutes! If thats not consistency then I don't know what is

tassiehammer

Post by tassiehammer »

Dwayne Pipes wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:27 am
tassiehammer wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:05 am If Southgate and Moyes swapped jobs would we notice the difference?
As I said earlier both have Nevin at their side
Looks the part with his earpiece and pad but seems to know the square root of fuck all
Apparently a box ticking exercise by the FA to get more BAME into the England set up got him the gig

Southgate and Moyes are relics in the modern game.
Both are so shit scared of losing that they don't know how to win.
Does that make sense? :D
Just like my dreams they fade and die.
But on the positive side..............

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

Cards on the table I couldn't really give a flying one about England but I am always amazed with the amount of flak Southgate gets given that he is the second most successful England manager (yes, I know, low bar and all that) ever. England have never reached a world cup final apart from the time they won it but Southgate was in charge the last time England reached the semis. So not too shabby in that competition. As for the Euros England had never reached the final of them until they lost to Italy, on penalties, last time round. So again it was, in it's way, a first even though it ended in failure.

The pundits witter on about "golden generations" and so forth but seem to conveniently forget other countries also have their "golden generations". But at the end of the day we come back to one basic thing imo. I don't see a whole line of up and coming English coaches lining up to take over if and when Southgate gets the elbow. And, let's be honest, if international football is to have any meaning surely a country that claims to be a leading football nation should be able to produce a coach for it's national team without having to employ a flavour of the month Swede or Italian.

A bit like Moyes at West Ham I guess. Southgate certainly isn't in the same category as many of the leading countries national coaches but being brutally frank now that Potter has got himself the gig at Chelsea I don;t see too many English coaches who might want to have a go at taking on the poisoned chalice. Although of course Sean Dyche may be looking for a job., which would at least stop him taking the reins at our gaff if the board pull the trigger on Moyes.
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

BlackDiamond

Post by BlackDiamond »

Whiskyman wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:22 am Cards on the table I couldn't really give a flying one about England but I am always amazed with the amount of flak Southgate gets given that he is the second most successful England manager (yes, I know, low bar and all that) ever. England have never reached a world cup final apart from the time they won it but Southgate was in charge the last time England reached the semis. So not too shabby in that competition. As for the Euros England had never reached the final of them until they lost to Italy, on penalties, last time round. So again it was, in it's way, a first even though it ended in failure.

The pundits witter on about "golden generations" and so forth but seem to conveniently forget other countries also have their "golden generations". But at the end of the day we come back to one basic thing imo. I don't see a whole line of up and coming English coaches lining up to take over if and when Southgate gets the elbow. And, let's be honest, if international football is to have any meaning surely a country that claims to be a leading football nation should be able to produce a coach for it's national team without having to employ a flavour of the month Swede or Italian.

A bit like Moyes at West Ham I guess. Southgate certainly isn't in the same category as many of the leading countries national coaches but being brutally frank now that Potter has got himself the gig at Chelsea I don;t see too many English coaches who might want to have a go at taking on the poisoned chalice. Although of course Sean Dyche may be looking for a job., which would at least stop him taking the reins at our gaff if the board pull the trigger on Moyes.
The reason GS gets flack is because of what he does NOW and his stubborness in selection criteria and tactics, which don't work and are not working..

The apologists that seek to reinforce his status of best England manager since Alf Ramsey are basically being daft. Of course tournament progress is one marker but what you do in those tournaments is the level you are judged on.

In the last world cup England progressed to the semi final and then lost to the first quality opposition they met- Croatia. Basically they had a very fortunate sequence of easy fixtures. luck of the draw.

The last Euro's they had the advantage of being at home and lost in the final when Mancini made second half tactical changes. Anyone who watched the game would have seen that England lost the inititiative and were unable to counter the Italian's tactics. Losing on penalties is not a crime but the way they were lost was worrying.

The current situation finds a national team in poor form, reflected by possession stats,results and goals scored. The manager increasingly wants to use
the same players,even if some of those players are out of form or even not being selected for their clubs.

Loyalty is a good trait but blind loyalty when it's not being rewarded is a weakness. And a leader is not really a leader, if they are indecisive or weak.
And once you are perceived as being weak the gig is up.

JayK

Post by JayK »

BlackDiamond wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:01 am
Whiskyman wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:22 am Cards on the table I couldn't really give a flying one about England but I am always amazed with the amount of flak Southgate gets given that he is the second most successful England manager (yes, I know, low bar and all that) ever. England have never reached a world cup final apart from the time they won it but Southgate was in charge the last time England reached the semis. So not too shabby in that competition. As for the Euros England had never reached the final of them until they lost to Italy, on penalties, last time round. So again it was, in it's way, a first even though it ended in failure.

The reason GS gets flack is because of what he does NOW and his stubborness in selection criteria and tactics, which don't work and are not working..

The apologists that seek to reinforce his status of best England manager since Alf Ramsey are basically being daft. Of course tournament progress is one marker but what you do in those tournaments is the level you are judged on.

In the last world cup England progressed to the semi final and then lost to the first quality opposition they met- Croatia. Basically they had a very fortunate sequence of easy fixtures. luck of the draw.

The last Euro's they had the advantage of being at home and lost in the final when Mancini made second half tactical changes. Anyone who watched the game would have seen that England lost the inititiative and were unable to counter the Italian's tactics. Losing on penalties is not a crime but the way they were lost was worrying.

The current situation finds a national team in poor form, reflected by possession stats,results and goals scored. The manager increasingly wants to use
the same players,even if some of those players are out of form or even not being selected for their clubs.

Loyalty is a good trait but blind loyalty when it's not being rewarded is a weakness. And a leader is not really a leader, if they are indecisive or weak.
goodpost:) And that counts for both club and country. Managers separated at birth.
COYI!!!

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

BlackDiamond wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:01 am

Now now. I didn't say Southgate was the BEST manager since Ramsey, which is a subjective thing anyway,, I said he was the most SUCCESSFUL, which based on the record books is a matter of fact.

Of course the quality of opposition is relevant and in tournaments the part of the draw a team is in can be a big help. But success in tournaments is fundamentally the way any international manager will be judged because, quite simply, there is no other criteria to jusge them by. You can, after all, only beat the teams put in front of you.. And ultimately Southgate will be judged on how England perform in Qatar..
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

Rick_Deckard

Post by Rick_Deckard »

Maybe if he gave less prominence to woke crap like kneeling and airy fairy armbands and concentrated 150% on the football he might get less flak...just a thought

Dwayne Pipes

Post by Dwayne Pipes »

Rick_Deckard wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 2:55 pm Maybe if he gave less prominence to woke crap like kneeling and airy fairy armbands and concentrated 150% on the football he might get less flak...just a thought
Quite.
Always comes across a right cunt to me ,couple of years he will transition into a fucking bird I reckon.

Towie

Post by Towie »

Dwayne Pipes wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 3:50 pm
Rick_Deckard wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 2:55 pm Maybe if he gave less prominence to woke crap like kneeling and airy fairy armbands and concentrated 150% on the football he might get less flak...just a thought
Quite.
Always comes across a right cunt to me ,couple of years he will transition into a fucking bird I reckon.
Man that will be one ugly bird.
It’s not what you do it is the way that you do it.

Dwayne Pipes

Post by Dwayne Pipes »

Towie wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 4:01 pm
Dwayne Pipes wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 3:50 pm
Quite.
Man that will be one ugly bird.
😁 yeah ,it could join the other munters giving their “expert”
Opinions on the men’s game.