Summer transfer window thread (What ins and outs do you want to see?)

Chat about anything football related here!
JayK

Re: Summer transfer window thread (What ins and outs do you want to see?)

Post by JayK »

andyginbrasil wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 2:10 pm
JayK wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 12:41 pm

If we’re bringing in to replace the deadwood we’ll still have that small squad we keep moaning about
Spot on Jay .

We already have one of the smallest squads in the league.
Before we get rid of the dead wood we have to replace those who are leaving or out of contract, Areola, Kral will be returning to their mother clubs, Yarmolenko, Frederick's, Ogbonna, Flappy and David Martin all out of contract, and Noble retiring, that depending on renewing any contracts for the above ( I would stick with Flappy and Ogbonna) that reduces our already thin squad by 8 players... :o

Then there is the small problem of Arthur who really needs to be moved out.

There is also the problem of other teams targeting our better players such as Rice and Bowen who could well be tempted to move on, if rumours are correct, then Soucek is also wanted by various clubs.

Now....what about the players who want more playing time, Randolph has only played 5 PL games in 3 years....Diop surely should be playing more .....even Vlasic ...these 3 could also force a move to get playing time elsewhere....I also worry about Johnson who was unable to agree a new contract so the club activated their extension clause that has left Johnson really pissed off........and don't get me started on the other youngsters..

I have a horrible feeling that our squad could be decimated this summer and will need a huge investment just to replace those leaving, and that does not include upgrading the players that are staying such as Antonio and Cresswell.

The board and the manager have a massive task this window, the squad needs to be replenished to a minimum of 26 and without doubt upgrading on what we have already got. A huge investment is required.

Are dithering Dave and the tightfisted board going to step up this window.... probably not
I can’t see them splashing that much cash to completely overhaul the squad Andy. I can’t even see them splashing much to replace just those out of contract.
The board are expected to sell next March if rumours are true so why would they spunk millions before that?

Yeah there’s gonna be a bunch of freebies out there on offer too but then we have the questions of “are they the right players with the right character” and “will our board even be able to get many deals over the line”, given they like to argue over a tenner and only start 2 days before the window closes?

Personally I think Fab and Oggy will sign extended contracts and Rice and Bowen will stay for this next season. Lots need replacing or upgrading though, that’s for sure. Wonder if they’ve even started looking yet
COYI!!!

JayK

Post by JayK »

palerider wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 2:22 pm
JayK wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 2:18 pm

Leeds had a few kids playing that day if I’m not mistaken. Possibly coulda helped Vlasic look good. The squad seem to think he’s a player though so doubt he’ll be moved on. Maybe just needs more frequent game time, more time to gel or to be played in his more familiar role. Either that or more masks
Yep.

I think loaning good players who aren't in another team's squad is the way forward.

N'Golo Kante in a Vlasic mask......Although a little stirring in the old grey matter suggests that may be a tad flawed.
Some of the refs are so blind, they wouldn’t notice anyway 😆
COYI!!!

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

BlackDiamond wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 11:48 am
Whiskyman wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 11:35 am

Isn't that now supposed to be Rob Newman's job and not the board ? Which hopefully means no more Sullivan specials like Joe Hart and Andy Carroll rolling up. Not to mention Benni McCarthy in case anyone has forgotten him.
Could we put Rob Newman into the same category of Ralph Rangnick: sombody who arrives with a strong reputation and then does basically nothing to justify it. And just to start you off - I think we can

DM will sign his "type" of players and because he has performed so competently, every body can look forward to an "eyebrow" moment this summer.
No idea. Proof of the pudding and all that. But I think if we're talking about Sullivan's transfer dealings never mind Ralf Rangnick, I think I would have more confidence in Ralph Wiggum than the dwarf.

Apologies if you're not a fan of The Simpsons.
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

terrya1965 wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 12:31 pm
Whiskyman wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 11:35 am

Isn't that now supposed to be Rob Newman's job and not the board ? Which hopefully means no more Sullivan specials like Joe Hart and Andy Carroll rolling up. Not to mention Benni McCarthy in case anyone has forgotten him.
I hope so mate,but has Pale says,I wouldn't hold your breath.

If we could bring in 3 or 4 a d get rid of a bit of dead wood,we could have a really decent side,that may just take us a step further ahead of where we are now.
I do not expect a spending spree but I do expect a few new faces to appear. Because they have to to maintain the numbers in the squad. We know Noble is retiring and in all probability Kral will return to Moscow, Fredericks and Yarmolenko will leave when their contracts run out and if we don't exercise the option on Areola he'll need replacing as well. I'm not overly concerned about Randolph and Martin disappeaing over the horizon because surely there must be a kid coming through good enough for the 3rd keeper role.

But that's a minimum of 4 newbies needed, 5 if Areola goes, just to keep up the numbers so to speak.
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

Brookbonds73

Post by Brookbonds73 »

palerider wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 2:26 pm
Brookbonds73 wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 2:19 pm

The last paragraph sums it up for me Andy.
If we should replicate our league position next season then that'll be just dandy for them, but they'll be just as tight in the windows as ever.
I never expect anything from these cunts and invariably I'm never disappointed.
How dare you sir !

If it wasn't for them we'd be playing East Wittering Academicals in the West Sussex Amputee League Division 3, and fighting relegation to boot, excuse the pun, at the weekend, not Pep's galacticos.

Bigger picture n'all that.......
A momentary lapse my dear friend.
You are of course correct, and no doubt the free weekends at the caravan sights in moss side and croxteth will provide ample incentives to attract the world class players we need.
I've come all undone at the thought of us kicking off our European campaign away to the Moldovan cup winners in June.
Love a cup of Rosey I do.

BlackDiamond

Post by BlackDiamond »

Whiskyman wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 2:39 pm

If we could bring in 3 or 4 a d get rid of a bit of dead wood,we could have a really decent side,that may just take us a step further ahead of where we are now.
I do not expect a spending spree but I do expect a few new faces to appear. Because they have to to maintain the numbers in the squad. We know Noble is retiring and in all probability Kral will return to Moscow, Fredericks and Yarmolenko will leave when their contracts run out and if we don't exercise the option on Areola he'll need replacing as well. I'm not overly concerned about Randolph and Martin disappeaing over the horizon because surely there must be a kid coming through good enough for the 3rd keeper role.

But that's a minimum of 4 newbies needed, 5 if Areola goes, just to keep up the numbers so to speak.
They will have to spend at least £90M. Ollie Watson or comparable plus the winger from 'Ull. That's about 68.

Then you need a centre mid for Noble and Kral. Which suggests cashing in on Vlasic.

I accept you could get Jesse Lingard on a free and sell Soucek which leaves finding a GK,LB and CB. I guess they could sell Diop and use those funds and Areola would only cost 12 plus wages,but you could use Yarmolenko's tariff.

Probably get a left back for 20,add two loans and another on a free ( Jesse plus one) and we keep to our £90M budget,unless I've double-counted which I haven't.

So that's one scenario where the club outlay is ticking-over money and the squad gets an uplift without serious surgery.

eskimo joe

Post by eskimo joe »

Whiskyman wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 2:39 pm

Striker, CB, Noble, Kral ( He don't want to stay anyway, and who can blame him,),
Fredricks, Yarmalenko, And a GK if they don't keep Areola, Masuaku. Quite a few, take out a CB if you want to rely on Ogbonna staying fit all season, which for the past two he has been out long term.

I'm being greedy, should really put in a wish for 18, that way I might get half.
whufc_crest whufc_crest whufc_crest

Pipe smurf

Post by Pipe smurf »

Areola&?

Coufal/Johnson - Dawson/Diop - Zouma/Ogbonna - ?/Cresswell

Rice/? - Soucek/?

Bowen/Yarmolenko - Fornals/Lanzini - Potter&Benrahma

?/Antonio

Yarmolenko is a good impact sub so should get another year imo, humanitarian reasons too. (Who are we gonna sign who is better and who is happy to be Bowen's second choice :?: )

That makes it 2 signings needed for the first eleven, a left back and a striker (for how long have we been banging on about these positions ffs)

Then the next priority is decent cover for Rice and Soucek is badly needed, Soucek has run himself to the ground this season and needs back up/competition

I would also like a decent sum used on boosting the creativity of the side by someone like Fabio Vieira or Houssem Aouar

A busy summer ahead

whufc_crest

BlackDiamond

Post by BlackDiamond »

Pipe smurf wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 3:51 pm Areola&?

Coufal/Johnson - Dawson/Diop - Zouma/Ogbonna - ?/Cresswell

Rice/? - Soucek/?

Bowen/Yarmolenko - Fornals/Lanzini - Potter&Benrahma

?/Antonio

Yarmolenko is a good impact sub so should get another year imo, humanitarian reasons too. (Who are we gonna sign who is better and who is happy to be Bowen's second choice :?: )

That makes it 2 signings needed for the first eleven, a left back and a striker (for how long have we been banging on about these positions ffs)

Then the next priority is decent cover for Rice and Soucek is badly needed, Soucek has run himself to the ground this season and needs back up/competition

I would also like a decent sum used on boosting the creativity of the side by someone like Fabio Vieira or Houssem Aouar

A busy summer ahead

whufc_crest
What would you know - you just posted Moyes had been sacked before NM removed it

Pipe smurf

Post by Pipe smurf »

I know it was stupid but Graham POTTER would be a solid choice if Moyes leaves

I'm happy with Moyes and think he deserves a chance to build on the past 2 years

whufc_crest whufc_crest