Summer transfer window thread (What ins and outs do you want to see?)

Chat about anything football related here!
Pipe smurf

Re: Summer transfer window thread (What ins and outs do you want to see?)

Post by Pipe smurf »

OZHAMMER wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 10:31 am My Leeds supporting mate reckons that Joe Gelhardt is going to be special - “Skilful and intelligent beyond his years.” He’s only 20.

I’ve never seen him play. What are the thoughts of those that have? Worth a punt if Leeds are relegated?
Don't know anything about that lad but I'd take Raphinha (25 million relegation release clause) of them and the defender Struijk too

HamstasParadise

Post by HamstasParadise »

OZHAMMER wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 10:31 am My Leeds supporting mate reckons that Joe Gelhardt is going to be special - “Skilful and intelligent beyond his years.” He’s only 20.

I’ve never seen him play. What are the thoughts of those that have? Worth a punt if Leeds are relegated?
He was lively against Brighton on Sunday and showed a tremendous bit of skill to set up Leeds injury time equaliser.
“Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.” (Mark Twain.)

Flairon

Post by Flairon »

With one of the oldest squads in the Premiership, how many new players do we realistically need?

I would estimate that we need at least 6, which includes:

1. A Keeper
2. At least 1 central defender.
3. At least one new left back.
4. A right back.
5. A creative midfielder.
6. At least one striker.
Flairon

JayK

Post by JayK »

Flairon wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 9:39 am With one of the oldest squads in the Premiership, how many new players do we realistically need?

1. A Keeper
4. A right back.
6. At least one striker.
Well, we’ve got loans going back and contracts out or running out in a year so we need a few, as well as strengthening areas.

Loans
Areola
Kral

Retired
Noble

Out of contract this year
Fredericks
Yarmalenko
Fabianski
Martin
Ogbonna

Out of contract next year
Randolph
Diop
Dawson
Cresswell
Coufal
Lanzini

Strength needed now
LB
ST
CM
GK
CB
COYI!!!

Flairon

Post by Flairon »

Give or take, you are thinking along the same lines as I am.
Flairon

OZHAMMER

Post by OZHAMMER »

Flairon wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 9:39 am With one of the oldest squads in the Premiership, how many new players do we realistically need?

1. A Keeper
4. A right back.
6. At least one striker.
Our finishing position should determine how many we need. In the unlikely event of European qualification, and the mass exodus of out of contract players, I’ll say ten need to come in.

We scraped by with four central defenders, but now that they have obtained injuries, it’s likely that they’ll be more susceptible to more injuries more often.

A new backline is required, whether in one fell swoop, or over the course of the next twelve months.

Three or four midfielders to replace Noble, Vlasic, Kral, Yarmolenko. But they need to be upgrades - no point in bringing like for like re skill level, because they just didn’t cut the mustard. (Not shitting on Nobes - it’s just what happens the closer you get to retirement.)

And strikers? West Ham doesn’t do strikers.

JayK

Post by JayK »

OZHAMMER wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 10:21 am

1. A Keeper
4. A right back.
6. At least one striker.
Our finishing position should determine how many we need. In the unlikely event of European qualification, and the mass exodus of out of contract players, I’ll say ten need to come in.

We scraped by with four central defenders, but now that they have obtained injuries, it’s likely that they’ll be more susceptible to more injuries more often.

A new backline is required, whether in one fell swoop, or over the course of the next twelve months.

Three or four midfielders to replace Noble, Vlasic, Kral, Yarmolenko. But they need to be upgrades - no point in bringing like for like re skill level, because they just didn’t cut the mustard. (Not shitting on Nobes - it’s just what happens the closer you get to retirement.)

It’s ok having the same size squad as this season as long as you trust and use those you do have more frequently
COYI!!!

OZHAMMER

Post by OZHAMMER »

JayK wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 10:52 am
OZHAMMER wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 10:21 am

It’s ok having the same size squad as this season as long as you trust and use those you do have more frequently
My thoughts exactly. I’m sure the squad only looked as small as it did because so many players weren’t used.

palerider

Post by palerider »

Very least...

Keeper
Left back
Central defender
Left winger
Striker

And all that depends on us not losing any of our important players.

We can just about cope without another holding midfielder by putting Conor Coventry in the squad and giving him game time. Also Daniel Chesters negates the need for another inventive midfielder. One would be nice but I'd sooner see us spunk out proper money for proper players in the positions mentioned.

Batman and Robin on youtube say a deal is close for Areola. Why not ? He had a dodgy game at the Kiddy-fiddlers but wasn't alone. We're pushing hard for Nayef Aguerd in central defence and Lewis-Potter from 'Ull. Don't know much about foreign left-backs but Antonee Robinson from Fulham was voted the best in the championship and including Arfur in the deal, who they're keen on, might be a sweetener.

Which leaves the striker.

Olly Watkins or Richarlison would be my choice and most of the budget should go on it.
Last edited by palerider on Tue May 17, 2022 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

JayK

Post by JayK »

OZHAMMER wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 10:55 am
JayK wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 10:52 am
My thoughts exactly. I’m sure the squad only looked as small as it did because so many players weren’t used.
I mean, it is still small compared to others when you see we had kids and extra keepers on the bench at times, who were clearly never gonna get on. But if we had quality deeper through the squad you’d like to think more may have been used
COYI!!!