Postponements

Chat about anything football related here!
Newmarket

Re: Postponements

Post by Newmarket »

Bring back Jonathon !

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

I like the bit about fans who "will have travelled great distances". That post was put up at 17.00 on Saturday for a game due to kick off almost 24 hours later. I wouldn't think there were too many who had set out on their journey to North London a whole day before kick off.

And reference to UEFA ordering them to forfeit their game in the Europa is hardly relevant as that competition's rules are set by a different body. And, it seems, applied according to those rules. Unlike the Premier League of which Tottenham are a part and, no doubt, have an input into the rules governing postponements.
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

eskimo joe

Post by eskimo joe »

I guess all spuds don't live in London and probably travel in, but as you say, they had over 24 hours notice, more if you take into consideration the fact it was mentioned many days ago.

As for the Europa Dibacle, I'm guessing they were happy to be out of it and to be able to put the breaks on their dip in form. And let's be honest, I bet you a pound for a penny they could have fielded a team, even had it comprised of three quarters youth. Not as if it hadn't been done. Much better to have gone out trying instead of going out crying.
whufc_crest whufc_crest whufc_crest

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

eskimo joe wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:31 am I guess all spuds don't live in London and probably travel in, but as you say, they had over 24 hours notice, more if you take into consideration the fact it was mentioned many days ago.

As for the Europa Dibacle, I'm guessing they were happy to be out of it and to be able to put the breaks on their dip in form. And let's be honest, I bet you a pound for a penny they could have fielded a team, even had it comprised of three quarters youth. Not as if it hadn't been done. Much better to have gone out trying instead of going out crying.
I have a Spurs mate who has very close links with the club and I can assure you they weren't happy at being out of it. They saw it as a winnable trophy and, more importantly, an opportunity of getting into next season's Europa League if they failed to do so by league position. They also used the competition to play a number of younger players to give them experience and had intended to continue doing that against the weaker teams.

They regarded Roma as the most likely obstacle to winning it, which of course they can't now. A fact which I imagine makes everyone feel very sad for them. :lol:

And just for the record if by some misfortune we fail to qualify for the Europa next season I would be more than happy to see us in it because it would give us a chance to blood some of the more promising kids against moderate opposition.

Ibbyham

Post by Ibbyham »

Burnley request to Pl to postponed their re-arranged game against Watford for the 2nd time due to injuries and covid. Burnley are 5 matches behind the rounds 22 matches so far.
"I am always correct", but "if I am wrong", please refer to the first phrase.

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

Ibbyham wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:55 pm Burnley request to Pl to postponed their re-arranged game against Watford for the 2nd time due to injuries and covid. Burnley are 5 matches behind the rounds 22 matches so far.
To be expected in all honesty. The PL have made a rod for their own backs by allowing so many games to be called off. It's very difficult for them now NOT to agree to such requests because of the precedent they have set.

Ibbyham

Post by Ibbyham »

Whiskyman wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:22 pm
Ibbyham wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:55 pm Burnley request to Pl to postponed their re-arranged game against Watford for the 2nd time due to injuries and covid. Burnley are 5 matches behind the rounds 22 matches so far.
To be expected in all honesty. The PL have made a rod for their own backs by allowing so many games to be called off. It's very difficult for them now NOT to agree to such requests because of the precedent they have set.
Expected lots of mid-week matches for Burnley in February/March time and perhaps more if they postponed this weekend match as well.
"I am always correct", but "if I am wrong", please refer to the first phrase.

Dagger

Post by Dagger »

The only difference is spuds arse Liverpool can’t think of other teams that have asked for postponement but I’m sure others will add these teams have very very large squads there second teams would probably beat Burnley

Burnley just don’t have the resources that the larger clubs have so understand there problems much more than the so called super doper clubs you remember the ones that wanted to leave the prem . Only problem is the prem seem to have forgotten and they continue to help the clubs that just don’t need it

Will never change

Newmarket

Post by Newmarket »

Dagger wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:51 pm The only difference is spuds arse Liverpool can’t think of other teams that have asked for postponement but I’m sure others will add these teams have very very large squads there second teams would probably beat Burnley

Burnley just don’t have the resources that the larger clubs have so understand there problems much more than the so called super doper clubs you remember the ones that wanted to leave the prem . Only problem is the prem seem to have forgotten and they continue to help the clubs that just don’t need it

Will never change
goodpost:)
Bring back Jonathon !

dorsetdano

Post by dorsetdano »

I think one of the ways to stop this (or at least reduce the postponements) is to give the club who had the postponement forced upon them the choice of when the replay is staged. Arsenal have a massive advantage in replay terms as they are no longer in the FA Cup, so postponing matches won't hurt them initially. Burnley are really getting hurt by the number of games being cancelled and with their small squad, they are in real trouble.