Is West Hams small club mentality getting worse?

Chat about anything football related here!

Is West Hams small club mentality getting worse?

Post by 9898 »

We have always had it and it seems to be getting worse.

Very good result on Saturday but the performance was poor and the way we set up, negative and scared, would not have been accepted by fans of teams such as Spurs, Arsenal or even Leicester and Aston Villa. Our fans take it as we are desperate for a sense of achievement, but, in doing so we have surrendered our beliefs and are acting like a Rochdale fan against Man City.

We are doing ok to this point in December, but fans act like we have won the Pl, World cup and CL. Facts are Spurs will go above us when they win there game in hand but their fans are very, very unhappy. Arsenal are 4 points behind and their fans are unhappy. Wolves 6 points behind but their fans are not shouting from the rooftops. Brighton are only 7 points behind but their fans are booing the team off.

We accept playing for set pieces (Burnley-esque) and turn a blind eye to negative management. Would any other team in the top 14 do the same? When did fans accept a Moyes-esque manager, let alone Moyes himself, as manager? Would these same fans not be criticising him and his style of management if he was at another club?

If we beat a team historically better than us, top 6 (Man Utd, Chelsea, Man City, Liverpool, Spurs , Arsenal), even if it is down to luck, we genuinely act like we've won the PL, and it';s getting worse. Very small time.

Is it fair to say that Moyes is the perfect small time manager for a small time club? Is he dragging us down or are fans responsible for the growing problem? Would any top 10 club emply Moyes? We all know the answer is no.
Last edited by 9898 on Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Mum. I've wet the bed again."

JayK

Re: Is West Hams small club mentality getting worse?

Post by JayK »

We’re doing very well for a team who regularly reside in the bottom half of the table. The end
COYI!!!

Post by 9898 »

JayK wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:52 am We’re doing very well for a team who regularly reside in the bottom half of the table. The end
Small club fan reply. I guarantee if I go on the Barnet club forum I would see a similar comment but definitely wouldn't see it on a Spurs, Leicester or Aston Villa forum.

JayK

Post by JayK »

9898 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:55 am
JayK wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:52 am We’re doing very well for a team who regularly reside in the bottom half of the table. The end
Small club fan reply. I guarantee if I go on the Barnet club forum I would see a similar comment but definitely wouldn't see it on a Spurs, Leicester or Aston Villa forum.
A factual reply. I’m not shouting from the rooftops thinking we’ve won the quadruple, I’m just saying we’re doing much better than normal. We’ve been consistent-ish for 18 months now, we’re used to the wheels falling off so we’re keeping our feet on the ground.
I think you’ll find Arsenal, Spurs and Man Utd fans have all been having meltdowns these last couple of years coz they think it’s their god given right to be in the top 4. You might call that big club mentality, and maybe you’re right, but I wouldn’t swap with any of them
COYI!!!

Jacko1966

Post by Jacko1966 »

9898 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:37 am We have always had it and it seems to be getting worse.

Very good result on Saturday but the performance was poor and the way we set up, negative and scared, would not have been accepted by fans of teams such as Spurs, Arsenal or even Leicester and Aston Villa. Our fans take it as we are desperate for a sense of achievement, but, in doing so we have surrendered our beliefs and are acting like a Rochdale fan against Man City.

We are doing ok to this point in December, but fans act like we have won the Pl, World cup and CL. Facts are Spurs will go above us when they win there game in hand but their fans are very, very unhappy. Arsenal are 4 points behind and their fans are unhappy. Wolves 6 points behind but their fans are not shouting from the rooftops. Brighton are only 7 points behind but their fans are booing the team off.

We accept playing for set pieces (Burnley-esque) and turn a blind eye to negative management. Would any other team in the top 14 do the same? When did fans accept a Moyes-esque manager, let alone Moyes himself, as manager? Would these same fans not be criticising him and his style of management if he was at another club?

If we beat a team historically better than us, top 6 (Man Utd, Chelsea, Man City, Liverpool, Spurs , Arsenal), even if it is down to luck, we genuinely act like we've won the PL, and it';s getting worse. Very small time.

Is it fair to say that Moyes is the perfect small time manager for a small time club? Is he dragging us down or are fans responsible for the growing problem? Would any top 10 club emply Moyes? We all know the answer is no.
"We" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

only1salty

Post by only1salty »

Chelsea won the league under the king of boring wins - Mourinho and then replaced him with Conte - another defensive merchant - who is now, incidentally, at Spurs

Now your club are small-time but what about Chelsea aswell?

Newmarket

Post by Newmarket »

There’s not a West Ham fan alive that doesn’t genuinely believe the bubble will burst at some point .

Our sense of humour is what keeps the fan base going ….
that’s why we are massive :lol:

Cheer up and make the most of it you Cunt cos it won’t last forever .

Your fishing expeditions are getting more like a bleak bash every day .

And they all reckon I’m a misog :roll:
Bring back Jonathon !

Dwayne Pipes

Post by Dwayne Pipes »

Make hay while the sun shines
I’m loving every minute of it at the moment.

Post by 9898 »

only1salty wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:10 am Chelsea won the league under the king of boring wins - Mourinho and then replaced him with Conte - another defensive merchant - who is now, incidentally, at Spurs

Now your club are small-time but what about Chelsea aswell?
Mourinho was sacked by Chelsea, wasn't he?

BlackDiamond

Post by BlackDiamond »

Newmarket wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:10 am There’s not a West Ham fan alive that doesn’t genuinely believe the bubble will burst at some point .

Our sense of humour is what keeps the fan base going ….
that’s why we are massive :lol:

Cheer up and make the most of it you Cunt cos it won’t last forever .

Your fishing expeditions are getting more like a bleak bash every day .

And they all reckon I’m a misog :roll:
I've noticed that some of the players (this season) are actually improving. Declan Rice being the standout. Both Bowen and Fornals at their best, are better players.

And both the old dogs, Noble and Lanzini have performed better than recent seasons. Good unity at West Ham and apart from the occasional dips most games have been contested. It's only two defeats that have led to a gap with the three teams above.

And those defeats by a stray goal. Shit happens and when it does,people howl - Liverpool didn't act graciously did they...