Is West Hams small club mentality getting worse?

Chat about anything football related here!
garnett

Re: Is West Hams small club mentality getting worse?

Post by garnett »

Whiskyman wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:41 am
garnett wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:29 am Morning, read this morning that our manager stated that a center half is a priority, that's a good start, whom he chooses to bring in will tell me if the club has that "small club" mentality or he is looking at the bigger longer term option.
Time will tell.
Let's keep our fingers crossed it isn't Tarkowski who rocks up then. :lol:
I didn't rate him either

garnett

Post by garnett »

h69 wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:10 am
garnett wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:29 am Morning, read this morning that our manager stated that a center half is a priority, that's a good start, whom he chooses to bring in will tell me if the club has that "small club" mentality or he is looking at the bigger longer term option.
Time will tell.
We should look at a loan for a player initially and assess the players in the youth team in Cup games. If they don't look up to it then a top CB again in the summer but if they do then slowly integrate them.

If we just go out and spend 30m on another CB then they will likely leave like others before them which is fine if they are not good enough but not if they are decent.
Mmm, another Dawson is my worst nightmare if I'm honest

BlackDiamond

Post by BlackDiamond »

garnett wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:22 am
Whiskyman wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:41 am

Let's keep our fingers crossed it isn't Tarkowski who rocks up then. :lol:
I didn't rate him either
We have four senior centre backs. Two injured or two now recovering. Can we not use, the very promising U23 potential to see us through the period.
That would be my instruction to Moyes (if I was the owner) - get a striker and another midfielder you blasted moron.

garnett

Post by garnett »

BlackDiamond wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:28 am
garnett wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:22 am
I didn't rate him either
We have four senior centre backs. Two injured or two now recovering. Can we not use, the very promising U23 potential to see us through the period.
That would be my instruction to Moyes (if I was the owner) - get a striker and another midfielder you blasted moron.
If u/23s don't play tonight, it will tell me his mindset.

Flairon

Post by Flairon »

I have just read the original post and my sides are splitting.... :lol:
Flairon

h69

Post by h69 »

garnett wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:49 am
BlackDiamond wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:28 am
There will be some I am guessing but since there are also some more senior players who should get a runout I would guess it will be a mix. I expect Areola, Kral, possibly Masuaku, Vlasic, Yarmolenko, Noble to play.

Given that he has already given minutes to Ashby and Perkins in previous European games, I suspect that shows a little of the mindset and so I would think those two plus maybe Baptiste or Alese may get some gametime tonight.

That would work for me. Keeps the subs fit and gives some youth an introduction. I noticed a player called Bernardo Rosa was on the bench v Chelsea but I dont know much about him.

Will be interesting to see how these guys fare. Okoflex got a hat trick in his last outing and while the PL is a massive step up, the EL may give them a bit of a nicer introduction.

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

Time will tell.
We should look at a loan for a player initially and assess the players in the youth team in Cup games. If they don't look up to it then a top CB again in the summer but if they do then slowly integrate them.

If we just go out and spend 30m on another CB then they will likely leave like others before them which is fine if they are not good enough but not if they are decent.
Difficult to argue against that imo. My choice would probably be Nathan Ake, who can play left side and is good on the ball. And it would be nice if we could bring him in with an option, not an obligation, to buy. Ogbonna is not getting any younger so quite apart from his injury we do have to look at replacing him permanently sooner or later.
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

h69 wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:07 am
garnett wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:49 am

There will be some I am guessing but since there are also some more senior players who should get a runout I would guess it will be a mix. I expect Areola, Kral, possibly Masuaku, Vlasic, Yarmolenko, Noble to play.

Given that he has already given minutes to Ashby and Perkins in previous European games, I suspect that shows a little of the mindset and so I would think those two plus maybe Baptiste or Alese may get some gametime tonight.

That would work for me. Keeps the subs fit and gives some youth an introduction. I noticed a player called Bernardo Rosa was on the bench v Chelsea but I dont know much about him.

Will be interesting to see how these guys fare. Okoflex got a hat trick in his last outing and while the PL is a massive step up, the EL may give them a bit of a nicer introduction.
There are some senior players who need a run out, others not so much, so I would be inclined to go with something like

Areaola; Ashby, Baptiste, Alese, Masuaku; Kral, Noble; Yarmolenko, Vlasic, Chesters; Perkins

I'm assuming Fredericks is still injured, if he is fit I would give him a run out. In view of the upcoming fixture congestion I wouldn't even put any recognised first choice players on the bench tonight. The result is completely immaterial to us.
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

h69

Post by h69 »

Whiskyman wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:19 am

Difficult to argue against that imo. My choice would probably be Nathan Ake, who can play left side and is good on the ball. And it would be nice if we could bring him in with an option, not an obligation, to buy. Ogbonna is not getting any younger so quite apart from his injury we do have to look at replacing him permanently sooner or later.
Yep. Always thought he was a decent player though I think he got injured on Tuesday in the CL

h69

Post by h69 »

9898 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:37 am Would any top 10 club emply Moyes? We all know the answer is no.
One is right now :lol:

(happy to help)