Is West Hams small club mentality getting worse?

Chat about anything football related here!
JayK

Re: Is West Hams small club mentality getting worse?

Post by JayK »

terrya1965 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:47 am
9898 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:37 am We have always had it and it seems to be getting worse.

Very good result on Saturday but the performance was poor and the way we set up, negative and scared, would not have been accepted by fans of teams such as Spurs, Arsenal or even Leicester and Aston Villa. Our fans take it as we are desperate for a sense of achievement, but, in doing so we have surrendered our beliefs and are acting like a Rochdale fan against Man City.

We are doing ok to this point in December, but fans act like we have won the Pl, World cup and CL. Facts are Spurs will go above us when they win there game in hand but their fans are very, very unhappy. Arsenal are 4 points behind and their fans are unhappy. Wolves 6 points behind but their fans are not shouting from the rooftops. Brighton are only 7 points behind but their fans are booing the team off.

We accept playing for set pieces (Burnley-esque) and turn a blind eye to negative management. Would any other team in the top 14 do the same? When did fans accept a Moyes-esque manager, let alone Moyes himself, as manager? Would these same fans not be criticising him and his style of management if he was at another club?

If we beat a team historically better than us, top 6 (Man Utd, Chelsea, Man City, Liverpool, Spurs , Arsenal), even if it is down to luck, we genuinely act like we've won the PL, and it';s getting worse. Very small time.

Is it fair to say that Moyes is the perfect small time manager for a small time club? Is he dragging us down or are fans responsible for the growing problem? Would any top 10 club emply Moyes? We all know the answer is no.
Can you stick this one on KUMB..I am so looking forward to the hundred's of replies :lol:
I’m sure he’d like a mouthful of kumb………I mean FROM kumb
COYI!!!

Newmarket

Post by Newmarket »

terrya1965 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:47 am
9898 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:37 am We have always had it and it seems to be getting worse.

Very good result on Saturday but the performance was poor and the way we set up, negative and scared, would not have been accepted by fans of teams such as Spurs, Arsenal or even Leicester and Aston Villa. Our fans take it as we are desperate for a sense of achievement, but, in doing so we have surrendered our beliefs and are acting like a Rochdale fan against Man City.

We are doing ok to this point in December, but fans act like we have won the Pl, World cup and CL. Facts are Spurs will go above us when they win there game in hand but their fans are very, very unhappy. Arsenal are 4 points behind and their fans are unhappy. Wolves 6 points behind but their fans are not shouting from the rooftops. Brighton are only 7 points behind but their fans are booing the team off.

We accept playing for set pieces (Burnley-esque) and turn a blind eye to negative management. Would any other team in the top 14 do the same? When did fans accept a Moyes-esque manager, let alone Moyes himself, as manager? Would these same fans not be criticising him and his style of management if he was at another club?

If we beat a team historically better than us, top 6 (Man Utd, Chelsea, Man City, Liverpool, Spurs , Arsenal), even if it is down to luck, we genuinely act like we've won the PL, and it';s getting worse. Very small time.
:x
Is it fair to say that Moyes is the perfect small time manager for a small time club? Is he dragging us down or are fans responsible for the growing problem? Would any top 10 club emply Moyes? We all know the answer is no.
Can you stick this one on KUMB..I am so looking forward to the hundred's of replies :lol:
F84F2513-32AB-48A7-93E6-5522E8603BAC.jpeg
F84F2513-32AB-48A7-93E6-5522E8603BAC.jpeg (96.37 KiB) Viewed 883 times
Bring back Jonathon !

Post by 9898 »

Whiskyman wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:24 am
JayK wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:04 am

A factual reply. I’m not shouting from the rooftops thinking we’ve won the quadruple, I’m just saying we’re doing much better than normal. We’ve been consistent-ish for 18 months now, we’re used to the wheels falling off so we’re keeping our feet on the ground.
I think you’ll find Arsenal, Spurs and Man Utd fans have all been having meltdowns these last couple of years coz they think it’s their god given right to be in the top 4. You might call that big club mentality, and maybe you’re right, but I wouldn’t swap with any of them
Putting it another way Jay what we are doing is improving. Improvement is how a coach's performance should be assessed isn't it ? We have improved under Moyes which in my book means he has been a success.
Improving from when? I remember us finishing 3rd.
Do you choose a date that suits to measure improvement from?
"Mum. I've wet the bed again."

Post by 9898 »

terrya1965 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:41 am

Answer this question.

Taking everything into consideration eg ownership,finances, fighting relegation...DO YOU THINK THAT WEST HAM HAVE OVER ACHIEVED IN THE PAST 18 MONTHS?

I think if you polled all other 19 PL Club's fans,I think,well I know,it would be in the high 90's,percentage wise...Maybe 98%?The other 2% who voted,would be either idiots, wind up merchants or somebody who knows nothing about football...I take it,you'll be in that 2%. category? :lol:
18 months.
Like most football people we don't count the non season that should have been last season.
This season. Its December. Too early to judge. I'm old enough to remember the common phrase in football 'West Ham come down with the Christmas decorations'.

h69

Post by h69 »

9898 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:48 pm
terrya1965 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:41 am

Answer this question.

Taking everything into consideration eg ownership,finances, fighting relegation...DO YOU THINK THAT WEST HAM HAVE OVER ACHIEVED IN THE PAST 18 MONTHS?

I think if you polled all other 19 PL Club's fans,I think,well I know,it would be in the high 90's,percentage wise...Maybe 98%?The other 2% who voted,would be either idiots, wind up merchants or somebody who knows nothing about football...I take it,you'll be in that 2%. category? :lol:
18 months.
Like most football people we don't count the non season that should have been last season.
This season. Its December. Too early to judge. I'm old enough to remember the common phrase in football 'West Ham come down with the Christmas decorations'.
How come we qualified for the Europa League if last season didn't count ?

Post by 9898 »

h69 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:46 pm
9898 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:48 pm

18 months.
Money.
Football terms last non season means nothing but FA/PL/Ueaf/Fifa have to keep the money rolling in.

h69

Post by h69 »

9898 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:00 pm
h69 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:46 pm

Money.
Football terms last non season means nothing but FA/PL/Ueaf/Fifa have to keep the money rolling in.
Isn't the sport about two teams on the pitch trying to kick the ball into the goal the most for 90 mins (or more potentially) ?

The crowd is incidental and has nothing to do with the game so what changed ?

The pitch is still the same, the goal is the same size, the rules are the same and the teams still played the same number of games. I dont see why it was not a real season.....

Post by 9898 »

h69 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:20 pm
9898 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:00 pm

Money.
Isn't the sport about two teams on the pitch trying to kick the ball into the goal the most for 90 mins (or more potentially) ?

The pitch is still the same, the goal is the same size, the rules are the same and the teams still played the same number of games. I dont see why it was not a real season.....
So, do you believe in home team advantage? Answer yes or no, please.

h69

Post by h69 »

9898 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:55 pm
h69 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:20 pm

Nope.

h69

Post by h69 »

h69 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:57 pm
9898 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:55 pm

Nope.
Sorry.....NO