Fabs

Chat about anything football related here!
palerider

Fabs

Post by palerider »

I read the Independent yesterday in parts.

Although it's political leaning has me puking, it's not bad for sport and it had a long piece about the plastics game. In which the writer said Mendy's cock-ups were mirrored with Fabianski being at fault for both goals.

Silva lost his marker (Antonio) for the first and maybe a more agile (i.e. younger) keeper could have saved the header. And when a keeper is beaten at his near post there are always question marks although it was a great strike by Mount. I'm not sure about the that one. Every now and then even the very best can't do anything about a first-time strike.

But maybe it's time to give Areola a run ?

Whiskyman

Re: Fabs

Post by Whiskyman »

Neither Chelsea goal comes into the category of major cock ups like the two Mendy made. And Mendy has proved he is a top goalkeeper with his performances since joining Chelsea. Proving that even the best make mistakes and goalkeepers' mistakes invariably lead to goals, as Areola's did in Genk.

Fabianski has arguably been our man of the match in the two recent defeats at Wolves and Man City and imo has done nothing to deserve losing his place. Tough on Areola who has already proved he would be a worthy number one but I would hate to see players lose their places in the team on the basis that maybe they could have done better in a particular one off situation.

If we are going to drop players for the occasional error do we also drop Antonio, who was far more culpable for Chelsea's first , or Rice who gave the ball away carelessly leading to their second ?
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

Castiron

Post by Castiron »

That's the problem with being a keeper. People invariably only remember the cock ups.
Can't see how he could have done much more about either goal.
I do remember the save he made against Brighton though to keep us in the game.

palerider

Post by palerider »

Castiron wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:08 am That's the problem with being a keeper. People invariably only remember the cock ups.
He did, and it's not a crticism. But he's getting no younger. He did cost us against Brentford imo.

Just putting it out there.

Newmarket

Post by Newmarket »

I think Areola must have been given some sort of assurances or guarantees to get him to come here in the first place.

And the Johnstone rumours won’t go away so I think Moyes is showing a certain loyalty to Fabianski in what is almost certainly his last season .

Any miraculous qualification for a cup final this season would prove interesting.

Personally I don’t think either keeper has let us down yet but I don’t want Sam fucking Johnstone anywhere near our club .
Bring back Jonathon !

Castiron

Post by Castiron »

palerider wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:41 am
Castiron wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:08 am That's the problem with being a keeper. People invariably only remember the cock ups.
He did, and it's not a crticism. But he's getting no younger. He did cost us against Brentford imo.

I know mate. His time is slowly running down, but he was let down badly by Antonio. My guessing is he thought Antonio would have at least made some effort to get off the ground and the free header came as a bit of a surprise, and from Six...ish yards out. Mounts was one of those.
Hands up who thought he would put his laces through it and go across the keeper, or take a touch first....just a clever finish in my eyes.
Areola will get his time, and he knew what he was coming into, Fabs was always number 1 choice.

only1salty

Post by only1salty »

He WAS at fault for both goals.

Could even see it from my seat in the gods

Was in the air (both his feet off the ground) for the first goal when contact is made with the ball which means he dived a split second late

Beaten at his near post for the second

Been a great goalkeeper for us but his best form is behind him

Castiron

Post by Castiron »

only1salty wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:03 am

He WAS at fault for both goals.

Could even see it from my seat in the gods

Was in the air (both his feet off the ground) for the first goal when contact is made with the ball which means he dived a split second late

Beaten at his near post for the second

Been a great goalkeeper for us but his best form is behind him
First one, from six yards free header, hits the ground and bounces high out of reach, and the second one Mount does him as he squares to shoot across goal, but goes near post. Just a clever finish for me.

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

The other problem with being a keeper is that you make a cock up the result is in 99% of cases a goal to the opposition. An outfield player can make numerous mistakes which often have no direct bearing on the result. I stand by my view that the main culprits for Chelsea's 2 goals were Antonio and Rice.

Even if Fabianski was to blame we should also remember that Areola is also human and makes errors. As he did , along with Diop, for the first goal we conceded in Genk.

Shit happens sometimes.
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

JayK

Post by JayK »

If Antonio jumped for the corner it woulda made life more difficult for Thiago to score his goal. Nothing to say he wouldn’t have scored it anyway but Antonio shoulda made it harder. Fabs was bouncing on the line like all keepers do. I put the blame on Antonio.

As for the 2nd, if Johnson hadn’t struggled to get back due to his injury he woulda been causing Mount problems and he wouldn’t have had all the time and space in the world to shoot so I’m not gonna place any blame for that one.

And we scored 3 anyway, so fuck ‘em and their blue flag :P
COYI!!!