West Ham vs Brighton Official Match Thread

Chat about anything football related here!
Dwayne Pipes

Re: West Ham vs Brighton Official Match Thread

Post by Dwayne Pipes »

9898 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:44 am
Dwayne Pipes wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:11 pm We are fourth in the league ffs
Behind three teams that are streets in front of us in all aspects and have beaten one of them so far
A little bit of luck we would have done them cunts last night , things sometimes don’t go for you.
We have a decent fucking team here ,with a few additions hopefully we can improve further.
Makes me laugh when people say 4tj in December is great. Unheard of.
I keep hearing echos of the old phrase that used to go around football 'West Ham come down with the Christmas decorations'
I know, happy days.

h69

Post by h69 »

Dwayne Pipes wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:11 pm We are fourth in the league ffs
Behind three teams that are streets in front of us in all aspects and have beaten one of them so far
A little bit of luck we would have done them cunts last night , things sometimes don’t go for you.
We have a decent fucking team here ,with a few additions hopefully we can improve further.
goodpost:)

That is far too sensible and level headed for some posters on here.

Newmarket

Post by Newmarket »

palerider wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:28 am
Castiron wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:36 pm
We absolutely bullied Liverpool, and they hated it. Klopp showed exactly what they are about, if a team don't let them play their free flowing football, they try every dirty trick in the book, and if that don't work they blame all and sundry for their failings.
How many times have we been turned over by them, rolled over and had our tummy's tickled?.
Brighton are a decent side, they have got technically good players and they are a match for a lot of teams in the league.
Their equaliser was a great finish, but on another day could have gone anywhere.
We didn't play anywhere near what we can, but we didn't lose.
All true and the performance against the victims was magnificent.

And to concede possession against them is understandable given the quality they have. It will be the same tomorrow. But 34% possession at home to Brighton, however tidy a team they may be ?

Not for me.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of Moyes and how far he's taken us in such a short time but Wednesday had more than a touch of BFS about it. Score early then defend. And yes we should have been 2 up. But there are players continually selected who shouldn't be. And that's down to the manager. If Lanzini can't get a game now there's something not right.

The PL is the toughest league in the world. Rest on your laurels and you'll be kicked up the arse.
But I don’t think Moyes is resting on his laurels at all . I just think he doesn’t know WHAT to do .

I never hide the fact I don’t like Moyes . I think he’s a one dimensional dithering Cunt BUT I too AM a fan of what he’s achieved and with the way the club has been since those two arseholes ‘saved’ us I’d rather he be here than not even though posters either think my opinions are sarcastically remarkable or I’m just a miserable Cuntox .

I try and put myself in his shoes and ask the question what has gone wrong recently ?

Even the most pro Moyes licker has to admit that SOMETHING has happened ?

We should have got something at Wolves and Moyes was quoted afterwards as saying that he wasn’t happy with the performance of certain players .
He got out of that one cos the same players only lost by one at Citeh … history tells us Moyes doesn’t mind losing by one at the Sky favourites.

So he keeps faith with the same players for Brighton and by most accounts they let him down again .

Will they all get another chance against Chelsea , these same players that have let him down ?

Or will he try something different ?

It’s Chelsea so we’ll probably lose anyway but at least he will have mixed it up a bit , tried something else and given those players that let him down a kick up the Arse.

Just because he’s achieved miracles dragging this club out of where we usually are doesn’t give him a free pass every week .
At least I don’t think it should .
Even when most on here disagree.
Bring back Jonathon !

OZHAMMER

Post by OZHAMMER »

They look tired.

h69

Post by h69 »

Newmarket wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:43 am

And to concede possession against them is understandable given the quality they have. It will be the same tomorrow. But 34% possession at home to Brighton, however tidy a team they may be ?

Not for me.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of Moyes and how far he's taken us in such a short time but Wednesday had more than a touch of BFS about it. Score early then defend. And yes we should have been 2 up. But there are players continually selected who shouldn't be. And that's down to the manager. If Lanzini can't get a game now there's something not right.

The PL is the toughest league in the world. Rest on your laurels and you'll be kicked up the arse.
But I don’t think Moyes is resting on his laurels at all . I just think he doesn’t know WHAT to do .

I never hide the fact I don’t like Moyes . I think he’s a one dimensional dithering Cunt BUT I too AM a fan of what he’s achieved and with the way the club has been since those two arseholes ‘saved’ us I’d rather he be here than not even though posters either think my opinions are sarcastically remarkable or I’m just a miserable Cuntox .

I try and put myself in his shoes and ask the question what has gone wrong recently ?

We should have got something at Wolves and Moyes was quoted afterwards as saying that he wasn’t happy with the performance of certain players .
He got out of that one cos the same players only lost by one at Citeh … history tells us Moyes doesn’t mind losing by one at the Sky favourites.

So he keeps faith with the same players for Brighton and by most accounts they let him down again .

Will they all get another chance against Chelsea , these same players that have let him down ?

It’s Chelsea so we’ll probably lose anyway but at least he will have mixed it up a bit , tried something else and given those players that let him down a kick up the Arse.

Just because he’s achieved miracles dragging this club out of where we usually are doesn’t give him a free pass every week .
Nothing has HAPPENED imo, teams dont get bad overnight after being pretty good for 18 months, it is just that teams go through good and less good patches of form. Its natural in football unless you are some kind of freak of a team or absolutely loaded and even then it is not guaranteed.

Against Man City I dont think we were likely to play any better. We we're good until the snow came down and they handled the conditions better than us then. Plus they were the better side by miles and for them to lose they need to be on a bad run and they have got over that now. I am sorry, but this whole notion that Moyes doesn't mind us losing by a goal to teams like Man City is made up nonsense. It is simply that losing by the odd goal shows were were in the game and is better than losing by 5. It is simply that we and he should not start panicking because we lose by a goal at the Etihad against an inform Man City. It has nothing to do with 'minding us losing'.

Did the get the lineup wrong on Wed, maybe but that is easy to say after the fact and we won't know as we may have lost the game if it had been changed up too much. The players that played have earned the right to play but I would have made some subs earlier given that Brighton scored late against Palace and gave Leeds a footballing lesson last week. Then again, I dont see the players in training and they may have all played well and looked energetic there.

Against Wolves and Brentford before them we got caught by a team bang on form who narrowly edged past us. Against Brighton I felt we were lacking a bit of energy. It sometimes happens but with social media you see a frenzy of panic. Too many people have themselves believing we are unbeatable.

It happens to teams like Man City and Liverpool too despite the fact they have huge squads with dozens of quality players. It happened to us last season when we started giving away 3-0 leads in consecutive games but you play your way out of poor form.

Football is about confidence as well. Sometimes a huge boost of confidence can overcome poor form and tiredness and a lack of it can make the team struggle. Again, it happened to us last season and happens to the best of them. We have to play our way out and unfortunately this is a tricky run of games.

I will worry that something has gone wrong if we lose games v Norwich Soon, Watford, Newcastle later in the season but at present I am not worried.

Last season, we struggled against Brighton, they are a good side with a lack of cutting edge, we lost a couple of games we should not have really and we gave away some leads that we should have held onto. Whatever the personnel, we are not in a position to go on a Barcelona type 2 year unbeaten run, we are a good side but we are not that good.
Does make me laugh though that when he changed the formation slightly against Man City and brought in Masuaku, people were saying that Bowen should have started.

Sure we can change the team a little. For the Premier league if you change too many it can disrupt the team balance and just hurling players in won't necessarily help make confidence better so its a bit of a balancing act but for the Europa League game I do expect a scratch side to be put out as it is meaningless.
Last edited by h69 on Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Clayton

Post by Clayton »

Not for me.

goodpost:)

Ibbyham

Post by Ibbyham »

tassiehammer wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:52 am
Ibbyham wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:39 pm

No, I want to keep you as cover for DM's role as I am doing rotation every match days.
Ibb sorry to say but you're not a coaches arsehole. You need ....trumpet fanfare... Numbers!!
Get numbers in the box going forward, get numbers in the box defending and get numbers around the ball in midfield. Then get numbers in the dugout because he knows everything. :)
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Numbers always rubbish! :lol:
"I am always correct", but "if I am wrong", please refer to the first phrase.

Newmarket

Post by Newmarket »

h69 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:09 am

Nothing has HAPPENED imo, teams dont get bad overnight after being pretty good for 18 months, it is just that teams go through good and less good patches of form. Its natural in football unless you are some kind of freak of a team or absolutely loaded and even then it is not guaranteed.

Against Man City I dont think we were likely to play any better.

I am sorry, but this whole notion that Moyes doesn't mind us losing by a goal to teams like Man City is made up nonsense. It is simply that losing by the odd goal shows were were in the game and is better than losing by 5.

Did the get the lineup wrong on Wed, maybe but that is easy to say after the fact and we won't know as we may have lost the game if it had been changed up too much. The players that played have earned the right to play but I would have made some subs earlier given that Brighton scored late against Palace and gave Leeds a footballing lesson last week. Then again, I dont see the players in training and they may have all played well and looked energetic there.

Against Wolves and Brentford before them we got caught by a team bang on form who narrowly edged past us. Against Brighton I felt we were lacking a bit of energy.

It happens to teams like Man City and Liverpool too despite the fact they have huge squads with dozens of quality players. It happened to us last season when we started giving away 3-0 leads in consecutive games but you play your way out of poor form.

Football is about confidence as well. Sometimes a huge boost of confidence can overcome poor form and tiredness and a lack of it can make the team struggle. Again, it happened to us last season and happens to the best of them. We have to play our way out and unfortunately this is a tricky run of games.

I will worry that something has gone wrong if we lose games v Norwich Soon, Watford, Newcastle later in the season but at present I am not worried.

Sure we can change the team a little.
Thanks for the in depth reply . I appreciate it because I think it’s a topic well worth discussing .

I’m trying to be careful what I say here as I’ve already been pulled up on this thread by stating that I think (on its day) that I think our first team eleven is terrific (when I should have said in comparison to recent incarnations) when I meant very good .

You stated that in your opinion nothing has HAPPENED as such . And then go on to say that the team looked lacking energy and maybe are a bit low in confidence.

Are those 2 things not happenings or occurrences ?

You also mention that Moyes may have got the line up wrong on Wednesday and that it’s easy to say that in hindsight yet pages 2-5 of this very match thread there are plenty of posters advocating certain personnel changes and players needing to be rested (yourself included I believe) so that isn’t really being wise after the event is it surely ?

I can’t see Moyes resting any of his favourites vs Chelsea so this match was the one to do it in surely ?

Bowen imo has been one of our better performers having also played less footy than a lot of the others and Masuaku has always been a liability :lol:

My bitch at Moyes liking to lose by one vs big clubs was a bit of sarcasm on my part btw following a Moyes pre-match interview from his first stint here when bigging up the looking after the goal difference thing so for that I do apologise I didn’t mean he actually enjoys it .

I do agree with you though that , yes , sometimes teams can play themselves back into form but I still think that sometimes players need a rest (kick up the arse) and I reckon there are a couple in ours that are feeling a little bit complacent thinking their places are secure when they shouldn’t be . I know Soucek scored the other night but he’s one that might benefit from a rest .
Along with Benrahma and certainly Antonio .

We’ve played without a striker before and for years without a good one .
Let’s do it again for a week or two .
Bring back Jonathon !

h69

Post by h69 »

Newmarket wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:41 pm
h69 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:09 am

Against Man City I dont think we were likely to play any better.

I am sorry, but this whole notion that Moyes doesn't mind us losing by a goal to teams like Man City is made up nonsense. It is simply that losing by the odd goal shows were were in the game and is better than losing by 5.

Against Wolves and Brentford before them we got caught by a team bang on form who narrowly edged past us. Against Brighton I felt we were lacking a bit of energy.

Sure we can change the team a little.
Thanks for the in depth reply . I appreciate it because I think it’s a topic well worth discussing .

I’m trying to be careful what I say here as I’ve already been pulled up on this thread by stating that I think (on its day) that I think our first team eleven is terrific (when I should have said in comparison to recent incarnations) when I meant very good .

You stated that in your opinion nothing has HAPPENED as such . And then go on to say that the team looked lacking energy and maybe are a bit low in confidence.

You also mention that Moyes may have got the line up wrong on Wednesday and that it’s easy to say that in hindsight yet pages 2-5 of this very match thread there are plenty of posters advocating certain personnel changes and players needing to be rested (yourself included I believe) so that isn’t really being wise after the event is it surely ?

I can’t see Moyes resting any of his favourites vs Chelsea so this match was the one to do it in surely ?

Bowen imo has been one of our better performers having also played less footy than a lot of the others and Masuaku has always been a liability :lol:

My bitch at Moyes liking to lose by one vs big clubs was a bit of sarcasm on my part btw following a Moyes pre-match interview from his first stint here when bigging up the looking after the goal difference thing so for that I do apologise I didn’t mean he actually enjoys it .

I do agree with you though that , yes , sometimes teams can play themselves back into form but I still think that sometimes players need a rest (kick up the arse) and I reckon there are a couple in ours that are feeling a little bit complacent thinking their places are secure when they shouldn’t be . I know Soucek scored the other night but he’s one that might benefit from a rest .

Yea I guess then that in every game something is happening then. My point was that the players losing and gaining form is a natural occurrence and it happens constantly throughout the season. I took your post to be that something has happened since the Wolves game since you talk about what has gone wrong recently. I dont think anything is any differentto what 'went wrong' when we lost to Brentford or drew with Southampton.

I would have given Antonio and Benrahma a rest yes based on the fact that I wanted Antonio fresh for the Chelsea game where they do fear him and have a few injuries at present especially in midfield and because I thought he ran his socks off on Sunday at City (although many others did not) but while I agree that the team looked leggy on Wed, I actually thought Benrahma was better than Fornals v Brighton for most of the game (and Fornals is my favourite player), others disagree with me, that's the beauty of the game so with hindsight I would change that and probably would have rested Fornals and Antonio and played Vlasic and Lanzini but I dont watch them in training and it may well have made no difference.
I believe Antonio and Fornals had our best chances to score from what I remember and lets be honest, Fornals cross was a goal even if Soucek had not touched it so what do I know : :lol:

I dont disagree with a lot of what you say but I do think that there is no magic formula to be honest and sometimes you have to take a defeat or two on the journey.

I do think though that we could just as easily have lost the game as won it but we will never know.

Its a game of opinions. For instance, there are so many cries of putting Areola in goal instead of Fabianski in the Premier league and I dont agree with that either :)

Newmarket

Post by Newmarket »

h69 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:57 pm
Newmarket wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:41 pm

Yea I guess then that in every game something is happening then. My point was that the players losing and gaining form is a natural occurrence and it happens constantly throughout the season. I took your post to be that something has happened since the Wolves game since you talk about what has gone wrong recently. I dont think anything is any differentto what 'went wrong' when we lost to Brentford or drew with Southampton.

I would have given Antonio and Benrahma a rest yes based on the fact that I wanted Antonio fresh for the Chelsea game where they do fear him and have a few injuries at present especially in midfield and because I thought he ran his socks off on Sunday at City (although many others did not) but while I agree that the team looked leggy on Wed, I actually thought Benrahma was better than Fornals v Brighton for most of the game (and Fornals is my favourite player), others disagree with me, that's the beauty of the game so with hindsight I would change that and probably would have rested Fornals and Antonio and played Vlasic and Lanzini but I dont watch them in training and it may well have made no difference.
I believe Antonio and Fornals had our best chances to score from what I remember and lets be honest, Fornals cross was a goal even if Soucek had not touched it so what do I know : :lol:

I dont disagree with a lot of what you say but I do think that there is no magic formula to be honest and sometimes you have to take a defeat or two on the journey.

I do think though that we could just as easily have lost the game as won it but we will never know.

Its a game of opinions. For instance, there are so many cries of putting Areola in goal instead of Fabianski in the Premier league and I dont agree with that either :)
Yes Fabianski has been well worth his place recently following a hiccup or two earlier in the season which proves your point to a degree and I’ll take your and others word for the Brighton game as I didn’t see it .

Nice to see you mentioning Lanzini in a positive.

I know you’re not exactly a fan generally ;)
Bring back Jonathon !