Rapid Vienna vs West Ham Official Match Thread

Chat about anything football related here!
tassiehammer

Re: Rapid Vienna vs West Ham Official Match Thread

Post by tassiehammer »

Whiskyman wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:09 am A professional job done well tonight imo. One or two things I think we learned, if we didn't already know.

Fabianski's done nothing to deserve to lose his place but how much better is Areola's distribution .
Diop has to be the left side partner for Zouma in Ogbonna's absence when we play a back 4.
Lanzini still has something to offer.

Special mention tonight for Yarmolenko, who I thought was bloody excellent this evening. As indeed was Noble who a lot of us, including me, have slagged off in the past. Kral looked good when he came on imo. Vlasic is nowhere nearly as dogshit as some would like us to believe and young Perkins was very unlucky to be denied a debut goal by a quality save. Would like to see him, and Chesters who came on in the home Genk game, in the starting line up against Zagreb to see what they can do over 90 minutes.
Not having a pop but where would Rapid be in the English leauges? I never saw the game so can't comment on Yarmo, Nobes or Vienna. Shouldn't have called them that because now I'm stuck with it in my head. " IT MEANS NOTHING TO ME"!!! :D :D
Just like my dreams they fade and die.
But on the positive side..............

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

tassiehammer wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:43 am
Whiskyman wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:09 am A professional job done well tonight imo. One or two things I think we learned, if we didn't already know.

Fabianski's done nothing to deserve to lose his place but how much better is Areola's distribution .
Diop has to be the left side partner for Zouma in Ogbonna's absence when we play a back 4.
Lanzini still has something to offer.

Special mention tonight for Yarmolenko, who I thought was bloody excellent this evening. As indeed was Noble who a lot of us, including me, have slagged off in the past. Kral looked good when he came on imo. Vlasic is nowhere nearly as dogshit as some would like us to believe and young Perkins was very unlucky to be denied a debut goal by a quality save. Would like to see him, and Chesters who came on in the home Genk game, in the starting line up against Zagreb to see what they can do over 90 minutes.
Not having a pop but where would Rapid be in the English leauges? I never saw the game so can't comment on Yarmo, Nobes or Vienna. Shouldn't have called them that because now I'm stuck with it in my head. " IT MEANS NOTHING TO ME"!!! :D :D
Good question and tbh I haven't a scooby where they would be in the PL. At a guess I'd say amongst the group at the bottom fighting against the drop, or amongst the lot at the top of the Championship. For what it's worth I think Vienna are probably the weakest team in our group. But as we all know you can only beat the team that's put in front of you. And I think we all realise there will be much tougher challenges to come, particularly when some of the big fish from the CL drop into our pond. And tbh I doubt we will see too many "squad" players appearing in the line up if we draw one of those big fish in the knockout stages.
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

Clayton

Post by Clayton »

The lads did us proud last night , special mention for Noble who I really thought would have nothing to offer this season and the old boy has proved me wrong as has Lanzini . Through to the last 16 of the competition and definitely some difficult opponents coming up but still think we have the squad to progress further ( hopefully we can bring in a striker in January , one is needed ) .
Not sure why Diop isn't starting next to Zouma in the league but then again not sure why Areola isn't starting in goal , would have liked to have seen Alese given the chance to impress in defence ( maybe against Zagred ) .
The lad Perkins is definitely one for the future , would like to see more of him .
As for Vlasic not sure why so many are on his back , he is a class act and hopefully will get his chance playing the ten role eventually ( he is no winger as Benrahma is no ten ) . Not sure what is going to happen if and when Lingard is brought in ( hopefully not ) especially as we have a few now who can play there . We definitely need to be involved in competitions to keep them all happy , long may it continue .

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

Clayton wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:58 am The lads did us proud last night , special mention for Noble who I really thought would have nothing to offer this season and the old boy has proved me wrong as has Lanzini . Through to the last 16 of the competition and definitely some difficult opponents coming up but still think we have the squad to progress further ( hopefully we can bring in a striker in January , one is needed ) .
Not sure why Diop isn't starting next to Zouma in the league but then again not sure why Areola isn't starting in goal , would have liked to have seen Alese given the chance to impress in defence ( maybe against Zagred ) .
The lad Perkins is definitely one for the future , would like to see more of him .
As for Vlasic not sure why so many are on his back , he is a class act and hopefully will get his chance playing the ten role eventually ( he is no winger as Benrahma is no ten ) . Not sure what is going to happen if and when Lingard is brought in ( hopefully not ) especially as we have a few now who can play there . We definitely need to be involved in competitions to keep them all happy , long may it continue .
I agree with your assessment of Benrahma. Problem as I say it is that if we are to accommodate him we don't get the best out of Vlasic, but nor do we see Fornals in his best role which, imo, is as a central midfielder. Benrahma's problem is that he isn't as switched on when we don't have the ball as Fornals is. And because of Cresswell's defensive limitations Fornals is needed as cover, a role I think Benrahma would struggle to perform.

Unlike you I don't have a problem with Fabianski retaining his place in goal as, imo, he hasn't done anything to warrant being replaced. But Areola's distribution, which has always been Fabainski's weakness, is far superior. I think we are fortunate to have two top quality keepers at the club. Areaola will get his chance in time I am sure. I hope we do end up signing him as he is a step up on Sam Johnstone who seems to be continually linked with us.

But a very encouraging performance last night with the only criticism being that the margin of victory should have been much more.

Clayton

Post by Clayton »

Whiskyman wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:24 am
Clayton wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:58 am The lads did us proud last night , special mention for Noble who I really thought would have nothing to offer this season and the old boy has proved me wrong as has Lanzini . Through to the last 16 of the competition and definitely some difficult opponents coming up but still think we have the squad to progress further ( hopefully we can bring in a striker in January , one is needed ) .
I agree with your assessment of Benrahma. Problem as I say it is that if we are to accommodate him we don't get the best out of Vlasic, but nor do we see Fornals in his best role which, imo, is as a central midfielder. Benrahma's problem is that he isn't as switched on when we don't have the ball as Fornals is. And because of Cresswell's defensive limitations Fornals is needed as cover, a role I think Benrahma would struggle to perform.

Unlike you I don't have a problem with Fabianski retaining his place in goal as, imo, he hasn't done anything to warrant being replaced. But Areola's distribution, which has always been Fabainski's weakness, is far superior. I think we are fortunate to have two top quality keepers at the club. Areaola will get his chance in time I am sure. I hope we do end up signing him as he is a step up on Sam Johnstone who seems to be continually linked with us.

But a very encouraging performance last night with the only criticism being that the margin of victory should have been much more.
Totally agree with your assessment of the three behind our loan striker , we do have a conundrum , yet we do not have competition in the striker role or out on the wing , we have three players who fit the ten role ( Fornals , Vlasic and even Lanzini ) naturally , but really only two who are wingers Benrahma and Bowen with no natural backup on the bench , and as you say due to Cresswell's limitations in defence Fornals is often tasked to act as cover out there .

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

Clayton wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:38 am
Whiskyman wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:24 am

Totally agree with your assessment of the three behind our loan striker , we do have a conundrum , yet we do not have competition in the striker role or out on the wing , we have three players who fit the ten role ( Fornals , Vlasic and even Lanzini ) naturally , but really only two who are wingers Benrahma and Bowen with no natural backup on the bench , and as you say due to Cresswell's limitations in defence Fornals is often tasked to act as cover out there .
The upside of this is that I feel sure Moyes and his coaches see pretty much the same conundrum and over time will seek to address the issue. We have made massive progress over the past season and a half and I for one am happy to wait for the right players to come in, rather than see us rushing around like headless chickens in a frantic, Redknapp style, "fuck me I must bring SOME players in", panic buying mode.

I don't want to see more Gary Charles, Ragnvald Somas, Hayden Foxes, Scott Means and a lot of the other assorted crap that shipped up at our place during those days.

terrya1965

Post by terrya1965 »

Whiskyman wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:51 pm
Clayton wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:38 am

The upside of this is that I feel sure Moyes and his coaches see pretty much the same conundrum and over time will seek to address the issue. We have made massive progress over the past season and a half and I for one am happy to wait for the right players to come in, rather than see us rushing around like headless chickens in a frantic, Redknapp style, "fuck me I must bring SOME players in", panic buying mode.

I don't want to see more Gary Charles, Ragnvald Somas, Hayden Foxes, Scott Means and a lot of the other assorted crap that shipped up at our place during those days.
I think we all got on the bandwagon of saying"We need players".

As you you say,Moyes and his coaches knows exactly what his doing..Leave it to them.

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

terrya1965 wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:10 pm
Whiskyman wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:51 pm

I think we all got on the bandwagon of saying"We need players".

As you you say,Moyes and his coaches knows exactly what his doing..Leave it to them.
Clubs always need players if they want to continually improve. But under Redknapp we got the occasional gem, like diCanio, Sinclair & Kanoute but tons of crap and washed up alkies, presumably because of the contents of brown envelopes because it certainly had no bearing on their value to the football club.

Flairon

Post by Flairon »

To be fair, during the game; I was thinking how average and ineffectual Yarmolenko looked, when he went and scored.
Flairon

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

Flairon wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:56 am To be fair, during the game; I was thinking how average and ineffectual Yarmolenko looked, when he went and scored.
Tbh I thought Yarmolenko had an excellent game. Which I guess proves we all see things differently.