West Ham vs Genk Official Match Thread

Chat about anything football related here!
Rick_Deckard

Re: West Ham vs Genk Official Match Thread

Post by Rick_Deckard »

Dawson 1 - 0

BillyDWhizz

Post by BillyDWhizz »

1-0. Straight out of the Sam Allardyce set-play book. I don't mid the fact that we score so many goals from set pieces as it's a great habit to have but how good would we be if we also had the knack of scoring from open play as frequently?

Really highlights the stupidity of not signing at least one striker this summer.
Who the fuck is General Failure and why is he reading my harddisk?

dagenhamdave

Post by dagenhamdave »

JayK wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:48 pm
dagenhamdave wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:42 pm Nothing to write home about tonight, same old story if only we had a goal scorer.
Like Dawson maybe :P
People moan about Dawson, but is there a better person in the opposing box for dead ball situations in the PL?

BlackDiamond

Post by BlackDiamond »

HT 1-0 excellent Craig Dawson header from the Ronaldo heading catalogue gives the team the breakthrough moment.
Dawson really is magnificent in the air and doesn't mind getting his hands dirty for the cause. Unlike his mucker Issa Diop (wearing gloves) who looks unlikely to leave any finger prints on this game. The big wuss

Ibbyham

Post by Ibbyham »

BillyDWhizz wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:51 pm 1-0. Straight out of the Sam Allardyce set-play book. I don't mid the fact that we score so many goals from set pieces as it's a great habit to have but how good would we be if we also had the knack of scoring from open play as frequently?

Really highlights the stupidity of not signing at least one striker this summer.
Totally agreed, only Antonio can score from open play but others, they don't. Need a quality striker than Yarmolenko
"I am always correct", but "if I am wrong", please refer to the first phrase.

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

BillyDWhizz wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:51 pm 1-0. Straight out of the Sam Allardyce set-play book. I don't mid the fact that we score so many goals from set pieces as it's a great habit to have but how good would we be if we also had the knack of scoring from open play as frequently?

Personally I think it’s more lack of creativity in midfield particularly when Fornals is missing. Most of our Pret is coming from Creswell on the left and on occasions from Johnson on the right side. Lanzini has been totally ineffective and Vlasic has shown a couple of nice touches but hasn’t influenced the game at all. That said Bowen did miss a great chance with an air shot.

Hopefully we’ll play with a bit more pace second half.
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

hamstew

Post by hamstew »

JayK wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:29 pm Their right winger looks a bit….errrr……nippy
I know their right winger is Japanese but there is no need to be racist! Please ask me if you don't get what I mean, of course if you meant it in the same way as me, then I apologise. ;)

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

Ibbyham wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:54 pm

Totally agreed, only Antonio can score from open play but others, they don't. Need a quality striker than Yarmolenko
Yarmolenko’s been our best player imo. But he’s not what I’d call a frontline striker. I had assumed Vlasic was a kind of fox in the box player but he clearly isn’t. Didn’t see him play for Everton so that’s my excuse. ;)
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

Ibbyham

Post by Ibbyham »

Whiskyman wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:02 pm
Ibbyham wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:54 pm

Yarmolenko’s been our best player imo. But he’s not what I’d call a frontline striker. I had assumed Vlasic was a kind of fox in the box player but he clearly isn’t. Didn’t see him play for Everton so that’s my excuse. ;)
Vlastic will get better otherwise the 9898 will start slagging us off in glee. Yarmolenko is slightly better than he did last season.

Ibbyham

Post by Ibbyham »

As Group Table H stand, West Ham are 6 points above the rest......