No heading

Chat about anything football related here!
JayK

No heading

Post by JayK »

1st game of football to be played with no heading outside the area in the 1st half and none at all in the 2nd.

New national sport to be tiddlywinks with full face masks

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sport ... month.html
COYI!!!

BlackDiamond

Re: No heading

Post by BlackDiamond »

JayK wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:24 pm 1st game of football to be played with no heading outside the area in the 1st half and none at all in the 2nd.

I get the concern and sensitivity about the dementia connection however I'm not sure it's been proven that heading a football contributes in an
increased risk of developing dementia. And if it does, by how much.

The universal three causes of death are cancer,heart disease and dementia. So an ex footballer dying due to complications of dementia (and it's the complications of the disease,always the complications) would be just as normal, as an ex tennis player dying - unless of course it turns out it isn't.

As Granny was fond of saying - Charlie don't surf...and she never headed a football in her life

JayK

Post by JayK »

BlackDiamond wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:37 am
JayK wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:24 pm 1st game of football to be played with no heading outside the area in the 1st half and none at all in the 2nd.

I get the concern and sensitivity about the dementia connection however I'm not sure it's been proven that heading a football contributes in an
increased risk of developing dementia. And if it does, by how much.

The universal three causes of death are cancer,heart disease and dementia. So an ex footballer dying due to complications of dementia (and it's the complications of the disease,always the complications) would be just as normal, as an ex tennis player dying - unless of course it turns out it isn't.

As Granny was fond of saying - Charlie don't surf...and she never headed a football in her life
I like granny already :D
COYI!!!

andyginbrasil

Post by andyginbrasil »

I don't really understand their way of thinking, most of the players suffering from dementia are from the days that the old leather balls were used. These were replaced in the 80's by the much lighter synthetic balls.
When the the old leather balls got wet they weighed twice as much, and fuck did they give your old bonce a pounding, but these new balls are delightful to head.
As someone has already said tiddlywinks will soon be our national sport but players will need full body armour and heavy duty head and eye protection.

eskimo joe

Post by eskimo joe »

Like an oval shape ball has got a big enough surface to cause such an impact, if it hurts so much then maybe they should start using their rackets they are equipped with. Heaven forbid Soon rugby players will have to stop using skates incase they break their ankles,
whufc_crest whufc_crest whufc_crest

terrya1965

Post by terrya1965 »

A delicate subject.

I do tend to agree with Andy here.

The balls were a lot heavier and harder back in the day in comparison to nowadays.

Growing up in the 1970s,on a wet day,it was like heading a medicine ball. :lol:

I would have thought,they'd be doing a study on players of today.

Brookbonds73

Post by Brookbonds73 »

I bet Vincent Kompany won't have any problems later on, he has a bonce like a beach ball.
Love a cup of Rosey I do.