Dinamo Zagreb vs West Ham Official Match Thread

Chat about anything football related here!
Whiskyman

Re: Dinamo Zagreb vs West Ham Official Match Thread

Post by Whiskyman »

terrya1965 wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:22 pm
9898 wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:47 am

The Europa League is not worth a rub of soap.
EVERY club sees it as a hindrance.
I don't particularly like the set up of the Europa League.I much preferred it in it's old format,knock out and jeopardy from the start than the League format.The introduction of the 3rd places losers from the CL has well is absolutely ludicrous in my book.

But ,as some of said,it raises the profile of the club and it lets our fans experience a few trips away too.

I will agree with you,it's going to effect our League form big time.
Two games a week will be a challenge and Moyes will have to manage to squad sensibly. But I can't get my head around the idea some people have that it's harder to play on Thursdays and Sundays than it is on Wednesday and Saturday. Surely it's the same rest period so what's the difference ?

If we don't give the competition our best efforts we're entitled to ask what's the point of the club aren't we ? We're not going to ever challenge for the title so isn't qualifying for a European competition the height of our ambition ? It would be nice to make the Champions League but even that is likely to be out of our reach given the huge difference in finances between us and the big boys.
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

garnett

Post by garnett »

Towie wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:00 am
9898 wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:26 am Didn't West Ham fans used to laugh at Spurs when they played Thursday night football?
Off course we laughed at them, and still do.

They are founder members of the derided ESL, yet can’t even qualify for Champions league or Europa league.

That my old son is 100% FACT.
I get both sides of the argument, but failure like the last time leaves us wide open for ridicule from everyone, and unfortunately the power's haven't done enough to make us competitive add to that our only striker's stupidity, nuff said.

h69

Post by h69 »

garnett wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:23 pm
Towie wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:00 am

Off course we laughed at them, and still do.

They are founder members of the derided ESL, yet can’t even qualify for Champions league or Europa league.

That my old son is 100% FACT.
I get both sides of the argument, but failure like the last time leaves us wide open for ridicule from everyone, and unfortunately the power's haven't done enough to make us competitive add to that our only striker's stupidity, nuff said.
Firstly, there won't be failure like last time. We failed in the qualifying round to a tiny club, that is why we were ridiculed. We are in the group stage this time.

Secondly, what more do you want player wise. We spent a good wedge and we have a decent team. Yes, there are a couple of others that we could add to the squad but it is pretty difficult to do that and we have a manager that won't pad the squad for the sake of it. That has worked so far and who is to say it won't work going forward.
We are definitely competitive but it is a tough tournament and it will depend on how we find playing against different styles and a bit of luck. To say we are not competitive is rubbish.

Finally, the striker situation. He was a fool but it happens. I dont think he is banned for anything more than the Man Utd game so it won't affect our game in Europe.

Not saying we will win the tournament but we are as good as most and better than many there.

Oh and I agree. Never understood why Thursday/Sunday is more of a problem than Wednesday/Saturday

Ibbyham

Post by Ibbyham »

h69 wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:48 pm
garnett wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:23 pm

Firstly, there won't be failure like last time. We failed in the qualifying round to a tiny club, that is why we were ridiculed. We are in the group stage this time.

Secondly, what more do you want player wise. We spent a good wedge and we have a decent team. Yes, there are a couple of others that we could add to the squad but it is pretty difficult to do that and we have a manager that won't pad the squad for the sake of it. That has worked so far and who is to say it won't work going forward.
We are definitely competitive but it is a tough tournament and it will depend on how we find playing against different styles and a bit of luck. To say we are not competitive is rubbish.

Finally, the striker situation. He was a fool but it happens. I dont think he is banned for anything more than the Man Utd game so it won't affect our game in Europe.

Not saying we will win the tournament but we are as good as most and better than many there.

Oh and I agree. Never understood why Thursday/Sunday is more of a problem than Wednesday/Saturday
Totally agreed of the above and we got a better squad than in 2016 as Bilic put some youth/reserve players in qualifying round and failed to win as our strength in depth were very poor. This season we got better players on the bench and our main squad are far more stronger than 5 years ago. I preferred Europa Cup on a Tuesday/Wed than Thursday.
"I am always correct", but "if I am wrong", please refer to the first phrase.

terrya1965

Post by terrya1965 »

Whiskyman wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:14 pm
terrya1965 wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:22 pm

I don't particularly like the set up of the Europa League.I much preferred it in it's old format,knock out and jeopardy from the start than the League format.The introduction of the 3rd places losers from the CL has well is absolutely ludicrous in my book.

But ,as some of said,it raises the profile of the club and it lets our fans experience a few trips away too.

I will agree with you,it's going to effect our League form big time.
Two games a week will be a challenge and Moyes will have to manage to squad sensibly. But I can't get my head around the idea some people have that it's harder to play on Thursdays and Sundays than it is on Wednesday and Saturday. Surely it's the same rest period so what's the difference ?

If we don't give the competition our best efforts we're entitled to ask what's the point of the club aren't we ? We're not going to ever challenge for the title so isn't qualifying for a European competition the height of our ambition ? It would be nice to make the Champions League but even that is likely to be out of our reach given the huge difference in finances between us and the big boys.
Where did I mention the Thursday/Sunday thing?

Though if you are playing Wednesday/Saturday,you will probably have a bigger squad,because you will have the extra income.

The difference between us and the majority who qualify for Europe is the squad size.We never had the squad last year and we certainly haven't got it this season.One central striker is an utter joke to be playing twice a week.

Basically you need 2 XI's to have any chance of success.We haven't got that.It's going to be a up and down season and a bit more moaning on here for sure.I have a feeling,Numbers will be saying "I told you so",quite a few times this season.

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

terrya1965 wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:29 pm

You didn’t and I didn’t say it was you who said it.
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

Ibbyham

Post by Ibbyham »

terrya1965 wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:29 pm

Though if you are playing Wednesday/Saturday,you will probably have a bigger squad,because you will have the extra income.

The difference between us and the majority who qualify for Europe is the squad size.We never had the squad last year and we certainly haven't got it this season.One central striker is an utter joke to be playing twice a week.

Basically you need 2 XI's to have any chance of success.We haven't got that.It's going to be a up and down season and a bit more moaning on here for sure.I have a feeling,Numbers will be saying "I told you so",quite a few times this season.
Our board is the problem, we should have got Edouard instead of Palace and need a left-back as well but our board wasn't ambition enough. Now we got a new recruitment staff, Rob Newman and I hope he will get the players that Moyes wanted WITHOUT Sullivan interference especially wages. Not sure how much cash left in the transfer kitty for January but hope to get at least a striker and a left back.
"I am always correct", but "if I am wrong", please refer to the first phrase.

JayK

Post by JayK »

The biggest issue I see with Thursday/Sunday as opposed to Wednesday/Saturday is that Sunday is a school night as people have work the next day and it’s notoriously a family day whereas Saturday has always been a football and on the lash night.
COYI!!!

andyginbrasil

Post by andyginbrasil »

Ibbyham wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:16 pm Not sure how much cash left in the transfer kitty for January but hope to get at least a striker and a left back.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Parry Hotter

Post by Parry Hotter »

JayK wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:53 pm The biggest issue I see with Thursday/Sunday as opposed to Wednesday/Saturday is that Sunday is a school night as people have work the next day and it’s notoriously a family day whereas Saturday has always been a football and on the lash night.
Aint going to make the players more nackered though is it. Any case Sunday games finishes before 7 so long time before bed time aint it.