Antonio - He's Gone

Chat about anything football related here!
BlackDiamond

Re: Antonio - He's Gone

Post by BlackDiamond »

Whiskyman wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 11:53 am
BlackDiamond wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 11:15 am
He is a funny conundrum of a footballer. Too good (effective) to be left out but not obvious top 4 striker material,even though West Ham are in the top 4 (3) and in it, on merit.

He is good enough to demand a player like Virgil van Dijk has to be at his very best to marshall him and then faffs a golden chance by not taking the ball with him; something so simple it emits a groan of despair. I just put that down to him being very much him.
Of course his other qualities are all round nuisance factor and space provider for others.

Anyone believing you can get consecetive 8/10s from the lad is very optimistic. Not happening. However I would rather he was in the team than not in it. It's the classic West Ham way...

Very much like the old 'Cobra'. Nobody wanted to see that name on the team sheet but once he was on the pitch and launching himself hither and thither then you had to smile at the lads enthusiasm.

We are an enthusiastic bunch and we like to see that trait on the pitch. Even if it's a banty rooster chasing his tail...
Ahh, the cobra. I remember getting pelters from a few on this forum at the time we were signing an expensive Geordie lump to replace him. I said then, and still believe it, that Cole was every bit as effective as Carroll. His goalscoring record was only a little bit lower and, as we all know, he was available a hell of a lot more. And lower maintenance in terms of salary. The cobra earned his. Carroll very rarely did.

The useless cunt.
AC was playing with the handicap of a 100 pints consumed a week...and that didn't include Sundays...

h69

Post by h69 »

BlackDiamond wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 11:15 am
Whiskyman wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:35 am

Thing with Antonio is that even when he's playing indifferently he can still pull the proverbial cat out of the bag. I thought he was a long way from his best at Villa but he still contributed towards two of the goals we scored.

That said I'd be happier if we had a bona fide out and out striker, which he isn't, and used him as an impact sub off the bench. Imo that would reduce the risk of injury to him and a raring to go, bull in a china shop, Antonio coming on with say 30 minutes to go against a tiring defence could be pretty bloody effective.
He is a funny conundrum of a footballer. Too good (effective) to be left out but not obvious top 4 striker material,even though West Ham are in the top 4 (3) and in it, on merit.

He is good enough to demand a player like Virgil van Dijk has to be at his very best to marshall him and then faffs a golden chance by not taking the ball with him; something so simple it emits a groan of despair. I just put that down to him being very much him.
Of course his other qualities are all round nuisance factor and space provider for others.

Anyone believing you can get consecetive 8/10s from the lad is very optimistic. Not happening. However I would rather he was in the team than not in it. It's the classic West Ham way...

Very much like the old 'Cobra'. Nobody wanted to see that name on the team sheet but once he was on the pitch and launching himself hither and thither then you had to smile at the lads enthusiasm.

We are an enthusiastic bunch and we like to see that trait on the pitch. Even if it's a banty rooster chasing his tail...
A good striker takes risks.....they don't always pay off.

No worse than watching Mane miss a sitter at the end of the game and give the ball away for our second goal. He's a world class striker apparently.

palerider

Post by palerider »

Micky having a great game is a bonus of course but the main thing he'll do, and that you can rely on him doing, is sweating blood for the team.

He drags defenders away, runs the channels, is as strong as an ox and importantly creates the space for Bowen, Benny and Fornals. Yes at times he has the touch of a cart horse but he also gets his share of goals. And is still learning the position. He is after all a right-back as Bilic proved, lovely man.

And it's why he's as important as Declan to the team. Any back up would have to perform the same role and would be very difficult to find.

Although Statler and Waldorf have to try.

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

BlackDiamond wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 1:01 pm
Whiskyman wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 11:53 am

Ahh, the cobra. I remember getting pelters from a few on this forum at the time we were signing an expensive Geordie lump to replace him. I said then, and still believe it, that Cole was every bit as effective as Carroll. His goalscoring record was only a little bit lower and, as we all know, he was available a hell of a lot more. And lower maintenance in terms of salary. The cobra earned his. Carroll very rarely did.

The useless cunt.
AC was playing with the handicap of a 100 pints consumed a week...and that didn't include Sundays...
Thai is true. The profits at Smolenskys in Canary Wharf must have nosedived when he left.
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

Towie

Post by Towie »

Scored his first international goal for Jamaica.

Well done Antonio.
It’s not what you do it is the way that you do it.

palerider

Post by palerider »

Towie wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 10:49 am Scored his first international goal for Jamaica.

Well done Antonio.
Nice goal too. Thankfully he only came on for the last 15 and the Reggae Boyz are very unlikely to qualify so thank fuck for that.

JayK

Post by JayK »

palerider wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 10:59 am
Towie wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 10:49 am Scored his first international goal for Jamaica.

Well done Antonio.
Nice goal too. Thankfully he only came on for the last 15 and the Reggae Boyz are very unlikely to qualify so thank fuck for that.
Great music though
COYI!!!

Ironworksfc

Post by Ironworksfc »

9898 wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:44 am Sorry to say that time has caught up with him.
Players with his body type fall off the cliff overnight and its happened to him.

Guarantee he will not score more than 5 PL goals this season.
6 goals and number 3 right now. Yet another load of shit from a troll pretending to be a West Ham fan
Omicron is an anagram of moronic

deanox

Post by deanox »

palerider wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:43 pm Micky having a great game is a bonus of course but the main thing he'll do, and that you can rely on him doing, is sweating blood for the team.

He drags defenders away, runs the channels, is as strong as an ox and importantly creates the space for Bowen, Benny and Fornals. Yes at times he has the touch of a cart horse but he also gets his share of goals. And is still learning the position. He is after all a right-back as Bilic proved, lovely man.

And it's why he's as important as Declan to the team. Any back up would have to perform the same role and would be very difficult to find.

Although Statler and Waldorf have to try.
Totally agree, Antonio pulls the backs all over the place and I believe for the best part they have no idea how to cover him.
His work allows Bowen, Fornals and benny to get in their chances and makes our team more effective.
The best team in the premier league/Europe at present is Citeh, and they play with a false 9, which by the way we have done for the past two seasons ;)
"If my auntie had bollox she'd be my uncle"

Castiron

Post by Castiron »

Just seen Antonio's goal. Nice finish. Not a bad return. 1 and a bit games, 1 goal. Good lad.