Reading Friendly

Chat about anything football related here!
Clayton

Re: Reading Friendly

Post by Clayton »

BlackDiamond wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:05 pm

Geo discards his razor and runs the rule over the friendly performance last eve.

Top of the pile, Connor Coventry and Jarod Bowen.

In the doghouse, Said Benrahma.

...and just after the Gonz was singing the lads praises and suggesting West Ham have a ready made replacement for Jesse Lingard in the shape of the wizard from Algeria.

12 hours is a long time in football...
I haven't seen anything from Benrahma to suggest he could even replace Anderson 😲 .

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

Geo discards his razor and runs the rule over the friendly performance last eve.

...and just after the Gonz was singing the lads praises and suggesting West Ham have a ready made replacement for Jesse Lingard in the shape of the wizard from Algeria.

Some people think Benrahma may eventually take the PL by storm. I hope they're right. But others, and I'm one, think whoever decided a championship player was worth spunking £30 milliion on should be publicly boiled. Agent driven transfer I would guess and someone, probably very short and wearing a pseudo Russian generals overcoat, was pulled along by the nose.

Benrahma isn't as crap, as some people here and elsewhere are posting, but he as sure as eggs are eggs ain't a £30 million footballer.
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

BlackDiamond

Post by BlackDiamond »

Whiskyman wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:58 pm

Some people think Benrahma may eventually take the PL by storm. I hope they're right. But others, and I'm one, think whoever decided a championship player was worth spunking £30 milliion on should be publicly boiled. Agent driven transfer I would guess and someone, probably very short and wearing a pseudo Russian generals overcoat, was pulled along by the nose.

Benrahma isn't as crap, as some people here and elsewhere are posting, but he as sure as eggs are eggs ain't a £30 million footballer.
Well prognosis is not great. David Moyes doesn't rate him and his value is not what we paid for him. I can see why he's not in the England team.

Brookbonds73

Post by Brookbonds73 »

BlackDiamond wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:31 am
Whiskyman wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:58 pm

Well prognosis is not great. David Moyes doesn't rate him and his value is not what we paid for him. I can see why he's not in the England team.
Ah yes but we live in a woke society now.
And he's only Algerian on his mother's and father's side, so there's hope yet.
He may well turn out to be the next Steve macmanaman.
Love a cup of Rosey I do.

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

Brookbonds73 wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:41 am
BlackDiamond wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:31 am
Ah yes but we live in a woke society now.
And he's only Algerian on his mother's and father's side, so there's hope yet.
He may well turn out to be the next Steve macmanaman.
Only going to happen if he can sail a dinghy and navigate his way across the channel.

BlackDiamond

Post by BlackDiamond »

Clayton wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:54 pm

I haven't seen anything from Benrahma to suggest he could even replace Anderson 😲 .
I thought after he found his feet (both of them) he would move to another level of performance - perhaps he doesn't have another level.

Be shame if he turns out notto be who we thought he was. But that's very West Ham really. And I've noticed when it comes to strikers or even fowards generally, we don't buy well in that market.

palerider

Post by palerider »

The general consencus now is that we'll be relying a lot more on our yoof this season, the likes of Coventry, Holland, Baptiste and Odubeko together with our marquee signing Oko-Flex, rather than spending big.

I'd suggest a game against a very youthful Reading side is a bit different than the senior team at the Etihad.

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

palerider wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:42 am The general consencus now is that we'll be relying a lot more on our yoof this season, the likes of Coventry, Holland, Baptiste and Odubeko together with our marquee signing Oko-Flex, rather than spending big.

I'd suggest a game against a very youthful Reading side is a bit different than the senior team at the Etihad.
From the relatively little I've seen of the 5 you mentioned for what it's worth I reckon Coventry and Baptiste have got a shot at making the grade. Holland and Odubeko on the other hand are destined for League one or lower imo. Only seen Oko-Flex in a couple of PSFs so can't really have an opinion yet tbh.

Holland is 23 and surely if he was going to make any sort of impact he would have started to do so before now.

palerider

Post by palerider »

Whiskyman wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:49 am
palerider wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:42 am The general consencus now is that we'll be relying a lot more on our yoof this season, the likes of Coventry, Holland, Baptiste and Odubeko together with our marquee signing Oko-Flex, rather than spending big.

From the relatively little I've seen of the 5 you mentioned for what it's worth I reckon Coventry and Baptiste have got a shot at making the grade. Holland and Odubeko on the other hand are destined for League one or lower imo. Only seen Oko-Flex in a couple of PSFs so can't really have an opinion yet tbh.

Holland is 23 and surely if he was going to make any sort of impact he would have started to do so before now.
I must admit, the snippets I saw of Odubeko last season did nothing to convince me he'd be anything more than a black Freddie Sears.

Holland I'd give a bit more time. Wasn't he injured for a long time ?

In any case the way things are going we'll be having to play him even if he's not going to be star in the making, unless of course Oxford United make an offer the dwarf can't refuse.

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

palerider wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:58 am
Whiskyman wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:49 am

I must admit, the snippets I saw of Odubeko last season did nothing to convince me he'd be anything more than a black Freddie Sears.

Holland I'd give a bit more time. Wasn't he injured for a long time ?

In any case the way things are going we'll be having to play him even if he's not going to be star in the making, unless of course Oxford United make an offer the dwarf can't refuse.
I think he does have something of an injury record.