RICE

Chat about anything football related here!
garnett

RICE

Post by garnett »

Afternoon, I said when Declan first got into the England squad that he was far from the finished article, but has he now improved enough to keep his place, I fear not, well not in our national teams managers eyes he hasn`t, who showed his hand that he thinks Phillips is now the preferred holder with Henderson, who he will not drop.

I do think Declans range of passing need big improvements, I also believe he should start taking the ball off defenders rather than waiting to be passed to, pro active, make things happen is his next level.

Thoughts

BlackDiamond

Re: RICE

Post by BlackDiamond »

He seems to be playing to the managers instructions and operating too deep. The West Ham version reduced to a utility function if you like. I doubt he is enjoying it but he's not the type to ignore tactical briefings.

He would be like his old self, if he moves the ball quicker and looks to go forward ten yards before releasing it. He's young, so energy levels should be there. And recovery time between matches should be there.

Kalvin Phillips is a slightly different animal and is more box to box, whereas Declan in his development at the moment, is more like a budget Kante (which should be a compliment)

Now that bloody Henderson has been restored - and he won't be shifted,too big a personality - has Declan played his tournament final game...
and considering the likely opponents in round 16, perhaps he has...

Riceascaptain

Post by Riceascaptain »

When Rice was hooked at half time yesterday England played the worst half of the tournament.

If Rice doesn´t start next game Southgate has completely lost it

Post by 9898 »

Rice has been appalling during the Euros.
Take off claret and blue specs and his range of passing has been bordering on embarrassing. The centre halves have been more creative than Rice and that should never be the case.
As for playing to instructions, rubbish. Every player has instructions but Rice has not been told to only pass sideways and backwards. This was proved when Phillips moved there and immediately hit a 50 yard pass forward.
The reasons Rice has been so poor? Either his bottle has gone and he has not been able to handle the pressure of he has got in a comfort zone for England and felt he could just stroll around and not exert himself.
"Mum. I've wet the bed again."

Brookbonds73

Post by Brookbonds73 »

garnett wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:30 pm Afternoon, I said when Declan first got into the England squad that he was far from the finished article, but has he now improved enough to keep his place, I fear not, well not in our national teams managers eyes he hasn`t, who showed his hand that he thinks Phillips is now the preferred holder with Henderson, who he will not drop.

I do think Declans range of passing need big improvements, I also believe he should start taking the ball off defenders rather than waiting to be passed to, pro active, make things happen is his next level.

Thoughts
All depends on what Princess Anne's telling him.
Like most players under Southgate's leadership, he's going backwards.
Surely if you play a certain way for your club, you should do the same at international level.
Declans not alone, Reece James, Luke Shaw, mason mount, the list goes on, they all look lost.
Southgate's been arsehole lucky. At the last world cup and at these Euro's, he's had an easy ride. But as soon as we meet class, we're out.
Love a cup of Rosey I do.

JayK

Post by JayK »

It’s possible he wanted to save Declan for the next game which is why he was taken off instead of Phillips. Rice has played with Henderson (I think) whereas Phillips hasn’t, so that’s something else that coulda been looked at.

I agree Henderson will be the starter from now on but he’s more a leader than most in the squad so makes sense to me.
COYI!!!

Castiron

Post by Castiron »

Well, if Rice has been shit then what the fuck does it say for Kane. Can't run, can't pass, can't score. Our number one striker.
If Rice wasn't playing against the Jocks we would have lost, fact.

BillyDWhizz

Post by BillyDWhizz »

garnett wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:30 pm Afternoon, I said when Declan first got into the England squad that he was far from the finished article, but has he now improved enough to keep his place, I fear not, well not in our national teams managers eyes he hasn`t, who showed his hand that he thinks Phillips is now the preferred holder with Henderson, who he will not drop.

Thoughts
Henderson isn't really a DM though, he's a CM who sometimes plays DM, unlike Rice who's now an out and out DM. I thought we lost control of that game yesterday once Rice went off but because he's not an expansive box to box type he doesn't catch the eye.

Rice allows Phillips, who by nature is more box to box to play his natural game and he looked ok. When Henderson came on Phillips had to shoulder more defensive duties and honestly isn't fit to lace Rice's boots is in that role.

I do agree with you though, for Rice to be the next Kimmich, he does need to carry the ball more, grab the game by the scruff of the neck to dictate the play and be more adventurous with his passing. A 3 yard square ball is fine if you have just broken up the opponents attack but when you're in 15 yards of space and more often than not opt for the safe sideways or backwards pass then it's only a matter of time before the detractors take note.

However, despite Rice's offensive limitations if Southgate starts Henderson over him next game I think we're in big trouble as our bang average CBs will get woefully exposed.
Who the fuck is General Failure and why is he reading my harddisk?

Clayton

Post by Clayton »

Thoughts
Not so sure your analyst is correct at all IMO mate :shock: , I personally think Rice is being shackled in a similar way to our fullbacks by a very conservative Southgate . I don't see Phillips as the natural partner in midfield for Rice either , surely it has to be Mount and if not available Bellingham .
But then I would of played Fodin - Grealish and Sancho behind Kane from the off and Shaw at LB and Trippier at RB .
But will say Kane is looking beat , so obviously he needs benching .

jameskel

Post by jameskel »

Henderson came on and immediately played a few really good passes. Thats the difference between the two.
Covid in the Boardroom