The Euro's 2020(21) Thread.

Chat about anything football related here!
Castiron

Re: The Euro's 2020(21) Thread.

Post by Castiron »

h69 wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:16 pm
Castiron wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 11:23 am
😂 The ball was coming down out of the air, he has cleanly taken the ball by about a foot, his foot is already in the air. If anyone is to blame it is the Ukraine player
He's not watching the ball, he bottles the tackle and is cautious. It is a contact sport played at pace, not in slow motion ffs.
If he doesn't clear the ball, which is his job by the way, the Ukraine player wins the ball.
What should he do, just let the ball run by him.
Yes it looked terrible the way the guys leg bent but that was his fault for shitting out of the tackle.
None of that matters though. The rule does not take into account his job or what he should do. You don't like the rule fair enough.

The tackle was out of control......simple as that and that makes it a red card under the rules.

It does not matter If you win the ball, if you mean it or why it happened. His foot was high and he was not able to lower his foot in time which means he could not control it.

That is the rule unfortunately.
He wasn't out of control. His other foot was on the floor, and the ball was 2 foot off the ground. If the ball had been on the floor, and he took the player out half way up his leg, then fair enough , but it wasn't.
He has to make a split second decision to clear the ball or let it bounce.
And here lies the problem, the rules are made by people who have never played the game probably, and do not understand how the game works.
The ref didn't send him off, VAR did. The ref didn't see a bad challenge in real time, but some bloke who's viewing it from every angle in slow motion decides that because the guys leg bent backwards, it's a reckless challenge.
There was absolutely no malice in that challenge whatsoever, as there was no malice in Balbuenas challenge on Chillwell just one of those things that happens in a pacey contact sport in real time, and quite frankly rediculous.
Don't even think it deserved a yellow.

palerider

Post by palerider »

I didn't see the incident as I was too pissed.

thomasswe

Post by thomasswe »

mkhammer wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:19 am
Castiron wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:28 am
Not sure what he could have done to avoid a follow through. It was a bit like Balbuenas one for us.
He won the ball, where was he supposed to put his foot? He's trying to clear the ball up field
Yeah I thought exactly the same.....Thought when Ref reviewed it would maybe be a booking for reckless not
excessive force..but no way deserved to walk for it.
Its a red by the rulebook, no bad intention just a clearence but the lwg ended up in the air from it and caught Ukraines player. Unlucky but correct.

Castiron

Post by Castiron »

thomasswe wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:53 pm
mkhammer wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:19 am

Yeah I thought exactly the same.....Thought when Ref reviewed it would maybe be a booking for reckless not
excessive force..but no way deserved to walk for it.
Its a red by the rulebook, no bad intention just a clearence but the lwg ended up in the air from it and caught Ukraines player. Unlucky but correct.
Correct mate. Which proves it's a rediculous rule. Phillips tackle on Kroos was a worse tackle. Over the ball and reckless, he got a yellow. 🤷
Last edited by Castiron on Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BlackDiamond

Post by BlackDiamond »

Clayton wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 11:33 am
BlackDiamond wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 11:09 am
I imagine he will go with the form players. Be hard not to, so would not be surprised to see him field the same team with maybe Grealish starting. Three assists should have elevated him into contention. However he might like to keep Jack on the bench and give Mount a recall.

Of course, looking at the opposition - which is the bleeding point - another manager would get the attacking players on the pitch and win the game in a first half 45 min blitz.

However,we don't have another manager,we have this one. So the game in Rome against Ukraine might not be the easy 0-4 win that most people are suggesting it will be. I suppose a dull 1-0 win is all that's needed. I'm going to forget sexy football until it parades itself like a drunken whore, flashing a glmpse of pussy between those adorable thighs...
BD , form players so surely Southgate should have selected the likes of Foden , Grealish , Sancho and Mount from the off along with Chilwell and Trippier .

I for one put our success so far down to poor opposition and Pickford playing the best he ever has , Germany had their chances yesterday , as did the Czechs and Scotland , a dam site more than us yet couldn't capitalise on them . The only team we have played with the same amount of chances was a very poor Croatia team , who went out to a Spanish team 3-5 who are nowhere as good as previous Spanish teams .
Up next Ukraine , how did they qualify ? , we all know Yarmolenko , but they are no great shakes as a team and we shouldn't have any problem getting past them but the way we are playing that is no certainty , if fit though Yarmolenko only needs a chance and as we know if he gets it he will take it .
Your right of course, the opposition have been basically mediocre and there have been moments of good fortune that have worked in our favour.

The arguments to keep doing what is proving successful or if it ain't broke, don't fix it, have certain merits. England have won three,drawn once and have not conceded a goal.

The counter argument of course is there is room for improvement. England have played four games, scored four goals, averaging one goal a game.
What happens if England concede ? Shit - what happens if they concede twice.

It would be a hell of a lot better if England were averaging 2.5 goals scored a game, then we would have insurance against the odd lapse or an opposition doing something rather good. Perhaps we won't play anyone capable of it. Be our good fortune to play the final against an opposition decimated by covid...

I would prefer a bit of style over smugness any day. The Greeks were smug in 2004 and no one now remembers that with any fondness.

Brookbonds73

Post by Brookbonds73 »

palerider wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:39 pm I didn't see the incident as I was too pissed.

I trust the brush cleaner and anti freeze mix went down a treat my good man.
I tried keeping awake for the other match but the diesel and rat repellent cocktails got the better of me.
I awoke this morning to find Horace the cockeyed llama spread eagled on the carpet, next doors cat hanging from the light socket and a kitchen full of piglets.
It's not every day we trounce the Hun ya know.

Hurrah!!
Love a cup of Rosey I do.

palerider

Post by palerider »

Brookbonds73 wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:32 pm
palerider wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:39 pm I didn't see the incident as I was too pissed.

I trust the brush cleaner and anti freeze mix went down a treat my good man.
I tried keeping awake for the other match but the diesel and rat repellent cocktails got the better of me.
I awoke this morning to find Horace the cockeyed llama spread eagled on the carpet, next doors cat hanging from the light socket and a kitchen full of piglets.
It's not every day we trounce the Hun ya know.

Hurrah!!
It's good to see the country coming back to some degree of normality then my learned friend.

I drove to Richmond to watch the match with some old muckers from back in the day. The boozer was about half a mile from the hotel. I don't remember much about the stagger back other than screams, a bit of claret and shouts of 'Du wahnsinniger' and I was covered in mud and pig's intestines when I woke up at 3am for a piss, but there was nothing on the news so I must have been ok.

h69

Post by h69 »

Castiron wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:36 pm
h69 wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:16 pm

None of that matters though. The rule does not take into account his job or what he should do. You don't like the rule fair enough.

The tackle was out of control......simple as that and that makes it a red card under the rules.

It does not matter If you win the ball, if you mean it or why it happened. His foot was high and he was not able to lower his foot in time which means he could not control it.

That is the rule unfortunately.
He wasn't out of control. His other foot was on the floor, and the ball was 2 foot off the ground. If the ball had been on the floor, and he took the player out half way up his leg, then fair enough , but it wasn't.
And here lies the problem, the rules are made by people who have never played the game probably, and do not understand how the game works.
The ref didn't send him off, VAR did. The ref didn't see a bad challenge in real time, but some bloke who's viewing it from every angle in slow motion decides that because the guys leg bent backwards, it's a reckless challenge.
There was absolutely no malice in that challenge whatsoever, as there was no malice in Balbuenas challenge on Chillwell just one of those things that happens in a pacey contact sport in real time, and quite frankly rediculous.
Flying in with your foot off the ground and ploughing into someone halfway up their shin is a potential leg breaker. That's out of control.

h69

Post by h69 »

Castiron wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:21 pm
thomasswe wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:53 pm

Correct mate. Which proves it's a rediculous rule. Phillips tackle on Kroos was a worse tackle. Over the ball and reckless, he got a yellow. 🤷
Exactly. It is a rule that you are objecting to. The fact it was given a red is because that rule exists.

Gandalf

Post by Gandalf »

h69 wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 5:14 pm
Castiron wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:36 pm
Flying in with your foot off the ground and ploughing into someone halfway up their shin is a potential leg breaker. That's out of control.
I don’t understand why you say it was out of control. If he did a bicycle kick and connected with the ball you wouldn’t say it was out of control. If the ball was on the ground and he played the ball you wouldn’t say it was out of control. So why, when he plays the ball two foot off the ground, do you say it was out of control? He went for the ball, and he played the ball. That is in control.