Brighton vs West Ham Official Match Thread.

Chat about anything football related here!
Whiskyman

Re: Brighton vs West Ham Official Match Thread.

Post by Whiskyman »

only1salty wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 9:01 am I like Benrahama but I appear to be in an ever decreasing minority
I had reservations about him after watching him in the play offs at the end of last season and, tbh, was totally underwhelmed by his signing. But I actually feel for the guy. I think the old cliche about a player "trying too hard" might apply in his case.

I would love him to succeed because, as he showed against Burnley, and occasionally in other games he can produce flashes of class. But those flashes are few and far between and sadly his performance against Everton, when apparently he lost possession a jaw dropping 17 times, is more typical of his time with us. The ability is clearly there but is the necessary mental strength and football brain ? I think that's what the coaches have to work on.

The "run of games" argument is a valid one of course but to be given a run of games a player has to justify his inclusion in the team, and unfortunately so far he hasn't done so. Catch 22 I'm afraid.
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

BlackDiamond

Post by BlackDiamond »

Whiskyman wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 10:29 am
only1salty wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 9:01 am I like Benrahama but I appear to be in an ever decreasing minority
I had reservations about him after watching him in the play offs at the end of last season and, tbh, was totally underwhelmed by his signing. But I actually feel for the guy. I think the old cliche about a player "trying too hard" might apply in his case.

I would love him to succeed because, as he showed against Burnley, and occasionally in other games he can produce flashes of class. But those flashes are few and far between and sadly his performance against Everton, when apparently he lost possession a jaw dropping 17 times, is more typical of his time with us. The ability is clearly there but is the necessary mental strength and football brain ? I think that's what the coaches have to work on.

The "run of games" argument is a valid one of course but to be given a run of games a player has to justify his inclusion in the team, and unfortunately so far he hasn't done so. Catch 22 I'm afraid.
His best performance to date (Burnley) occured while he was fasting due to obedience during the period of Ramadan. That might be a coincidence or something the coaching staff can get their teeth into.

Obviously his overall output in terms of positive influence has been slim since arriving and with David Moyes there is no free lunch .
However his application has been good he certainly looks hungry when given the chance. Which is a favourable indicator.

Lettuce remember this is his first season in the prem and he might still turnip trumps.

Newmarket

Post by Newmarket »

I don’t think Ramadan is a valid excuse tbh .

Millions of night workers only eat and drink mostly during the hours of darkness and they’re still expected to perform.

Besides he wasn’t much cop before Ramadan anyway.

Fornals took a while to adapt so I’m sure Benrahma will eventually given time.

Back to this game , we have a horrendous record against this lot when we have a fully fit squad let alone one without our best players.

Rice was rumoured to be back at Burnley, then last weekend now this .
I’m not expecting to see him again in a West Ham shirt.
His absence impacts Soucek’s performance as he ain’t the same threat when Declan’s missing.

Ogbonna keeps getting niggles , not expecting him back , and Antonio didn’t look fully fit last Sunday , usually takes him a while to get back into form and his performance vs Burnley can possibly be put down to adrenaline .

We’ve hit the wall . 3 defeats in our last 4 at exactly the worst possible time and I can see the trend continuing here.
Having to win all 3 remaining games with a knackered squad that’s desperately short of quality in so many different areas whilst relying on other results to go our way is just a bridge too far I fear.
Besides , what have the Romans ever done for us ?

And in this case i mean Man Utd are the Romans.
Bring back Jonathon !

palerider

Post by palerider »

Newmarket wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 11:24 am I don’t think Ramadan is a valid excuse tbh .

Millions of night workers only eat and drink mostly during the hours of darkness and they’re still expected to perform.

Back to this game , we have a horrendous record against this lot when we have a fully fit squad let alone one without our best players.

His absence impacts Soucek’s performance as he ain’t the same threat when Declan’s missing.

Ogbonna keeps getting niggles , not expecting him back , and Antonio didn’t look fully fit last Sunday , usually takes him a while to get back into form and his performance vs Burnley can possibly be put down to adrenaline .

We’ve hit the wall . 3 defeats in our last 4 at exactly the worst possible time and I can see the trend continuing here.
Having to win all 3 remaining games with a knackered squad that’s desperately short of quality in so many different areas whilst relying on other results to go our way is just a bridge too far I fear.

Full of the joys of Spring today I see. :lol:

BlackDiamond

Post by BlackDiamond »

Newmarket wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 11:24 am I don’t think Ramadan is a valid excuse tbh .

Exactly. However Fulham relegating themselves was another favourable result for us, as Brighton are now safe and have no reason to push any boats out. As if they are capable anyway.

Plus they are a bit meh and if they were a TV comedy, they would be 'mrs browns boys' not 'inside no 9'

As for the Romans, Leicester have a cup final to plan for so that takes care of itself.

And I like to contend myself with the thought that even were we to lose this weekend (laughable I know) we still have two very winnable games left.
David Moyes probably thinks the same way. It's the way he is.

Newmarket

Post by Newmarket »

palerider wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 11:33 am

Full of the joys of Spring today I see. :lol:
95B64C53-8F34-4EEA-A746-90544B20F462.gif
95B64C53-8F34-4EEA-A746-90544B20F462.gif (266.51 KiB) Viewed 843 times
Bring back Jonathon !

JayK

Post by JayK »

BlackDiamond wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 11:15 am
Whiskyman wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 10:29 am

His best performance to date (Burnley) occured while he was fasting due to obedience during the period of Ramadan. That might be a coincidence or something the coaching staff can get their teeth into.

Obviously his overall output in terms of positive influence has been slim since arriving and with David Moyes there is no free lunch .
However his application has been good he certainly looks hungry when given the chance. Which is a favourable indicator.

Lettuce remember this is his first season in the prem and he might still turnip trumps.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
COYI!!!

only1salty

Post by only1salty »

I am not sure a 5% performance drop in a shelf stacker or taxi driver are comparable with an elite athlete competing at the highest level of English domestic football.

The rest of the post is spot on though.

As for the Romans...."apart from the sanitation, the medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, a fresh water system, and public health" nothing

mkhammer

Post by mkhammer »

Nah I'm still on board,has bit of Magic I like that,Anderson has it as well....maybe it's a dying thing in fans....
Bang on about we want to be entertained...someone does it and we still don't get or want it...
Saying that..at the moment everyone fit he doesn't quite make the starters for me....if Dec is fit,and to have a balanced
side he has to oust Lingard...that aint happening...

And also agree with some of the comments on him...he needs to watch Lingard,sometimes you need a bit of foot on the ball,
have a look round and be aware whats around you...reading the game is huge,can have all the skill in the world,dont
have that,you wont make top table in footie.

Future not sure for him....Really no Idea what squad will be next year,he'll be here tho.

mkhammer

Post by mkhammer »

only1salty wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 12:46 pm

I am not sure a 5% performance drop in a shelf stacker or taxi driver are comparable with an elite athlete competing at the highest level of English domestic football.

The rest of the post is spot on though.

As for the Romans...."apart from the sanitation, the medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, a fresh water system, and public health" nothing
And the A5.......How else would we get to North Wales.....