Sam Johnstone

Chat about anything football related here!
palerider

Sam Johnstone

Post by palerider »

The Mail are reporting a 3 way chase for the West Brom keeper. Who's very very good imo.

Before I dismiss this because the 3 are United, the bacon-dodgers and us, it begs the question. If we were to splash the 20 million or so needed, would it be wise if it gave us less to sign other players, for example a new forward ?

Johnstone is said to prefer us as he'd be guaranteed a start. I'm not going Fabs-bashing but he's getting no younger.

JayK

Re: Sam Johnstone

Post by JayK »

Personally I think Fab is ok for another season (yes he has the odd clanger). I’d suggest with what little funds we’ll have, I’d rather see us get a striker and Lingard. We do seem a bit toothless up front at times without Antonio leading the line.
COYI!!!

only1salty

Post by only1salty »

20m no - half that - yes.

Would be reserve keeper at Spuds and Man Yoo.

Fab has been great but he is starting to look like Jaaskalanein (sic) who couldn't dive to his left at the end.

There is a rude awakening coming with some of these fees. There is no money to go around and so clubs will either have to drop their prices or sit on players who are unhappy on decent wages.

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

only1salty wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 9:36 am 20m no - half that - yes.

Fab has been great but he is starting to look like Jaaskalanein (sic) who couldn't dive to his left at the end.

There is a rude awakening coming with some of these fees. There is no money to go around and so clubs will either have to drop their prices or sit on players who are unhappy on decent wages.
Perfectly reasonable observation. But as we are talking about football where sensible financial practices rarely, if ever, apply I think it will be a while yet before the madness ends. If this is indeed a 3 way fight for Johnstone's services I'd be prepared to bet that at some point one of the parties will blink and pay close to the fee the selling club demands.

It's a sad state of affairs but I think it will take a seismic shock, something like a PL club going into administration, for the people who run the clubs to run their financial affairs more sensibly.
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

palerider

Post by palerider »

Whiskyman wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 10:05 am
only1salty wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 9:36 am 20m no - half that - yes.

Perfectly reasonable observation. But as we are talking about football where sensible financial practices rarely, if ever, apply I think it will be a while yet before the madness ends. If this is indeed a 3 way fight for Johnstone's services I'd be prepared to bet that at some point one of the parties will blink and pay close to the fee the selling club demands.

It's a sad state of affairs but I think it will take a seismic shock, something like a PL club going into administration, for the people who run the clubs to run their financial affairs more sensibly.
Indeed.

It's one thing for Bury, with respect, but for the banks to recall the loans for anyone in the top flight ?

I mean, who'd want to be responsible for pulling the plug on Spurs.

I just wish I'd not been so hasty leaving Nat West for Shell when I was 19.

:lol: :lol:

JayK

Post by JayK »

palerider wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 10:17 am
Whiskyman wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 10:05 am

Where’s the end of the queue? :lol:
COYI!!!

only1salty

Post by only1salty »

JayK wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 10:48 am
palerider wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 10:17 am
Where’s the end of the queue? :lol:
I'll hold your hat

Flairon

Post by Flairon »

Whilst it would be good to get him, other positions (in particular the forward line) are clearly more pressing.

On that basis, it has to be a no for me.
Flairon

Ibbyham

Post by Ibbyham »

He is Ok-ish, and at a young age, he can develope more at our club.
"I am always correct", but "if I am wrong", please refer to the first phrase.

Dwayne Pipes

Post by Dwayne Pipes »

Good keeper but nowhere near that price bandied about.