Co Commentator Award 2021

Chat about anything football related here!
Whiskyman

Co Commentator Award 2021

Post by Whiskyman »

Watching Valencia v Barca on Bein Sports USA who have a co commentator called Ray Hudson. He’s a Geordie ex footballer and comes out with some real gems. Today he’s exceeded even his own standards with an absolute classic. After a shot he came out with this classic comment——-Lionel Messi really smacked the snot out of that one.

Absolute commentary gold imo. :lol:

And you followed that up with———If Barcelona let this one slip the Catalan press will be cutting down trees to print tomorrow’s papers.
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

BlackDiamond

Re: Co Commentator Award 2021

Post by BlackDiamond »

Whiskyman wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 9:32 pm Watching Valencia v Barca on Bein Sports USA who have a co commentator called Ray Hudson. He’s a Geordie ex footballer and comes out with some real gems. Today he’s exceeded even his own standards with an absolute classic. After a shot he came out with this classic comment——-Lionel Messi really smacked the snot out of that one.

And you followed that up with———If Barcelona let this one slip the Catalan press will be cutting down trees to print tomorrow’s papers.
Ray has form and his descriptions of Lionel Messi know no boundaries - “Magisterial Argentinian. Magisterial Leo. Running like he’s got a food mixer down his shorts and it’s set to beat.”

Andy Townsend has never suggested anyone has a 'food mixer' hidden in their shorts. And once you've said that you might as well say this...“Genius. That’s beyond bullseye! His dart splits the darts. Astonishing Messi. You could drop a tarantula down his shorts and he’d still be super cool.”

When not making observations of what Lionel Messi packs in his shorts, he can surprise his audience with Rock-n-roll metaphors...“The menacing man arrives and sinks his flaming spear into the hearts of Real Madrid. Astonishing from Messi. All the pieces falling into place. Messi, born into the crossfire hurricane and he is Jumpin’ Jack Flash.”

And if your thinking, can Ray do subtle, how's this for understatement “The personification of nothing less than genius. Messi continues his pyrotechnic footballing show. If it’s not his passing, it’s the incredible dribbling technique and slingshot finish of this halo footballer!”

Obviously the nearest comparison we have on the UK airwaves, is our old mate Jonathan Pearce, who cut his teeth on Channel 5 before it became sophisticated...

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

BlackDiamond wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 12:51 pm
Whiskyman wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 9:32 pm Watching Valencia v Barca on Bein Sports USA who have a co commentator called Ray Hudson. He’s a Geordie ex footballer and comes out with some real gems. Today he’s exceeded even his own standards with an absolute classic. After a shot he came out with this classic comment——-Lionel Messi really smacked the snot out of that one.

Ray has form and his descriptions of Lionel Messi know no boundaries - “Magisterial Argentinian. Magisterial Leo. Running like he’s got a food mixer down his shorts and it’s set to beat.”

Andy Townsend has never suggested anyone has a 'food mixer' hidden in their shorts. And once you've said that you might as well say this...“Genius. That’s beyond bullseye! His dart splits the darts. Astonishing Messi. You could drop a tarantula down his shorts and he’d still be super cool.”

When not making observations of what Lionel Messi packs in his shorts, he can surprise his audience with Rock-n-roll metaphors...“The menacing man arrives and sinks his flaming spear into the hearts of Real Madrid. Astonishing from Messi. All the pieces falling into place. Messi, born into the crossfire hurricane and he is Jumpin’ Jack Flash.”

And if your thinking, can Ray do subtle, how's this for understatement “The personification of nothing less than genius. Messi continues his pyrotechnic footballing show. If it’s not his passing, it’s the incredible dribbling technique and slingshot finish of this halo footballer!”

Obviously the nearest comparison we have on the UK airwaves, is our old mate Jonathan Pearce, who cut his teeth on Channel 5 before it became sophisticated...
I like his references to Ronald Koeman as Tintin. He also seems to have a large bee in his bonnet about Koeman’s reluctance to play Riqui Puig. He’s a good listen.

Flairon

Post by Flairon »

We get him a lot on U.S. TV and it can get old tbh. If memory serves me correctly he played for Newcastle for a short while, before moving to Fort Lauderdale Strikers. He managed the Miami Fusion team in the season they won the league, but lost the play off final.
Flairon

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

Flairon wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 2:00 pm

We get him a lot on U.S. TV and it can get old tbh. If memory serves me correctly he played for Newcastle for a short while, before moving to Fort Lauderdale Strikers. He managed the Miami Fusion team in the season they won the league, but lost the play off final.
I guess it's the old thing about familiarity breeding contempt. I can imagine he might grate a bit if you have to listen to him on a regular basis. :lol:

But given a choice between him and Michael Owen or Gary Lineker--------

Flairon

Post by Flairon »

Whiskyman wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 2:20 pm

I guess it's the old thing about familiarity breeding contempt. I can imagine he might grate a bit if you have to listen to him on a regular basis. :lol:

As a co commentator, I do like Tony Gale.
Flairon

JayK

Post by JayK »

The Scouse squeaky mcsqueak is a fuckin irritation from the commentary box. Gimme IBS over his commentary all day long
COYI!!!

Newmarket

Post by Newmarket »

I always go for the US/Canadian/anything other than Sky/Bt/bbc/itv coverage.

Co-comms and pundits SO much better and a little less , but not a lot , big team bias.
Bring back Jonathon !

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

Flairon wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 12:44 pm

We'll have to agree to differ on that one mate. ;)

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

Whiskyman wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 3:47 pm
Flairon wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 12:44 pm

We'll have to agree to differ on that one mate. ;)

With Barcelona playing Atletico and Sevilla meeting Real this weekend there should be a few good Ray-isms to look forward to.