Burnley vs West Ham Official Match Thread

Chat about anything football related here!
BlackDiamond

Re: Burnley vs West Ham Official Match Thread

Post by BlackDiamond »

More of the same
Last edited by BlackDiamond on Tue May 04, 2021 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

palerider wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 7:49 am
Whiskyman wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 7:23 am

Reckon you're probably right. If fit Rice and Ogbonna will walk straight back in. I did like the way that midfield set up worked last night though. Must admit I was gobsmacked by how well it worked.
Was that not the same midfield as in the cup win over Doncaster ?

Ok it was against a League One side but it was very easy on the eye that day too. Food for thought.
No idea tbh mate. But as you say that was against a league one side so comparisons are a bit skewed. I was both surprised and pleased how well it worked last night on a wet night in Burnley, which seems to have replaced the cold night in Stoke as football jargon for a scary experience. I'm quite happy to admit when I saw our line up I feared the worst.
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

tassiehammer

Post by tassiehammer »

Whiskyman wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 10:38 am
palerider wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 7:49 am

Was that not the same midfield as in the cup win over Doncaster ?

Ok it was against a League One side but it was very easy on the eye that day too. Food for thought.
No idea tbh mate. But as you say that was against a league one side so comparisons are a bit skewed. I was both surprised and pleased how well it worked last night on a wet night in Burnley, which seems to have replaced the cold night in Stoke as football jargon for a scary experience. I'm quite happy to admit when I saw our line up I feared the worst.
Jeez, a wet night in Burnley, a cold night in stoke. It used to be shit weather once you left the North Circular road :D :D and fucking worse past the Watford Gap. :D
Just like my dreams they fade and die.
But on the positive side..............

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

tassiehammer wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 10:47 am

Jeez, a wet night in Burnley, a cold night in stoke. It used to be shit weather once you left the North Circular road :D :D and fucking worse past the Watford Gap. :D
Ah yes, the Watford Gap. The centre of gastronomic excellence for the weary traveller and the place north of which, back in the day, West Ham were guaranteed to return from having been soundly stuffed by whichever team they were playing.
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

tassiehammer

Post by tassiehammer »

Whiskyman wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 10:58 am

Ah yes, the Watford Gap. The centre of gastronomic excellence for the weary traveller and the place north of which, back in the day, West Ham were guaranteed to return from having been soundly stuffed by whichever team they were playing.
Guaranteed on midweek night games but always 50/50 on a saturday :D
Just like my dreams they fade and die.
But on the positive side..............

BillyDWhizz

Post by BillyDWhizz »

Pleased with that and for the most part the performance as I honestly thought we'd struggle. Bit disappointed we didn't walk away with a 1-4 but it could just as easily have ended 2-2 so the 1-2 is a decent result.

My biggest take from the game was the fact that Noble was nowhere near the squad and it proved that he doesn't need to be an auto pick every time one of our CMs is unavailable - different matter if two are out, but that's down to our wafer thin squad depth and is a different point.

We've a plethora of players who are able to slot in to the CM position if needed, all of whom move the ball quicker, have more pace and are more likely to look forwards rather than sideways or backwards. I suppose it could be argued that they don't have the tackling, penalty taking or leadership (although he does like to give away rash free kicks on a frequent basis) qualities that Noble possesses but in all honesty the positives outweigh the negatives.

I'm not trying to bash Mark Noble here as he's been a stalwart for years and deserves all and every accolade the club, fans and other professionals throw his way. However, there comes a point in every Premier League players career when they really just aren't consistently good enough to compete at that level any more and Mark Noble imho has reached that point.

I hope the fact that he's having one more season next term doesn't persuade the club that a new CM(D) isn't needed as in reality it's one of the first positions we need to strengthen next summer.

My hope is that Noble is used sparingly during next year but as a swan song, comes on for the final 5 mins v spuds last game of the season and scores the penalty that wins the game and guarantees WHUFC CL football. Now THAT would be a fitting way for him to sign off! :D
Who the fuck is General Failure and why is he reading my harddisk?

OZHAMMER

Post by OZHAMMER »

BillyDWhizz wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 12:52 pm

My hope is that Noble is used sparingly during next year but as a swan song, comes on for the final 5 mins v spuds last game of the season and scores the penalty that wins the game and guarantees WHUFC CL football. Now THAT would be a fitting way for him to sign off! :D
Particularly if we start the game two points adrift.

JayK

Post by JayK »

OZHAMMER wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 12:58 pm
BillyDWhizz wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 12:52 pm

If Carlsberg done final games of the season......
COYI!!!

OZHAMMER

Post by OZHAMMER »

JayK wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 1:10 pm
OZHAMMER wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 12:58 pm

If Carlsberg done final games of the season......
I should clarify that I meant two points adrift of Spurs in fourth, but I'm sure most would've already picked up on that.

mkhammer

Post by mkhammer »

Yeah true, even have to get the Huskies, Snow shoes and Kayak out in MK 6 months of the year..... :lol: