Anthony Scully

Chat about anything football related here!
Ibbyham

Anthony Scully

Post by Ibbyham »

West Ham under 23 starlet Anthony Scully has run out as Premier League 2 Player of the Month for September.

The 20-year-old scored eight goals in five matches for the lads in all competitions last month, adding a further three assists.

Switched from playing wide to central he declared: “It felt natural. I’ve always been an attack-minded player.

“When you join West Ham it’s your aim to make it in the Premier League. This is a great achievement but I have to keep working hard and hopefully I get an opportunity with the first team to impress.”

Scully, a Republic of Ireland youth international, scored twice in all three of his Premier League 2 appearances and set up another two goals.

His performances helped the Hammers beat West Bromwich Albion, Middlesbrough and Sunderland to end the month three points clear of Manchester United at the top of Division 2.

He was also involved as West Ham beat Valencia in the Premier League International Cup, and starred in a remarkable EFL Trophy success at Newport County.

ClaretandHugh says: There were fears when the Under 23s were relegated last season, and the backroom staff broken up following former academy director Terry Westley’s departure, that the only way was down. But quite the opposite took place with the likes of young Anthony leading the way, clearly filling a role that Xande Silva will be fighting to recapture once he’s back with the squad after illness. New lead coach Dmitri Halajko is doing a brilliant job and appears to have worked the sort of trick on Scully as David Moyes did on Arnautovic. The real proof of the pudding will come in whether he and his staff can produce the next generation of Hammers stars as those he is now working with all came through under the Westley regime. We have little doubt that will be the case and there can be no doubt of Pellegrini’s attention to the youth set up and the importance he puts upon it.

Scully doing well in U23 as he has got better since his swtich from attacking winger to central forward and scoring 8 goals in the last 5 games. Hopefully he will be a new Cottee.
"I am always correct", but "if I am wrong", please refer to the first phrase.