Reece Oxford

Chat about anything football related here!
JayK

Re: Reece Oxford

Postby JayK » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:54 pm

Newmarket wrote:https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/reece-oxford-wanted-in-germany-as-borussia-monchengladbach-eye-permanent-deal-for-west-ham-starlet-a3710186.html%3famp

This bit in itself tells me the board don’t want him at the club for some reason.

“There was reportedly a clause in the Englishman’s loan deal dictating that, should he make a certain amount of appearances before the winter break, the move would become permanent.”
0 x
COYI!!!

Towie

Postby Towie » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:11 am

He is only 18, plenty of time for him to come good.

Stones is what 22? he is only finding real consistency this season.
He also made a lot of mistakes but now considered one of the leading CB's in the country.

Let's give the boy time before we start writing him off.
1 x

Whiskyman

Postby Whiskyman » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:26 am

Shortshanks wrote:
Whiskyman wrote:
Shortshanks wrote:He's not 19 yet and has certainly shown that he is already superior to a certain midfielder.

Based on what ? A single game over 2 years ago.

He should be out somewhere learning the game, not sitting on a subs bench in Nordrhein Westfalen FFS.

So he would have been 16 or 17 then against a very good side with fuck all around him to help. I take it he's not just sitting on a bench all the time but training with better midfield players than we have.

He probably is. But training is no substitute for actual pitch time which surely is the point of sending players on loan. Chelsea sent Christiansen on loan to Gladbach last season. He played regularly and is now a frequent starter in their line up. If Oxford isn't good enough to play in the Bundesliga then perhaps he should have gone on loan to a Championship club where he would have more chance of actually playing.
0 x
People who claim to be modest usually have a lot to be modest about.

Whiskyman

Postby Whiskyman » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:32 am

Towie wrote:He is only 18, plenty of time for him to come good.

Stones is what 22? he is only finding real consistency this season.
He also made a lot of mistakes but now considered one of the leading CB's in the country.

Let's give the boy time before we start writing him off.

Don't think anyone's writing him off. Problem is no one knows if he's good, bad or indifferent because he's not getting match time at a decent level. Imo loaning someone out is pointless unless they are going to gain experience from it.

Difference between him and Stones is that Stones had already played regulatly for barnsley at 18 and joined Everton, where he was often a first team choice on the basis of his performances there. And he's come on in leaps and bounds this season. But he does have the benefit of working with the bloke who is widely regarded as one of the world's best coaches.
0 x

h69

Postby h69 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:37 am

Whiskyman wrote:
Shortshanks wrote:
Whiskyman wrote:
Based on what ? A single game over 2 years ago.

He should be out somewhere learning the game, not sitting on a subs bench in Nordrhein Westfalen FFS.

So he would have been 16 or 17 then against a very good side with fuck all around him to help. I take it he's not just sitting on a bench all the time but training with better midfield players than we have.

He probably is. But training is no substitute for actual pitch time which surely is the point of sending players on loan. Chelsea sent Christiansen on loan to Gladbach last season. He played regularly and is now a frequent starter in their line up. If Oxford isn't good enough to play in the Bundesliga then perhaps he should have gone on loan to a Championship club where he would have more chance of actually playing.

Like Reading you mean where he struggled to get games ?
1 x

Whiskyman

Postby Whiskyman » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:45 am

h69 wrote:
Whiskyman wrote:
Shortshanks wrote:So he would have been 16 or 17 then against a very good side with fuck all around him to help. I take it he's not just sitting on a bench all the time but training with better midfield players than we have.

Which may tell us something about his ability. Or lack of it. And therein lies the problem doesn't it. If Jaap Stam, who knows a bit about defending, thought he wasn't ready for Reading I don't really see how anyone could consider he would get game time in the Bundesliga with one of the leading German clubs.

One would hope that when loan deals are agreed there is some discussion between the 2 clubs regarding the likelihood of first team selection. And one would also assume the borrowing club would have looked at the player to see if they were what the club needed. But this being football I suppose that might be asking for too much.
0 x

h69

Postby h69 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:07 pm

Whiskyman wrote:
h69 wrote:
Whiskyman wrote:

Which may tell us something about his ability. Or lack of it. And therein lies the problem doesn't it. If Jaap Stam, who knows a bit about defending, thought he wasn't ready for Reading I don't really see how anyone could consider he would get game time in the Bundesliga with one of the leading German clubs.

One would hope that when loan deals are agreed there is some discussion between the 2 clubs regarding the likelihood of first team selection. And one would also assume the borrowing club would have looked at the player to see if they were what the club needed. But this being football I suppose that might be asking for too much.

Right....I am not writing him off yet but I think he is pretty far behind Rice
0 x

Postby 5454 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:26 am

I said he was nothing when he first made appearances. No football brain.
Sell for whatever.
0 x

Return to “Football Talk”